Author Topic: And Apple starts to be a dick, again.  (Read 2289 times)

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
Re: And Apple starts to be a dick, again.
« Reply #15 on: 20 February 2006, 18:43 »
I do believe that there were forum threads about where and how to get Intel builds of OS X that included torrent links, et cetera.

Just as our webmaster and admins would be responsible if someone were posting piracy and warez links here, so was OSX86. Remember that they weren't doing any reverse engineering on the system, only replacing bits with the corresponding part from Darwin, and adding a few little bits of code. I'm pretty sure that's NOT a SLA violation, as there are myriad OS X "enhancers" that use Darwin code, such as XDarwin and Darwine and Apple hasn't said anything about them in the five years that they've been around.

Also, OtherWorldComputing's XPostFacto serves a similar function to OSX86... allow OS X to run on "unsupported" hardware. I'm running 10.4.5 on an original 300MHz clamshell iBook. Remember that 10.4 "requires" a built-in FireWire port. XPF can also make OS X boot and install on totally out-there hardware. I have a Power Mac 6500 (250MHz PPC 603) which XPF can force 10.2 and older to run on. So much for "G3 required".

And Apple hasn't said anything about XPF...
Go the fuck ~

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #16 on: 20 February 2006, 20:35 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
I suppose it's impossible to "build your own mac" now that you'll need to get by the TPM-check-crap. Even though the hardware is just as easy to get, it won't run OS X unless you buy off Apple.

Shame.

Making you buy a mac computer in order to use their operating system is kinda greedy if you ask me ... or what else can we call it ?

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #17 on: 21 February 2006, 03:55 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
Making you buy a mac computer in order to use their operating system is kinda greedy if you ask me ... or what else can we call it ?

It's their business model.  The OS is not expensive in-box, and the software bundle distributed with the hardware is rather generous.  And they have no activation or anything like that.  On top of that, they don't have to support all the hardware in the world like MS has to do with Windows, which is probably part of why OS X costs so much less than Windows.

As for building your own Mac...you could build a "Power Mac G4" for yourself, but it's not very convenient, or cheap, for that matter.  The retail price of a 1.42ghz G4 is much higher than your typical 3GHz P4, and for duals...ouch.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Jack2000

« Reply #18 on: 21 February 2006, 14:10 »
"PIRATED SOFTWARE"
ahem ... hm_murdock ... do you
even know what pirate means?
Do you know that this word is thrown around like a flag
just to make people look bad in front of lame idiot masses ?
they do not win or lose anything ...so they are not pirates :P

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #19 on: 21 February 2006, 18:31 »
Quote from: WMD
As for building your own Mac...you could build a "Power Mac G4" for yourself, but it's not very convenient, or cheap, for that matter.
And it's dated. Who wants to build a dated computer?
The retail price of a 1.42ghz G4 is much higher than your typical 3GHz P4, and for duals...ouch.
I build my computers to save money anyhow.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

cymon

• Kudos: 172
« Reply #20 on: 21 February 2006, 18:41 »
Why would you want a G4 anyways, unless you're out for a notebook? It's obsolete. You can get a nice iMac G5 for a reasonable price, and you can upgrade and get the Power Mac.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #21 on: 21 February 2006, 18:50 »
Quote from: cymon
Why would you want a G4 anyways, unless you're out for a notebook? It's obsolete. You can get a nice iMac G5 for a reasonable price, and you can upgrade and get the Power Mac.
Or I can build my own computer (PC or anything else that ISN'T Mac) for even cheaper with a large choice of CPU/etc.

Do Macs ever turn up tops when it comes to getting the cheapest good computer and it is allowed (i.e. always when you have the intelligence/time/etc.) to build your own computer?
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #22 on: 21 February 2006, 23:22 »

Because a G4 is cheaper than any of the G5 systems and still receives top-tier software support from Apple. A fast G3 is also nothing to balk at. All iApps give full capabilities on G4, and all of the pro apps perform on G4.

"PIRATED SOFTWARE"
ahem ... hm_murdock ... do you
even know what pirate means?
Do you know that this word is thrown around like a flag
just to make people look bad in front of lame idiot masses ?
they do not win or lose anything ...so they are not pirates :P

Shut the fuck up.
Go the fuck ~

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #23 on: 21 February 2006, 23:27 »
[OFFTOPIC]
Pirate

There are, of course, different kinds of pirates.

... and last, but not least ... Maddox
[/OFFTOPIC]

Xeniczone

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #24 on: 27 February 2006, 01:50 »
You guys Apple isn't getting upset because people aren't buying there hard ware there getting upset because ppl are stealing mac os x.

This is what they are doing they are looking though the forums for any links to illegal downloads of mac os x then the host is either shutdown or the file is deleted and depending on what the illegal file is apple can sew.

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #25 on: 27 February 2006, 03:22 »
If that is all they are doing, then I suppose there is no harm in their actions. Let's hope that was their sole motivation.

Xeniczone

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #26 on: 27 February 2006, 05:22 »
They would really perfer you buy there hardware or they would end up in a issue of only selling software (aka microsoft) and with that may become the biggest dicks like microsoft.

You must understand that x86 project has a lot of illegal content on it. Apple now sees this and they must shut it down if the illegal content gets out of hand. Most of the people that are interested in this project got there Mac OS X from - or -. I have cut the names because I like mac and I wouldn't want to set more ppl trying to download it.

Mac is only trying to shutdown illegal links to there software. There slogen I guess you could call it for this is "Don't steal Macintosh. It's not cool."