Author Topic: Whoops - Some XBOX 360s Shipped With Foil on Heatsink  (Read 2871 times)

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
Someone has been falling down on the job

For those that may have been having heat-up issues with your Xbox 360, some folks from the German Xbox modding scene have encountered what may be the cause of some of those problems.

They uncovered that some Xbox 360 units have been shipping with the protective foil left in place that covers the GPU heatsink compound during shipping from the manufacturer. With the foil in place, heat cannot be properly transferred from the ATI GPU to the heatsink.

This protective layer is probably placed by the manifacturer of the heatsink and is used to protect the heat transfer pad from dust, but should normally be removed just prior installing the heatsink on the GPU. The way it's installed now by MS the GPU chip makes contact with the protection foil instead of the heat transfer pad. This can of course cause cooling issues for the graphics chip as for optimal cooling performance there should just be a thin layer of thermal pad between the GPU chip and heatsink.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=1193

:nothappy:
[/i]

Dark_Me

• Kudos: 314
Re: Whoops - Some XBOX 360s Shipped With Foil on Heatsink
« Reply #1 on: 11 March 2006, 05:05 »
Thats just... stupid. Don't they go through a quality check or something? I mean, somwhere along the line this should have been caught by someone.
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
If your a selfish, self-centred prick, who is willing to leave half the world in poverty, then yes.
-Kintaro

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #2 on: 11 March 2006, 06:04 »
I heard the the foil is the thermal transfer material....
sig.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #3 on: 11 March 2006, 13:31 »
I don't think so, normally the thermal transfer material is an electrical insulator to isolate the heat sink from the chip substrate unless the thermal pad on the case isn't electrically connected to the die.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #4 on: 11 March 2006, 14:02 »
They've just topped their hidden files mess!
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Dark_Me

« Reply #5 on: 11 March 2006, 14:05 »
I don't think MS is ever going to live this down.
EDIT:It seems Slashdot got ahold of it.
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
If your a selfish, self-centred prick, who is willing to leave half the world in poverty, then yes.
-Kintaro

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
sig.

Dark_Me

« Reply #7 on: 11 March 2006, 18:15 »
Quote from: Lead Head
I heard the the foil is the thermal transfer material....
Enterly possible except for the fact that 360's have been found without the pad on them. It's in that link to the thread you posted.
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
-Kintaro

Pathos

• Kudos: 416

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #9 on: 20 March 2006, 04:00 »
Some design ... piece of shit as always coming from M$