Author Topic: Ubuntu Help?  (Read 6017 times)

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
Re: Ubuntu Help?
« Reply #30 on: 9 January 2006, 03:03 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez

Can I use the ones on my Windows install and where do I download them from?

Also it doesn't actually say which codec I need to play a file so how the fuck am I supposed to know what to download?
http://ubuntuguide.org/#codecs
I don't think you can use the Windows ones.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #31 on: 25 January 2006, 21:58 »
I've tried following the tutorial you've linked me too, I pasted the text directly into the terminal and it all seem to install (apart from one or two packages) but I still get the same error message when the media player trys to play an .mpg and I've tried several different files.

Also how do I quit a program if it crashes or becomes unresponsive?
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #32 on: 26 January 2006, 03:40 »
You should try xine or mplayer ... they are both capable of using Window$ codecs :D ... they have never failed me ...

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #33 on: 26 January 2006, 05:12 »
Xine and mplayer are very nice.  I find mplayer to be a little more smooth, but xine has some features mplayer doesn't, so I keep them both.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #34 on: 26 January 2006, 18:13 »
I've tried following the tutorial you've linked me too, I pasted the text directly into the terminal and it all seem to install (apart from one or two packages) but I still get the same error message when the media player trys to play an .mpg and I've tried several different files.
I'm not sure on what codecs are for what kinda files. Try searching in synaptic for "mpg" or "mpeg" or something.

I've used both mplayer and xine and never really had that great of experiences with them - but all user-related stuff (like codecs). ATM I'm using Totem with the gstreamer backend.

Also how do I quit a program if it crashes or becomes unresponsive?
In the GNOME system monitor find the program, right click and "kill process".

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: 26 January 2006, 20:20 »
I might wait untill I get my other PC tomorrow then I can have even more fun with other distros that come with codecs, it's nothing too important anyway - just a few blue movies.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #36 on: 26 January 2006, 22:27 »
Exactly what media player is it?

If you know what codecs you need, you can usually find a package that provides them.  What are you trying to watch, some sort of Matroska thing?  Perhaps WMV?  If a normal mpeg doesn't play, your system is fucking broken.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: 15 March 2006, 21:04 »
Bump.

It's Totem Movie Player, I think I might try a manual installation, I went into Totem selected preferences and clicked on add proprietary plugins and a directory popped when I can install them. I'm assuming I can just copy the files but where can I donwload a simple archive containing them?

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: 19 March 2006, 01:25 »
As nobody knows/cares I think I might be able to sort this out myself if you can answer this question:

I have a Knoppix CD where abouts are the codecs stored and what file extension do they normally have if any?

Failing that I'll copy them from my Windows directory on dirve C:, if you could tell me their location/extention in Windows.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #39 on: 19 March 2006, 01:53 »
As nobody knows/cares I think I might be able to sort this out myself if you can answer this question:

I have a Knoppix CD where abouts are the codecs stored and what file extension do they normally have if any?

Failing that I'll copy them from my Windows directory on dirve C:, if you could tell me their location/extention in Windows.
They would be somewhere in /usr/lib, I would guess.
With xine on this system the codecs are in /usr/lib/xine/plugins/1.1.0/
With gstreamer on this system the codecs are in /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.8/
They're .so libraries.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: 19 March 2006, 17:28 »
It still doesn't fucking work, I give up. :mad:

How about OpenOffice 2.0.2?

I've downloaded it the .tar.gz from the OO website and I've read the readme but there're no clear instructions on how to install the fucker does anyone have a clue?

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #41 on: 19 March 2006, 17:58 »

How about OpenOffice 2.0.2?

I've downloaded it the .tar.gz from the OO website and I've read the readme but there're no clear instructions on how to install the fucker does anyone have a clue?
Search for openoffice.org2 in the repositories, using synaptic.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: 19 March 2006, 18:08 »
Not found - I don't have an existing version of OO 2.x on the system.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: 19 March 2006, 20:23 »
I've have a look through the archive I've downloaded and it just contains rpms, how do I install these on Ubuntu?

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #44 on: 19 March 2006, 20:50 »
I've have a look through the archive I've downloaded and it just contains rpms, how do I install these on Ubuntu?

Install rpm if it isn't already installed. Then use 'rpm -i package.rpm' to install. Not sure what order to install them in though, just try any first.