Author Topic: KDE and GNOME  (Read 2734 times)

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
KDE and GNOME
« on: 30 January 2006, 08:35 »
http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20060129

This cartoon got me thinking.  I prefer KDE as a desktop environment overall, but I like a lot of GNOME/GTK programs and prefer them to many (if not most) kde programs.  Gnome loads a little faster, I think.  

However, I can't freaking stand spatial Nautilus.  I finally found out how to make it behave rationally, but it pisses me off that you have to use gnomeconf to do it, and it's not well documented.  

What do you guys think?
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
Re: KDE and GNOME
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2006, 09:49 »
Editing the configuration file has got to be one of the most annoying things about Gnome, it's a bloody desktop, that means it's supposed to be user friendly and having to edit configuration files is not user friendly.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #2 on: 30 January 2006, 10:02 »
I don't use Nautilus or Konqueror I use aterm/Konsole.. :)

The kde settings editor is great, there is some much stuff to change that cd'ing and vi'ing is a pain.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #3 on: 30 January 2006, 10:18 »
Gnome is too user friendly. I want my desktop evironment to have a configure panel (or good conf files, don't matter) with lots of (useless) options and configurations.

Gnome is hardly adjustable. And I really don't like Nautilus. The interface just isn't fast enough. I'd even use that weird XFCE file browser, than use Nautilus. The only thing Nautilus is useful for, is browsing under root as a user, by typing
Code: [Select]
su -
nautilus --no-desktop
and don't forget --no-desktop, or you'll get Gnome stuff in your KDE.

Also, I do like K apps, but I use some GTK's like The GIMP, and... uhm... the GIMP.

inane

• Kudos: 233
    • http://www.myblogspace.net/inaneframe
« Reply #4 on: 30 January 2006, 12:27 »
Well I think that both projects are doing amazingly well. I think they are making great strides. EveryoneÅ› a winner here :thumbup:

If I had to guess I say at this point KDE has everything to lose and Gnome nothing. Give me an hour and even I could program a couple configurators in GTK. For KDE to be at this popularity this early stage of the OSOS boom is probably not good. K has a LOT of kinks to work out and gnome has a firm base. K is expected to offer all these great visual miracles in 4.0 and I just don see it happening (not very soon anyway and not without great cost to the rest of development.) Gnome is expected to match k3.5 nearly in configurability and fully with looks with the release of 2.14, now that, I can believe. I

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #5 on: 30 January 2006, 18:37 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
Editing the configuration file has got to be one of the most annoying things about Gnome, it's a bloody desktop, that means it's supposed to be user friendly and having to edit configuration files is not user friendly.
He didn't have to edit any configuration file, he could've used gconftool or it's GUI equivalent gconf-editor. You don't usually have to modify gconf settings manually, unless some application developers were either too lazy or didn't want to over-populate preference windows with unnecessary/unfriendly options and expected any users interested in the setting to consult gconf anyhow. gconf is a bit like the Windows registry, except it's actually user-friendly, each setting with (probably optional, but every setting seems to have them) short and longer descriptions (image). Check it out, master it. It'll take you three and a half seconds.

I use GNOME, but don't mind KDE. Most of the programs I use are GTK+/GNOME, that's why I started using GNOME in the first place.

I used XFCE for a good long while before switching back to GNOME, and I wouldn't mind going back to XFCE at all.

File browsers... Haven't used one in ages. I'm far more productive on the command line.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 30 January 2006, 20:59 »
What do you click on to get this?

And Fuck does this look complex, it reminds me of regedit! :eek:
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: 30 January 2006, 21:23 »
What do you click on to get this?
Applications > System Tools > Configuration Editor

Relax, it is like regedit in that it's for configuration, but not all configuration tools are nonsensical. Only the Windows one really.

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #8 on: 30 January 2006, 21:51 »
I like GNOME ... I never had to edit any gconf ... ever ... as for nautilus the best interface is this:

Code: [Select]
nautilus --no-desktop --browser

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #9 on: 30 January 2006, 23:09 »

It's essentially the same idea.  But it's cleaner.  The only reason for that, though, is that it doesn't store that much compared to regedit.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 30 January 2006, 23:17 »
It's not that much better though, this is simply horrible, give me KDE's configureation editor anyday.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #11 on: 30 January 2006, 23:27 »
It's not that much better though, this is simply horrible, give me KDE's configureation editor anyday.
Not much better than what, regedit? I hope you are kidding. KDE's configuration thing isn't bad, but you can't do a whole pile with it IIRC. Editing gconf settings manually is for stuff that people rarely configure, you rarely need to do it.

I'm not sure exactly how configuration stuff is done in KDE, but if you're referring to the KDE control center, which I would only compare to the Desktop > Preferences menu in GNOME, I cannot imagine it giving me access to all the stuff I see in gconf-editor, because the settings in gconf-editor aren't friendly and they AREN'T SUPPOSED TO BE. They're for power users, not newbies. However, the damn thing is so friendly that I could ALWAYS find what I wanted without getting lost/confused, without reading anything.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 30 January 2006, 23:38 »
Well I don't know but a nube like myself should easilly be able to figure out how to add programs to the menu.

And I don't know whate you mean by Desktop > Preferences are you sure you don't mean System > Preferences?

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #13 on: 30 January 2006, 23:50 »
Well I don't know but a nube like myself should easilly be able to figure out how to add programs to the menu.
The menu info isn't stored in gconf, it's stored in standardized .desktop files usually found in /usr/share/applications. If KDE has a menu editor, it should work with the GNOME menu too. They retrieve the menu info from the same locations.

And I don't know whate you mean by Desktop > Preferences are you sure you don't mean System > Preferences?
It's Desktop > Preferences in my GNOME 2.12.0 mostly-default compilation. What GNOME version are you using?

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 31 January 2006, 00:01 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
The menu info isn't stored in gconf, it's stored in standardized .desktop files usually found in /usr/share/applications.

Yes but how the fuck was I suppose to know?

If KDE has a menu editor, it should work with the GNOME menu too. They retrieve the menu info from the same locations.

Come to think of it I can't really remember about KDE, Xfce had an excellent menu editor - most of the configureation was point and click, perhapps the more advanced stuff was in the configureation file just like it should be.

It's Desktop > Preferences in my GNOME 2.12.0 mostly-default compilation. What GNOME version are you using?

2.10.0 - that's not too old is it?