Author Topic: Vista, Mac OS X Clone?  (Read 9577 times)

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
Re: Vista, Mac os Clone.
« Reply #30 on: 4 March 2006, 22:03 »
Quote from: anphanax
Someone makes a claim that Apple brought widgets to the desktop, and I bother to mention they were on Windows already via third-party software (e.g. StarDock), and it's like i've started some sort of holy war with them. Just tired of the "Apple innovates before everyone else" attitude of certian individuals. Apologies for the semi off-topic rant.

I seem to be the only one in the world to notice this, so I'll share the knowledge.

StarDock wasn't the first thing with widgets either.  In fact, guess who had the essential idea first?  Apple!  Haha!  Let's go back to System 1, 1984.  You had the "desk accessories."  These were small programs that ran on top of the current app (unlike anything else in System 1, which only allowed one real app at a time), and when you had one running and then opened another, they appeared *and disappeared* together.  Clicking the close button on them closed one, but doing "Quit" closed them all.

I don't know about you, but this is really close to Dashboard, but with some differences due to the tech of the day.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

ReggieMicheals

• Kudos: 228
    • http://osadvocacy.frih.net/
« Reply #31 on: 4 March 2006, 22:55 »
It's true that Apple innovated some things, but they crush some products that could've developed into a innovative OS, such as GEM. So far the only company that has escaped Apple's fears of being trampled by a better idea. That company was Microsoft back when they had some innovation from their work with IBM.
Operating System Advocacy. I've given up on the Microsuck project, as well as any of the minisite spinoffs. You can still view the new beta site, though!

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #32 on: 4 March 2006, 23:59 »
Quote from: ReggieMicheals
It's true that Apple innovated some things, but they crush some products that could've developed into a innovative OS, such as GEM. So far the only company that has escaped Apple's fears of being trampled by a better idea. That company was Microsoft back when they had some innovation from their work with IBM.

True that.  I don't know how the courts let them win that ridiculous lawsuit against Digital Research.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

inane

• Kudos: 233
    • http://www.myblogspace.net/inaneframe
« Reply #33 on: 5 March 2006, 00:41 »
Well I love old DOS games, a quick trip to the underdogs website can pretty much sum up why.

Xeniczone

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #34 on: 5 March 2006, 15:39 »
well some ppl complain about how a veriety of stuff out there for windows and only 1 company to buy macintosh.

You do know if there wasn't a copyright issue way back when microsoft got started IBM would be the only company to sell microsoft product.

WMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: 5 March 2006, 17:54 »
GEM wasn't even an OS, just a shell.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #36 on: 5 March 2006, 18:21 »
Quote from: inane

Sorry Aloone I got ahead of myself but I STILL can't play 32bit DOS games in XP or 2000 even on a FAT32 system they run like SHIT...

Some will run but I know what you mean, Windows XP 64-bit edition won't run any 16-bit software at all and yes this includes 32-bit DOS games as they had 16-bit stubs at the beginning to load the DOS extender.

To get round this problem you can, boot into DOS mode if you're using 9x, create a separate partition and run FreeDOS if your on 2k/XP or try an emulator like DOSBox (which is slow) or VMWare, DOSEmu is also good for Linux.

Quote from: cymon
The 8086, 80286, and the 80386 and friends were all X86 platforms.

I know but the first two were 16-bit not 8-bit, they couldn't execute 8-bit code without an emulatior.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Siplus

• Kudos: 43
    • http://www.siplus.org
« Reply #37 on: 5 March 2006, 21:18 »
Quote from: Xeniczone
I would agree with this. But only if your talking about the 2d games. some of the earlier 3d game I hated doom wolfsten marathon (i could never figure out how to exit the game).

Doom-ok i guess but you know kinda oldish

Wolfstein- Yeh got throw the first 10 levels and I just got bored

Marathon- Probably the best because it has mouse support yeh yeh. But with no jump and stuff it can only rot.

What?!

No-one can say they hate Doom. It's a classic!

how old are you?? :-p

http://www.siplus.org

"Your computer is already fucked up by having Windows
on it, you can only unfuck it up by installing Linux."
-- void main (old school MES member)

Desktop: Athlon 2600/ 768mb DDR266
--Running: Ubuntu 5.10, FC4, Win2k
 (Also, Unbuntu 6-06:5, 5.04; Fedora Core 5, WinXP, but none of these are used much)
12" Powerbook: 1.5 Ghz G4 PowerPC / 1.25 GB DDR333
--Running: Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #38 on: 5 March 2006, 22:21 »
Waitwaitwait... Marathon?  NO JUMP?!?!?
*loads up Basilisk to check*
Yes it did.  Given, it wasn't exactly STELLAR, but you could jump short platforms.
It's better than nothing.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Xeniczone

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #39 on: 6 March 2006, 02:55 »
What?!

No-one can say they hate Doom. It's a classic!

how old are you?? :-p

I'm 15 and i found marathon much better then doom.

1. Mouse support when doom was release I do beleave x86's didn't have mice. even if they did you couldn't use the mouse.
2. More colors. Doom was a old 16bit game sad colors.
3. No macintosh. Macintosh is the better os and doom wasn't for it :(

Waitwaitwait... Marathon? NO JUMP?!?!?
*loads up Basilisk to check*
Yes it did. Given, it wasn't exactly STELLAR, but you could jump short platforms.
It's better than nothing.

Sorry, it has been a while seens I have played it. You should try it on a real Macintosh rather then basklisk. It will run much better. You need a classic os like mac os 9 or 8. You can get one of ebay for about 100 or less dollars.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #40 on: 6 March 2006, 03:03 »
I just recently played the Doom 1 demo on my comp, mouse worked perfectly.
sig.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #41 on: 6 March 2006, 04:25 »
Sorry, it has been a while seens I have played it. You should try it on a real Macintosh rather then basklisk. It will run much better. You need a classic os like mac os 9 or 8. You can get one of ebay for about 100 or less dollars.

You think I'm running Linux because of a lack of willingness to run Classic.  That's rich, even if it is partly correct.  The whole reason why I started using Windows?  Because I got sick of system-bombs.  Given, they were in 8.1 on a ROAD APPLE, but it was enough to put me off of gaming on Mac.  The whole reason why I got into Linux?  One too many memory dumps for no reason better than being up for a day.  The whole reason why I'm using Basilisk for this now?  I miss the old 680x0 games.  I know how much Classic systems cost, btw - I've been in this game since the LC, having had prior experiences back to the II Plus.  Ultimately, the whole reason why I am where I am - in regards to Basilisk, at least - is that I'd rather have a playable framerate, error-free, than a stellar framerate with constant problems.  Too bad OS X doesn't run those titles worth a damn.  :(

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #42 on: 6 March 2006, 08:01 »

1. Mouse support when doom was release I do beleave x86's didn't have mice. even if they did you couldn't use the mouse.
3. No macintosh. Macintosh is the better os and doom wasn't for it :(

Oh for...

Look, x86 computers have had mice since the 1980's.  Doom came out in the early 90's.

16-bits?  WTF?  DOOM was a 32 bit, protected mode game.  If you were talking about 16-bit color, you are way off in the other direction.  

Doom is available for the Macintosh.

You could use the mouse, but DOOM wasn't rigged to use the mouse in "freelook" mode, which is what all FPS since Quake use.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #43 on: 6 March 2006, 20:17 »

I've never heard of marathon so I can't compare.

It helps if you load the DOS mouse driver.

Don't know about marathon but Doom was a 32-bit protected mode game and it had 8-bit 320x200 VGA/MCGA graphics like most games at that time. Later on DOS games started using mode X, a technique that tweaked the maximum resolution of a VGA compatable card in 8-bit mode from 320x200 up to 360x480 and it made multiple pages possible (even Windows 9x used mode X 320x400 to display its startup screen), 400x600 was also possible but you needed a SVGA monitor so it wasn't so common, this was all quite impressive back in the day. Then came VESA support shortly before the demise of DOS to Windows however VESA is still used by Windows XP and Linux when a video driver is unavailable.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

WMD

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: 7 March 2006, 06:53 »
Marathon better than Doom?  Wow.  I always considered the Marathon series piss-poor.  The only reason I ever launch it is to show people "See, Bungie made Mac games before MS bought them!"
My BSOD gallery