Operating Systems > Not Quite Mainstream OSes

What was BeOS?

<< < (2/8) > >>

piratePenguin:

--- Quote from: noob ---I'ma try BeOS, may aswell. Is there any source code available? It could come in usefull for a project I am working on.
--- End quote ---
Nope, no source. I think it's Palm that owns it now and they're not doing a damn thing with it IIRC.
There is the source for haiku, though. I take it it's the "open source console" you're interested in it for?

@Reggie: have you ever gotten haiku to run yourself, or has it not reached that stage yet?

hm_murdock:
BeOS is for the most part, roughly equal to Mac OS 8.5 - 9.2 in UI and experience. Unlike Mac OS 8/9, however, it does have full preemptive multitasking, and all the goodies that come with that. It's horribly fast... has a very light footprint. It's cool. It's neat. It roxors your boxers.

Lead Head:
Put it this way speed wise, Its boots faster on a 266Mhz K-6 then my A64 3000 with windows XP...

How ever, BeOS r5 PE doesnt work "well" with Athlon 64s unless you patched it. I had to run it on safe mode with my A64 and it was slow.

ReggieMicheals:
Haiku doesn't have its kernel ready, so it shells on BeOS for now. It also only uses Intel Processors - not AMDs. However BeOS Developer Edition(free) has AMD support.

Lead Head:
r5 does have AMD support, but only Athlons or lower unless you get it patched so you can use AXP and A64s

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version