Author Topic: MS Anti-Spyware: Norton Antivirus is a trojan!  (Read 3387 times)

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
Re: MS Anti-Spyware: Norton Antivirus is a trojan!
« Reply #15 on: 14 February 2006, 02:50 »
Tell 'em to switch to Linux

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #16 on: 14 February 2006, 03:33 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
Tell 'em to switch to Linux

Yeah, right - these are people who haven't figured out Windows yet, even though they've been using it at work for the last 10 years.  Linux to them would be like Linux to a dog.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #17 on: 14 February 2006, 09:42 »
Quote from: worker201
Yeah, right - these are people who haven't figured out Windows yet, even though they've been using it at work for the last 10 years.  Linux to them would be like Linux to a dog.

That is exactly why it won't matter what operating system they use at work. The typists will use anything.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #18 on: 14 February 2006, 22:21 »
However, the one thing they fear more than their own computers is a change of any kind in their own computers.  If I were to sit down in front of a Sun workstation running SPARC or something, I could probably navigate around and get some things done, even though I've never used that OS before.  A lifelong PC user from the reception pool may not know shit about Windows, but at least s/he is somewhat familiar with how a few things work.  I tried to teach my dad how to navigate the Linux filesystem, and it was like trying to teach a dog how to read.  He knows his way around the Windows filesystem (sorta), but only through 15 years of repitition.  Point - secretaries would notice the difference, and be upset by it.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #19 on: 15 February 2006, 09:24 »
Point - secretaries would notice the difference, and be upset by it.

Why do secretaries need to know the filesystem for?

They only need two things: their applications and their home directory.

Hell, you can even make things easier by mounting the home directory as /home/mystuff for every workstation (instead of smb://172.16.49.9/homez/r.verdonk/filez/).

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #20 on: 15 February 2006, 10:03 »
I reckon file browsers should automatically show a description of directories. it would INSTANTLY make it easier.

/bin - basic programs
/etc - system settings
/dev - hardware devices
/home - !!!!personal documents!!!!
/sbin - administrative programs
/usr - secondary

_kill__bill

• VIP
  • Kudos: 355
« Reply #21 on: 15 February 2006, 19:14 »
Microsoft Anti-Spyware is an oxymoron.
Long Live the Revolution!

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #22 on: 15 February 2006, 22:30 »
And the marginal cost of buying a P3 with 256MB RAM is more than the marginal benefit of increased performance.  Relatively low income households, is what I am talking about here.

I've done a lot of research in this area and a modern Linux distro running KDE uses a similar amount of resources as XP.

I don't worry too much about the hardware requirements of Windows as anti-virus uses up far more memory therefore it's the biggest resource hog. Windows XP only uses between 64MB and 98MB of RAM depending on which services are enabled while a typical memory resident virus scanner and good quality firewall uses between 200MB to 300MB. This isinsane considering the supposed hardware requirements for anti-virus software are minimal.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #23 on: 15 February 2006, 23:14 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
I've done a lot of research in this area and a modern Linux distro running KDE uses a similar amount of resources as XP.
They might use a similar amount of RAM but Linux has much better memory management I think. Also, KDE has features that Windows XP lacks.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: 15 February 2006, 23:28 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
They might use a similar amount of RAM but Linux has much better memory management I think.

To be honest I haven't seen any objective evidence to support this. I've also been doing some research into the NT kernel recently and I've discovered that it kicks arse in so many ways, (Dave Cutler is a fucking genius). I don't think the kernel (hence the memory management) is the bad part of Windows, it's the shit that surrounds is that causes most of the problems and anti-virus is probably top of the list, well second to the malware it so pathetically tries to protect you against.

Also, KDE has features that Windows XP lacks.

That's true the Windows Desktop is shit, I actually prefer Xfce - it's an excellent compromise between resourse usage and features.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #25 on: 16 February 2006, 00:02 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
To be honest I haven't seen any objective evidence to support this. I've also been doing some research into the NT kernel recently and I've discovered that it kicks arse in so many ways, (Dave Cutler is a fucking genius). I don't think the kernel (hence the memory management) is the bad part of Windows, it's the shit that surrounds is that causes most of the problems and anti-virus is probably top of the list, well second to the malware it so pathetically tries to protect you against.
http://www.microsuck.com/forums/showpost.php?p=107975&postcount=52

That's true the Windows Desktop is shit, I actually prefer Xfce - it's an excellent compromise between resourse usage and features.
You'd almost think with my 256MB RAM I'd be running something like XFCE, but GNOME runs brilliantly. I haven't notice any performance difference since switching from XFCE to GNOME (even though I know it's there).

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

davidnix71

• Kudos: 501
« Reply #26 on: 16 February 2006, 02:06 »
Is the desktop shell integration in Windows the flaw that allows a "Shatter" attack to succeed? I had an ME box that I ran IERadicator on (the version that breaks the desktop shell integration). A lot of programs had to be replaced after that because they were making hard calls to IE and would no longer work.

BUT, after that the OS actually became stable and quiet, kind of like Win2000. I also deleted WinMgmt.exe and that really helped, too.

Win98SE is still useful, we have boxes at work running it. XP has so many network services that it will crash when hit by a bug, but 98 will at least function. I use Virtual 98 and TMPGEnc Plus on my eMac for video recoding. Virtual XP would be too slow.

And yeah, Norton sucks big time, it's a resource hog.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #27 on: 16 February 2006, 03:20 »
My computer never runs out, or even comes close to running out of ram while running Linux (Stentz with GNOME desktop). The most it ever uses is about 40% of total ram, or about 400 MB (under heavy gaming conditions) :D ... I suppose that doesn't mean much to someone with 256 MB of RAM. Hey, at least it doesn't use 700 - 800 MB like XP ! :eek:

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #28 on: 16 February 2006, 03:32 »
I don't care about the numbers - I can do more, faster, on this computer than anyone else with 256MB RAM could dream of doing on Windows. proof

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: 16 February 2006, 14:37 »
http://www.microsuck.com/forums/showpost.php?p=107975&postcount=52

I don't care about the numbers - I can do more, faster, on this computer than anyone else with 256MB RAM could dream of doing on Windows. proof

That's just someone's personal experiance, I rest my case, I have yet to see an objective well-reasoned argument against Windows's memory management. Just the fact that my work's computer is still usable despite having only 256MB of RAM and a big memory resident anti-virus program running is enough proof to me that it isn't as bad as you say.