Author Topic: truetype fonts (and windows) can blow me  (Read 3869 times)

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
Re: truetype fonts (and windows) can blow me
« Reply #15 on: 16 February 2006, 21:57 »
Too late, the project's already done.

The point is that I shouldn't have to.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #16 on: 16 February 2006, 22:59 »
Quote from: worker201

2. By default, Windows does not include any Type1 fonts or OpenType fonts.  You have to get these from somewhere else.

Which version of Windows?
I was browsing my Windows 3.1 directory on my other machine with Windows 2000 and I'm certain some of the fonts said opentype on the font viewer, I could upload them if you like, providing it isn't against the rules.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: 16 February 2006, 23:28 »
I'm sure it is against the rules.

Windows XP SP2.  Here's a visual sample of my fonts folder:

Although some of the fonts have OpenType icons, they are still ttf OpenType, and not true OpenType.  The only fonts on my computer that are not ttf are the ones provided by Adobe, which can be found in c:\Program Files\Common\Adobe\Fonts

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #18 on: 17 February 2006, 01:04 »
You should read The Scourge of Arial to learn about that knockoff font's history.  It's there as a substitute for Helvectica because MS (unlike Apple) didn't want to pay for the real thing.

The Helvectica font that comes free with Linux distros isn't really Helvectica, you know.  It's Nimbus-Sans, but it's aliased to the postscript name Helvectica.

You can get Nimbus-Sans Type 1 fonts on Windows as part of the gnu-ghostscript font package.  

THe older versions of acrobat viewer actually came prepackaged with copies of official Adobe type 1 postscript fonts in a fonts directory.  One of them was helvectica.

My webpage  has lots of information on building PDFs.  It's geared to using ghostscript, but since Acrobat distiller also uses the adobe postscript driver, all the font tips will work there, including how to keep  TrueType fonts out of your PDF files.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: 17 February 2006, 01:38 »
Great article, very informative.  I appreciate that.

It's been a very long time since I was actually a fan of Helvetica, but the fact is Helvetica became popular on its own merits. Arial owes its very existence to that success but is little more than a parasite

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: 17 February 2006, 01:45 »
Quote from: mobrien_12
The Helvectica font that comes free with Linux distros isn't really Helvectica, you know.  It's Nimbus-Sans, but it's aliased to the postscript name Helvectica.

If that's true, then Nimbus-Sans must be based at least in part on the original Type1 Helvetica, allowing it to function as a Type1 font.  Why couldn't Microsoft build themselves a Type1 font?  Also, Nimbus-Sans must be a blatant copy of Helvetica, which, according to the article you linked to, is ratty, but legal.  If Linux can find a way around it, why can't Microsoft?

davidnix71

• Kudos: 501
« Reply #21 on: 17 February 2006, 02:09 »
It's got to be about money and Adobe. I used to work for a commercial printer. We had macs running OS 7.6.x on up to Panther and Risos running Adobe fonts with a Linux OS.

Vinnie, our sysop, had fits with fonts on the Risos. Adobe loaded the fonts on the hd's themselves and charged a $500 license for it. The hd's burned out often because we did thermography. If we returned the hd and waited for a replacement, we got to keep the old license. But the wait could be weeks. That cost money having a machine down. The other choice was to buy a new hd and pay for the license that went with it.

A B Dick couldn't help us. Adobe didn't trust them with the fonts and wouldn't cut them any slack over new licenses either. Vinnie came to me finally and asked if I knew any way to force clone a drive. We were merged into a sister company before being forced to try that. It would have been interesting, though. The Risos ran some form of Linux, but A B Dick wouldn't tell us exactly what.

Cloning a drive should be easy, assuming they didn't have firmware on the drive in a read-only area or on a rom.

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #22 on: 17 February 2006, 04:20 »
Well, there is a story behind it all.  

Adobe created PostScript.  As you know, PostScript is amazing.  Part of the big postscript (which I will no longer properly capitalize cause it's annoying) picture was Adobe's fonts.  There were, if memory serves correctly, four types, but really only two mattered:  Type 1 and Type 3.  

Type 3 were bitmap fonts.  Nothing really special about these, just a bunch of dots.  Bitmap fonts don't scale well:  try to expand them and they get blocky, try to shrink them they get illegible.  You need a set of bitmap fonts for every point size you want to use. Like I said, nothing special.  Adobe didn't care too much about these and let anyone use them.  They are fine for printing, not good for screens.  

Type 1 fonts were scalable fonts.  These were really amazing little buggers because they were defined by their outlines and mathematically splined using a thrid order polynomial (ax^3+bx^2+cx+d) producing smooth shapes nomatter what size they were at.  You only needed one Type 1 font to do all sizes.  They worked for printing and screens.  Adobe was the only company, in the world to have this technology.  

Adobe gaurded Type 1 font technology very closely.  It was very expensive to licence it, but, after all, it was the only game in town.

Apple wanted scalable fonts but didn't want to pay Adobe's fees, or have a core OS component controlled by a 3rd company, so they decided to develop their own alternative:  TrueType.  MS got a royalty-free, perpetual licence to use. I've heard that MS and Apple were working together on it, but quite frankly I have no idea what MS contributed, if anything, and it seems to me like MS really got the better end of the deal.    

TrueType works like T1 fonts in that they are outline fonts and are scalable.  They are technically inferior in the curve fitting because they only use second order polynomials, but this doesn't seem to matter for the screen.  The TT spec allows the font designers to throw "hints" into the font, or little helper instructions to make the font look better at certain sizes according to the font designers eye, rather than a purely mathematical scaling.  Using these hints is patented by Apple.  Code exists for it in the FreeType library, but it is disabled.  You can enable it at compile-time if you licence the patent from Apple.  Apple didn't threaten anyone over this, rather FreeType found out about the patent, asked Apple if it would be ok for them to use hinting, got no response, and disabled the code to be safe.  I don't think the hinting is that necessary... it's only useful at certain scales, and from what I hear it's bloody hard to program---more of an art form---so not many fonts really use it right.

A nice thing about TT is that they live in just one file.  T1 require two files:  the font file and the font metrics file.  From what I have read, professional typographers consider TT to be inferior to T1.  

I myself like T1 fonts.  They just feel a little better to me.

Anyway, back to the story.

We now have TT, and it's a much more open specification than T1.  The two biggest personal computer platforms, Apple and Windows 3.x use TT.  Others are using T1 (OS/2 I know, I think NeXT had the capability because they used display-postscript).  You could get T1 fonts to work on Windows and MacOS by installing Adobe Type Manager (ATM), but it wasn't free, and only came with an Adobe product.

So TT was gaining alot of market share, not great for Adobe.  

Eventually, T1 lost so much market share to TT, that keeping a lock on T1 made no sense.  How are they going to sell their T1 fonts if nobody uses T1?

Adobe opened the T1 spec.  Linux uses it as a result.  Adobe made ATM a free download.  

This is why MS did not make T1 fonts.  They don't do it now, although they could.  They did this OpenType partnership thing with Adobe which was supposed to sort of unify T1 and TT, but that hasn't seemed to have made a big impact.

Nimbus-Sans is a T1 font, using T1 font specs, but has no Adobe code in it.

Why did MS make that ugly Arial by bastardizing Grotesque into Helvectica's dimensions instead of cloning Helvectica?  Well, I can only guess.

Back in the 90's there were sort of "font wars" happening.  Alot of small font firms were popping up and making fonts that looked very much like those of the big font houses like Adobe and Monotype, and selling them for much less money.  Many of these were inferior to some degree, but many were still really nice.  

Some of the really crappy companies had apparently truly ripped off the big font companies by taking the high Q T1 fonts and mathematically converted them to low quality TT fonts before reselling them.  Others had built lookalikes from scratch.

Anyway, the big font companies didn't like this.  There were lawsuits.  Lots of them.   Some of these font companies were real bastards.  I read one page where a font company saw a decorative font in a jpeg on this guys webpage, checked their records, found they never sold him a copy of their $150 font, and told him they wanted money.  He told them the font in the jpeg came from a CD that came with his printer, and gave him the font foundry and name.  They then wrote back and said that the font foundry had illegally made a lookalike and demanded he pay them for the font.  

Many of those smaller font foundrys are not around anymore.  :(

MS probably wanted to avoid this, so they made a font that was different enough from helvectica that they wouldn't get sued, but would have the same dimensions so it could be a drop in replacement.  Thus we get Arial.

I don't know the whole story behind Nimbus-Sans.  I know it's a beautiful donated T1 font from a company.  Maybe it's one of the scratchbuilt fonts from a company that survived the font wars (pure speculation, I don't have time to research it now).
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

Annorax

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 457
« Reply #23 on: 17 February 2006, 05:33 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
Which version of Windows?
I was browsing my Windows 3.1 directory on my other machine with Windows 2000 and I'm certain some of the fonts said opentype on the font viewer, I could upload them if you like, providing it isn't against the rules.

Yeah, that's against the rules. Instant messengers and Gmail exist for a reason, you know?
Quote from: "bash.org"
<3M> ok guys i've finally got my windows me machine up and running again :D
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....
<3M> who is general failure and why is he reading my hard disc :(
somehow, "i told you so" doesn't quite say it ;)

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #24 on: 17 February 2006, 05:50 »
Quote from: Annorax
Yeah, that's against the rules. Instant messengers and Gmail exist for a reason, you know?
Heh, I thought he meant copyright law. I was wondering what the hell he was thinking, obeying copyright law!
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: 17 February 2006, 16:06 »
I meant both, if it's illeagal then it's also against the rules but if it's legal then it isn't against the rules.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #26 on: 17 February 2006, 16:28 »
http://rapidshare.de/ if you don't mind breaking THEIR rules.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Annorax

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 457
« Reply #27 on: 17 February 2006, 17:47 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
I meant both, if it's illeagal then it's also against the rules but if it's legal then it isn't against the rules.

Then I'll clarify it, since apparently I was intoxicated when I made that post.

If you must trade font files that have not been legitimately purchased, don't do it here. Posting those files here violates our rules and..well... you know what happens when you break the rules.
Quote from: "bash.org"
<3M> ok guys i've finally got my windows me machine up and running again :D
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....
<3M> who is general failure and why is he reading my hard disc :(
somehow, "i told you so" doesn't quite say it ;)

worker201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: 17 February 2006, 22:18 »
No need to worry yourself - I don't need to borrow anyone's font files.  The problem has been taken care of, thanks to Myriad.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: 18 February 2006, 02:27 »
Quote from: Annorax
Then I'll clarify it, since apparently I was intoxicated when I made that post.

If you must trade font files that have not been legitimately purchased, don't do it here. Posting those files here violates our rules and..well... you know what happens when you break the rules.

I posted a link to download QBasic once and Refalm didn't mind as it's abandonware - just like Windows 3.1 which is just as old. Seriously I wouldn't worry about Microsoft sueing us for pirating their antiquated software - they've got better thing to do.