3 (15%)
Mac OS Classic
2 (10%)
OS/2 Warp and eComstation
3 (15%)
Other(please specify)
12 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Worst GUI system you've seen  (Read 3931 times)

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
Re: Worst GUI system you've seen
« Reply #15 on: 4 March 2006, 07:49 »
ok, early AmigaOS was ugly, but you are comparing it to modern standards... compared to windows 1.0, and early mac and GEM, it doesn't look THAT bad.  How was it to operate.

AROS I don't like.  Too dependent on the mouse.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

Annorax

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 457
« Reply #16 on: 4 March 2006, 11:32 »
Apple GS/OS has to be at least an honorable mention...
Quote from: "bash.org"
<3M> ok guys i've finally got my windows me machine up and running again :D
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....
<3M> who is general failure and why is he reading my hard disc :(
somehow, "i told you so" doesn't quite say it ;)

ReggieMicheals

• Kudos: 228
    • http://osadvocacy.frih.net/
« Reply #17 on: 4 March 2006, 16:24 »
Quote from: WMD
This kid speaks the truth. ;)

What's with the hatred for Mac Classic?  I thought the interface was pretty great.  Oh, and criticizing Plan 9 for a bad GUI isn't really fair.  They aren't trying to make it a "usable" OS so to say...it's used for research.

To the noob who used windows/linux/OS/2 all his life it would be difficult, especially because some applications don't quit after you close the window(which does happen in windows and X, but a systray can easily show it running in the background).

Yeah, it is a reasearch OS but they should at least have a semi - good gui if they are to provide one at all. Remember this is about the UI, and not the core of the OS itself. Heres a Plan 9 screenshot:

It looks clean, but its difficult...
Operating System Advocacy. I've given up on the Microsuck project, as well as any of the minisite spinoffs. You can still view the new beta site, though!

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #18 on: 4 March 2006, 16:55 »
Quote from: ReggieMicheals
To the noob who used windows/linux/OS/2 all his life it would be difficult, especially because some applications don't quit after you close the window(which does happen in windows and X, but a systray can easily show it running in the background).

Yeah, it is a reasearch OS but they should at least have a semi - good gui if they are to provide one at all. Remember this is about the UI, and not the core of the OS itself. Heres a Plan 9 screenshot:

It looks clean, but its difficult...

Where is the Close, minimize, and maximize buttons we are all so used to?
sig.

ReggieMicheals

« Reply #19 on: 4 March 2006, 19:40 »
That's the thing - you use mouse button 3 to close and minimize via a menu. You can't maximize automatically - you need to manully do it.
Operating System Advocacy. I've given up on the Microsuck project, as well as any of the minisite spinoffs. You can still view the new beta site, though!

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #20 on: 4 March 2006, 20:14 »
Classic Mac OS didn't need descriptions and tips. It was designed not to. If something could be done, it was made obvious.

Re: defending Plan 9. The poll didn't qualify. It asked your opinion of the worse. Plan 9 is it.
Go the fuck ~

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: 4 March 2006, 20:47 »
That's the thing - you use mouse button 3 to close and minimize via a menu. You can't maximize automatically - you need to manully do it.

Are you screwed if you dont have a 3 button mouse, or is there some other way to close it?
sig.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #22 on: 4 March 2006, 21:47 »

Erm... when you close a window in Classic, the app stays active.  The name of the app is still clearly shown in the menu bar until you click something on the desktop.  I did, in elementary school, see some kids struggle with that, but I never did...I always wondered why they didn't notice the menu bar COMPLETELY CHANGING when they were clicking on the icon.

But besides that questionable element, the interface was flawless.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

ReggieMicheals

« Reply #23 on: 4 March 2006, 22:39 »
Quote from: Lead Head
Are you screwed if you dont have a 3 button mouse, or is there some other way to close it?

No, you do not need a three button mouse. To emulate the 3rd button, you simply press shift + right mouse button.

Erm... when you close a window in Classic, the app stays active. The name of the app is still clearly shown in the menu bar until you click something on the desktop. I did, in elementary school, see some kids struggle with that, but I never did...I always wondered why they didn't notice the menu bar COMPLETELY CHANGING when they were clicking on the icon.

But besides that questionable element, the interface was flawless.
Yes, but I doubt most people who've used other OSes have the attention span to pay attention to that. Hell, I tricked my friend by running bittorrent in the system tray, which he never noticed. Heh, he was wondering all day why the DSL was slow...

Every interface has flaws. You just need to spot them.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: 4 March 2006, 23:08 »
No, you do not need a three button mouse. To emulate the 3rd button, you simply press shift + right mouse button.

Ah..Ok..
sig.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #25 on: 4 March 2006, 23:36 »
I'm voting for Plan 9, mostly because of some VERY bad experiences with TWM.
"Maximize manually"?  ICK ICK ICK

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

ReggieMicheals

« Reply #26 on: 4 March 2006, 23:54 »
* post was here, edited it for my reasons, can't find delete button*

Commander

• Kudos: 52
« Reply #27 on: 5 March 2006, 03:50 »
what's wrong with the early apple guis? i loved those! I WORSHIPPED THOSE!!!

as for the worst, the default XP..  i'd work with plan 9 if i had no option to turn default "OMG!! WHY IS EVERYTHING I SEE BLUE" theme to windows classic (which is by far the best gui MS has ever come up with)
Ballmer needs a firm kick in the ass.... (since he has no balls)

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
« Reply #28 on: 5 March 2006, 04:00 »

Is that done in the latest fluxbox?

I use DSL on my laptops and I can't use the damn tabbing because there is no middle button.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #29 on: 5 March 2006, 18:22 »
Windows 1.0  but 3.1 was piss poor too.

I'd say TWM was probably the worst GUI I've used though.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu: