Author Topic: Recommend Mac laptop ?  (Read 1784 times)

Xeniczone

• Kudos: 0
Re: Recommend Mac laptop ?
« Reply #15 on: 7 March 2006, 01:26 »
IBM only sells workstations now, where you may get z/OS, Windows, or Red Hat. ThinkPads are owned by Lenovo now, though you can still customize their Memory, Disk Space, etc. but, unfortunately, Lenovo only preinstalls Windows last time I checked. And I did mean "Notebook". To me a Laptop and a Notebook are synonyms.

The "multimedia" thinkpads with widescreen go for around $799. But I do have to admit that iBooks are excellent too...

Doesn't matter what laptop(notebook) you have. if you have a mac or windows based laptop they are inpossible to upgrade. The best you can do is hard drive or memory and any brand of hard drive or memory will do it in a mac.

Nevermind it is gone. Good deals like that go fast.

ReggieMicheals

• Kudos: 228
    • http://osadvocacy.frih.net/
« Reply #16 on: 7 March 2006, 01:41 »
Doesn't matter what laptop(notebook) you have. if you have a mac or windows based laptop they are inpossible to upgrade. The best you can do is hard drive or memory and any brand of hard drive or memory will do it in a mac.

I guess your're right. Either company you go with won't matter in the end, since both are going to be helplessly obsolete in a couple years...
Operating System Advocacy. I've given up on the Microsuck project, as well as any of the minisite spinoffs. You can still view the new beta site, though!

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #17 on: 7 March 2006, 01:53 »
Quote from: ReggieMicheals
I guess your're right. Either company you go with won't matter in the end, since both are going to be helplessly obsolete in a couple years...
In 10 years time you'll have a good, portable router :)
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #18 on: 7 March 2006, 02:12 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
In 10 years time you'll have a good, portable router :)
That is if they arent dead yet
sig.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #19 on: 7 March 2006, 07:01 »
To the topic starter...the 14" iBook sounds good for you, and is $1300 US.  I would still wait to see what the Intel models will be like, though.  (I'll be slightly mad if there's a good 13" widescreen one...I'd take that over this 12" 4:3 PowerBook any day.  Oh wait, I use Classic, sorry.)
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez