Author Topic: What do you think about ubuntu?  (Read 1943 times)

inane

• Kudos: 233
    • http://www.myblogspace.net/inaneframe
Re: What do you think about ubuntu?
« Reply #15 on: 3 March 2006, 10:21 »
Usually, but I've noticed a timeout mechanism wherein were you to have open synaptic, say, five minutes ago and then decided to sudo nautilus or open disk management you won't be prompted for your user password.

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #16 on: 3 March 2006, 23:38 »
I never use the admin login anyway.

I just su in console or startup konqueror as root.

Siplus

• Kudos: 43
    • http://www.siplus.org
« Reply #17 on: 4 March 2006, 09:59 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
The problem with Ubuntu is that most of the commands are different from other distros sudo instead of su ... and others ... other than that it's pretty good.

Try 'sudo su -'

http://www.siplus.org

"Your computer is already fucked up by having Windows
on it, you can only unfuck it up by installing Linux."
-- void main (old school MES member)

Desktop: Athlon 2600/ 768mb DDR266
--Running: Ubuntu 5.10, FC4, Win2k
 (Also, Unbuntu 6-06:5, 5.04; Fedora Core 5, WinXP, but none of these are used much)
12" Powerbook: 1.5 Ghz G4 PowerPC / 1.25 GB DDR333
--Running: Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
« Reply #18 on: 16 March 2006, 19:15 »
I dont like Ubuntu, actually ive only used Kubuntu, but i dont like it.

I prefer using the console most of them time, so i hate that i have to set the root passwd using sudo before i can su as root.  Although i now understand their reasons for it, im not convinced (and dont have an understanding) if the security of using your user password with sudo to run root commands.

Adept is pretty shitty, they dont seem to have that many packages in their repository, i think theres 4000ish. In debian isnt there well over 10,000.

I don't really like these distrobutions that make you go with one Desktop environment, or window manager. I remember redhat back in the day with every window manager and desktop environment and i would switch between them regularly to see what theyre all about. With Ubuntu you are forced into Gnome, there is also Kubuntu i know, but thats still only two choices.

In Kubuntu they hid the freakin KDE control centre, and in its place have a horrible folder with a trim selection of settings to configure.

I think i would prefer Fedora over Ubuntu (Which i know also only has two choices of DE/WM but I like KDE the best anyway) for a desktop machine. And Debian for a server.

Maybe i'm just a linux user seeing this from a linux user point of view.
Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate
Linux User #283518
'It takes more than a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head to stop Bob'

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #19 on: 16 March 2006, 21:16 »
Quote from: Master of Reality
I prefer using the console most of them time, so i hate that i have to set the root passwd using sudo before i can su as root. Although i now understand their reasons for it, im not convinced (and dont have an understanding) if the security of using your user password with sudo to run root commands.
no difference in security, just you only have to remember one password. does it reset the root passwd when you logout or restart the computer?

I don't really like these distrobutions that make you go with one Desktop environment, or window manager. I remember redhat back in the day with every window manager and desktop environment and i would switch between them regularly to see what theyre all about. With Ubuntu you are forced into Gnome, there is also Kubuntu i know, but thats still only two choices.
surely there is a way to install new window managers?

In Kubuntu they hid the freakin KDE control centre, and in its place have a horrible folder with a trim selection of settings to configure.
the control center is one of KDE's biggest strengths...wtf

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #20 on: 16 March 2006, 21:20 »
Adept is pretty shitty, they dont seem to have that many packages in their repository, i think theres 4000ish. In debian isnt there well over 10,000.

This is my biggest problem with Linux in general, if there were only two or three formats then any Linux distro could use any package and they'd all be up to date. Sure you'd still have the choice of different package managers without any of the bother.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #22 on: 17 March 2006, 10:15 »
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu: