Author Topic: Deleting Files In Content.IE5  (Read 1086 times)

babypooh

• Kudos: 0
Deleting Files In Content.IE5
« on: 22 July 2002, 08:23 »
While searching for a file, I stumbled onto the content.ie5 folder so I opened it up and there were 4 other folders in there. I opened up each folder and couldn't believe the amount of files that were in these folders! There were hundreds of them in each folder! Most of them were picture files and HTML files. But there were a lot in these folders that didn't have any file extensions or anything. They had numbers for names and under file type it just said "file".

My question is, is it safe to delete these 4 folders inside of the content.ie5 folder? If not, is it safe to at least delete these files?

I have been trying to find out something about this for 2 weeks now and no one seems to have any clue what to do or I get mixed opinions on what to do. If any one out there knows for sure, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Baby Pooh  :confused:

sporkme

• Kudos: 149
    • http://sporkme.net/
« Reply #1 on: 22 July 2002, 21:25 »
yes. this is not only safe, but a wonderful idea.  these files catalogue your internet explorer web surfing history for any corporation, government, or individual that wants to know.  these directories are basically built-in spyware, and gobble up your precious hard drive space.

the simplest way to do it is to add the following to the end of your c:\autoexec.bat file using the notepad application.

Code: [Select]

this way, every time you reboot your computer, the files are all deleted, and then the massive swap file lands right on top of it on the hard drive.

for in-depth info about this, see the microsoft's really hidden files story on the main page.

for an alternative web browser that won't spy on you, swing by the mozilla project.

to dig up your own superior, free operating system, check out linuxiso.org.

welcome to the forums.  there are certain members that just like to mindlessly bash linux and promote

[ July 22, 2002: Message edited by: sporkme / bob ]

just that you do not take an interest in politics does not mean that politics will not take an interest in you.  -pericles 430 b.c.

sporkme

« Reply #2 on: 24 July 2002, 14:27 »
pooh, in response to your private message...

window washer does one thing in addidtion to deleting the files:
it deletes some visited pages info from your registry.
you can do this yourself, by opening regedit, searching for a recently visited website, and deleting all of the keys that come up in the folder with it.

you can just delete the folders to save time, it is the same thing with fewer commands... windows re-creates the folders automatically so to continue merilly spying on you.

happy to be of assistance.
just that you do not take an interest in politics does not mean that politics will not take an interest in you.  -pericles 430 b.c.

sporkme

« Reply #3 on: 24 July 2002, 14:32 »
of course you can always download mandrake or red hat and your OS won't save these files////////

[ July 24, 2002: Message edited by: sporkme / bob ]

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #4 on: 25 July 2002, 02:47 »
you can get and install linux for free, as a dual boot with your windows setup and then boot into linux and delete all the pesky "hidden" files using a familiar windows-like GUI such as KDE, that's what i did. While you're there, you might as well pay attention to what's going on in your new linux system, since you will probably decide that windows is shit and then you can safely delete ALL the files you find in windows. THAT'll save you some disk space, and it's sure to get rid of all the spyware too.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

babypooh

« Reply #5 on: 25 July 2002, 11:49 »
Where can I download Linux?

Also, is all my software and hardware that is on my current OS going to be compatible with Linux?

Thanks for your help!

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #6 on: 26 July 2002, 02:49 »
okay. that's one big question.

You can get many different types of linux (and i think a BSD too) at http://linuxiso.org/

Your hardware is compatible with linux however all hardware requires a piece of software in binary form to drive it. This software must be compiled specifically for your operating system. Some hardware companies release drivers for their stuff but only for windows, some for only windows and macOS, and some release for a whole bunch of systems, including linux. Also, there are a lot of guys out there writing drivers by trial and error for hardware whose makers are too mean/dumb to release the drivers or the source code.

It's a similar story for your software. It depends on the company. Some programs have source code available. This means (in a perfect world) that we could compile that programs on any system, so the program would not be specific to one system or another. Most companies like to compile the source code themselves and only release binaries, and the problem is, they sometimes don't release binaries for all operating systems. Sound Forge is only available for windows, for example. Quicktime is available for Mac, windows, but not linux. Realplayer is available for all three, and possibly more besides.

on the other hand there are several projects out there all aimed at allowing you to run your windows binaries in linux, such as wine, which translates windows system calls into linux ones (this method is not foolproof as Microsoft like to keep even their system calls secret!) and win4lin which i heard emulates windows on a linux system.

The beauty of linux and hundreds (thousands?) of its programs is that it's free. Also, the source code is free, so if you or somebody else saw a way to improve the program, you could, just by editing the code and recompiling it on your machine. This also means that if you try it and do not like it, you have not lost anything (like that's going to happen...). Also, if you choose to have both linux and windows on your machine, linux is very friendly to the idea, it will let you open all your files in linux (there's usually a program to open most file types - quicktime is not available for linux, and neither is M$Word for example, but there's a quicktime emulation plugin for MPlayer and there's openoffice, both are free, and both allow you to edit and play your files), it will let you easily choose from a menu which system you want at startup, and it will allow you more control over system (hidden) files on your windows side than windows or DOS would ever give you.

The final upsides of linux are that it is shitloads more stable than windows, in that it will likely not crash or mysteriously not work so much, and usually an error message is NOT cryptic and can usually be sorted out by somebody (unlike Microsoft's error messages: "fatal exeption: 478392478 43927489 3274893274 8923XXXX37BY" who fucking knows what that means?) and it is a *lot* more secure than windows, meaning that your firewall will work properly and you will *never* get a virus which can damage your system files (so long as you don't use the administrator account for everyday use).

Good luck, hope you enjoy! it can be a bit of a bitch to set up (although tons of people seem to have had an easy time of it, maybe i'm just unlucky!) but it is well worth it, and it's also free...
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

sporkme

« Reply #7 on: 26 July 2002, 08:28 »
you will need to do some reading, it is fairly simple but it is important that you understand just what you are doing.

you are always welcome around here, we are always happy to help a person free thier pc (at least halfway).  you can also go to http://www.linuxnewbie.com/ and search thier massive forums or help files.

you should probably start out with a windows-y distribution like mandrake or red hat.  mandrake saw all of my hardware just fine as did red hat.

as you jack with it you will learn a lot about computers (as well as how much m$ sucks, for some odd reason) and a lot about yourself.

good luck!  come on back!

[ July 25, 2002: Message edited by: sporkme / bob ]

babypooh

« Reply #8 on: 26 July 2002, 10:08 »
Thanks for all your help!
I'm so glad I found this site!

Baby Pooh

sporkme

« Reply #9 on: 26 July 2002, 11:33 »
we are happy to have you around

i feel like win tech support HA!

this is what linux tech support IS though (the best way at any rate) --  linux users helping for free, for fun.

be sure to read up!  make sure you can get back into your box!  one mundane detail ~can~ (likely won't) fudge the whole thing.

[ July 26, 2002: Message edited by: sporkme / bob ]

omaraa

• http://-
« Reply #10 on: 23 August 2002, 13:09 »
How do i get my com to clear all the stored internet files in XP do i add

deltree /y c:\windows\cookies
deltree /y c:\windows\history
deltree /y c:\windows\tempor~1

on the auto.bat file?

I do not see any of these folders on my computer. Are they different names for them in XP, or is that corrct

omaraa

• http://-
« Reply #11 on: 23 August 2002, 13:10 »
email me if you can help me out [email protected]

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #12 on: 23 August 2002, 14:29 »
nobody is gonna email you except spammers. I would take your email down if i were you.

you could add that to your autoexec.bat (i do that) or you could delete them manually in windows by typing in explorer (the location) c:\path\to\temp\folders\desktop.ini
then desktop.ini will open in notepad, there should be two lines:
.SHELLCLSINFO
[43795739-5325-352352]

delete the string of numbers but not the first line. Then restart explorer and you should be able to see the really hidden files/folders.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'