Author Topic: Windows works! Why would i want to change it?  (Read 1719 times)

trickyt

• Kudos: 0
Windows works! Why would i want to change it?
« on: 12 November 2002, 03:15 »
Windows works. Whay would I want to change it?  I'm not saying Linux is bad or anything, it just that out of the hundreds of people I know, not one plays with Linux.  But for me it comes down to the simple fact that when XP is installed everything seems to work just fine.  A few small gripes, like I wish it would boot up faster etc.  But the main thing is that it does what i want without problems. If you agree, just post here!

(fire extinguisher at the ready)
I L M$'s $$$$ (means I love their Dollars)

slave

• http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
« Reply #1 on: 12 November 2002, 03:25 »
For these people it's more of an ethical issue.  Most of them think Windows XP "works" well enough, but they believe Micrososft is an evil corporation and Bill Gates is $atan.  They'd also probably say that you're taking a selfish and short-sighted stance with that attitude.  Windows XP works, but will Palladium work?  (how you want it to work, anyway)  Do you want to keep feeding Microsoft until it's too late to stop it from ruining the computing industry? Do you believe in illegal monopolies and security through obscurity?  And so on.

edit: I've thought of some more ideas.  A lot of people are computer science students, so they want a porous and customizable OS with lots of source code.  And, frankly, some people think Linux just works better than Windows.  (I know that's kind of hard to believe)  Then there's the issue of cost-effectiveness.  A lot of people are against pirating software but don't want to spend thousands of dollars on proprietary software, so they use Linux.

[ November 11, 2002: Message edited by: Windows XP User #5225982375 ]

emh

« Reply #2 on: 12 November 2002, 03:49 »
If you're happy with XP, there's not really anything we can do to change your mind.  But let me list some of my reasons for switching to Linux instead of upgrading to XP from 98se:

1.  I can't afford to buy a new computer right now, which I pretty much would have had to do if I bought XP.  My specs are 500 Mhz AMD K6-2 processor, 192 MB of Ram, 20 gig harddrive.  Can XP user or Zombie tell me that XP would run on my computer?

2.  Better multi-tasking support.  Windows 98se was okay with it, but it had its limits.  With Mandrake Linux 8.2, I haven't yet found the limits.  It can just handle more at once than Windows 98 can.

3.  Stability.  I've only managed to crash Mandrake a couple times since I've been using it.  Windows 98 crashed about once a week, and that's a conservative estimate.

4.  Excellent hardware support.  You'd be hard-pressed to find hardware that doesn't work in Linux.  Even if a piece of hardware is not listed as supported, it doesn't mean it won't work.  My webcam works, even though it's not listed as supported in Mandrake's hardware database.

5.  Lots of high-quality software available.  You've got at least ten internet browsers, lots of media players, office suites, image programs, complex multimedia applications, and lots of other things that I can't think of right now.  And the vast majority of it is free, which is a nice side-benefit.  But I would gladly pay for this software if they did charge for it.

6.  You could easily have all the software you'll ever use on one distribution of Linux.  This could also be said for Windows XP, however, all the software on Linux is optional, whereas with any version of Windows after 95, the software is integrated into the operating system, and you can't remove it even if you don't use it.

7.  LInux is easy to use.  It's only difficult at first because most people have been using Windows or Macintosh only for a long time.  But after only a few weeks, they can use Linux just as easily as any other operating system.

8.  And the biggest reason of all:  Not having to rely on Microsoft to have a usable computer.  Instead of being competitive, Microsoft has resorted to predatory practices and illegal practices to make sure it remains the only choice in virtually all major software categories.  Using Linux means you don't have to rely on Microsoft just to be able to use your computer normally.

edit:  For the record, I'm not a computer science student, nor do I have any programming experience whatsoever.  I'm your average computer user that wanted to reduce his dependency on the Microsoft monopoly, and found an excellent choice in Mandrake Linux.

In short, Linux just works.

[ November 11, 2002: Message edited by: emh ]

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #3 on: 12 November 2002, 03:54 »
windows xp didnt work for me. believe it or not it crashed alot, and just random weird errors, somedays my digital camera would work, other days it wouldnt, same with an external zip drive. when i start up, the first that would happen is explorer crashes, right away. i didnt even have a window open. there are some things i did like about it, like the built in pppoe support, cd buring from explorer. but it really hindered my ability to get my work out at a decent time, i spent a lot of time trying to get windows to work. it didnt like autocad or 3d studio max 3 & 4 at all. i ended up putting windows 2000 back on that machine. less problems, still a pain in the ass machine. i have xp installed at work, where i do a lot of graphic design & 3d animation, and it just doesnt cut it. im shit out of luck on the 3d side right now, but when i get home, my graphics are done on a mac. why? because macs just work. because osX just works. i have my mac g4 next to my dual athlon windows machine. the mac hasnt been turned off, or crashed since i moved into my apartment (july, last summer). where as my windows machine has to be turned off everyday. that way when i start it up, its nice and fast. if i dont shut it down, after a few days it slows down to a snails pace. my mac still opens apps like i just turned it on.

quote:
 Originally posted by Happy XP User:
If you agree, just post here!

I guess I dont agree, but i had to post.
i would like to hear more about why i should use windows though. i never really get to hear any good reasons why i should make windows my primary OS. all i ever hear is "everybody else uses it" "itz got more gamez" etc... i dont play games on the computer. i bought a gamecube to play games.
anyways. ill stop before i start rambling   ;)

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #4 on: 12 November 2002, 04:19 »
quote:
Originally posted by Happy XP User:
Windows works. Whay would I want to change it?  I'm not saying Linux is bad or anything, it just that out of the hundreds of people I know, not one plays with Linux.  But for me it comes down to the simple fact that when XP is installed everything seems to work just fine.  A few small gripes, like I wish it would boot up faster etc.  But the main thing is that it does what i want without problems. If you agree, just post here!

(fire extinguisher at the ready)

One question. If you are happy with it, why are you here?  And I don't *play* with Linux (well, sometimes I do). Linux is a tool, or set of tools. Much like a socket wrench set. I don't play with a socket set, I use it to get my work done. I guess I do use it for play as well, like right now talking to you.

I have a nice red Linux tool box full to the top with some of the best tools available that were given to me to use as I wish. If my tool box were full of Microsoft tools I would only be renting them from Microsoft, and they would only work on certain vehicles, there would be many tools missing, and if I open a drawer too far the Microsoft tools will cause the tool box to tip over.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #5 on: 12 November 2002, 04:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by void main:
I have a nice red Linux tool box full to the top with some of the best tools available that were given to me to use as I wish. If my tool box were full of Microsoft tools I would only be renting them from Microsoft, and they would only work on certain vehicles, there would be many tools missing, and if I open a drawer too far the Microsoft tools will cause the tool box to tip over.

thats classic    

[ November 11, 2002: Message edited by: xyle_one-point-two ]

Bazoukas

• Kudos: 140
    • http://whitehouse.com
« Reply #6 on: 12 November 2002, 04:42 »
My main beef with MS is their politics and their closed source.
  The fact that they force Companies to sale Computers with their OS, or the fact that have taken  so many technologies from third parties with out at least giving the appropriate recognition to those companies/research teams. They present things that they didnt create as their own. Then we have their upgrades. What upgrades?

They simply stop improving their current version and they do new things to that version and present it as a new version. And you end up having crap pilling on top of other crap pilling on other older crap. .

To top that, they make you upgrade. Companies are losing alot of money because of that. Long live MS politics.

MANY MANY programs for example that run on WIN98 wont run with WIN2k and WinXP and vise versa. Where is the logic behind that?

Longhorn. Another screwup for the consumer. They will change the OS so much that programs that run with XP will have trouble running with longhorn. Even Bill Gates said  that himself at Charlie Rose. I bet you my bottom dollar,  MANY MANY MANY programs will not have trouble running with longhorn, because they wont RUN at all.

Closed source. The very fact that you are depended on a bunch  of overpaid coders closed in an office is not that appealing to me.
  The pace that the open source community fixes bugs and security issues is much faster than MS pace. he reason? You have thousands of coders from all around the world focused on a specific problem, and the best solution takes the lead.

I dont have to pay  thousands to accumilate apps that do everyday tasks. Office apps (which in Red Hat at least you have 3-4 to select from, Compilers, Cd burner apps, DVD player apps, apps for day to day administration, such as "Norton Utilities" like apps and so on.

Windows has another thing that craps it out. Its the Registry. The registry can and will be corrupted after some time. Cold reboots, or code that is badly writen will mess up the registry. The registry would be a good tool if Windows was 1000% crash proof, but it isnt. And besides why would you need the registry? The bad outweigh the good.

Security. No Linux is not Virus proof and a Linux user in his right mind will NEVER say that. The thing is though, that Linux is more "tight". The whole structure of it makes it hard for your system to die if you run into trouble like that. Unless you log in as root all the time (which that makes you an idiot by default).

Freedom and flexibility. You are not locked into anything. Think of something to do with Linux and you can do it because of its open source.

Take an I486 and install RedHat8.0. It will run. Take XP in the same machine. Guess what. It will crap. Give me any Windows Version and lets see how many types of filesystems it can read. Linux can read so many that you cant even memorize them.

Create a powerpoint presentation with Open Office and it works with Windows. Make a presentation with Powerpoint and it works with Open Office.
Why? Simply because it saves it in many different file formats and read different formats.  I dare you to find me a MS office app that does the same.
 You wont.

Windows has the edge on the installation of apps. Click Click Click kazam you are done. This is not a problem though with Linux that is not fixable. Its not a damage to begin with. Its just a matter of polishing it up. Make it more easy. Suse is about to go head on with XP with their next release even in issues like that.

Red Hat 8.0 is a sign of things to come. Just take it for a drive and your jaw will drop to the floor. I can only imagine what they will do with Version 9.0-9.1-9.2-9.3.

The pace of development in Open SOurce is way too fast for MS to keep up.

I am not in favor of MS going down to the drain. To call the developers of MS stupid is not sound. They are smart but the way MS handles its releations with the outside world, will bring them down, because people are getting fed up. And if they go down, they will deserve it.

[ November 11, 2002: Message edited by: bazoukas ]

[ November 11, 2002: Message edited by: bazoukas ]

Yeah

RudeCat7

• Kudos: 109
« Reply #7 on: 12 November 2002, 04:46 »
Yes, I agree that Linux is a tool. It is there for people who desire a specialized tool. In the right hands Linux can do anything. It should be just a matter of choice.

What gets to me is microsoft's business practices. They don't want to give you that choice.
*meow!* I didn't say Linux was easier, I said it was better, Dumbass!

Doctor V

« Reply #8 on: 12 November 2002, 05:03 »
Another thing, I have this computer sitting in front of me.  Its mine! (Or would be if I was at home and not work, anyway).  I paid for it, and I think I should have a right to decide what it does.  I don't want it doing all knids of secret things behine my back to serve some rich man far away.  It should serve me, it should do what I tell it, not what the company that made its apps does.  I don't want it to shut off just because the criteria of that rich man has not been met.  He has enough money already, he dosn't need any more of mine.  I like freedom.

Face it, if your running windows, then your computer is not completely yours, it serves Redmond first you second.

V

enigma

• http://www.geekmeister.net
« Reply #9 on: 12 November 2002, 05:19 »
it is mostly about, are you ganna support a monopoly? ethinicity, like xp user said.
Out of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. -Ozzy Osborne

mn- micro-nazism - from the post comparing Gates to Hitler. I did not make up this term, "micro-nazism", i merely use it.

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
« Reply #10 on: 12 November 2002, 06:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by void main:
One question. If you are happy with it, why are you here?

I second that! I also think that we have been over this issue a thousand times in the forum so why not do a search for those "why Linux is better than windows" posts?

The Auditor

« Reply #11 on: 13 November 2002, 10:18 »
yup.. I'll third that.

And post this..

WINDOWS uses more resources, a stable and smooth OS like LINUX doesnt.

XP sucks..
Enable telnet Daemon on your system and let the script kidiots in Happy  

The Auditor
"You can always die, it's living that takes courage."

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
« Reply #12 on: 13 November 2002, 10:31 »
ACtually, XP would run fine on our 500 mhz K6-2 w/192MB of Ram rig. You don't have to have a ghz+ processor and 512MB+ of Ram to use XP. Sure, XP(and any other OS in existance) will run better on newer, faster hardware. Faster hardware is a luxury..it isn't a mandatory requirement for XP. I tried XP on a 200mhz Pentium Pro, 128MB of EDO ram, 5GB hard drive, cheap ass Trident 2D video card system at work and honestly it seemed to run alot better than Win9x and Win2K did on the same box(MS recommends at least a 233mhz processor, but you can run it on slower processors).

[ November 13, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

The Auditor

« Reply #13 on: 13 November 2002, 10:36 »
XP is a pile of shit compared to 2k.. i ran XP for about a month.. then formatted and re-installed 2k.

Eats resources.. and resources effect stability and time.. time is money..

And i got bored.
Sorry.. i hate XP.. and Microsoft..
The Auditor
"You can always die, it's living that takes courage."

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
« Reply #14 on: 13 November 2002, 10:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by The Auditor:
yup.. I'll third that.

And post this..

WINDOWS uses more resources, a stable and smooth OS like LINUX doesnt.

XP sucks..
Enable telnet Daemon on your system and let the script kidiots in Happy    

The Auditor

I love linux, once I get my modem to work i'll never go back to windows. but linux is using about 190-240mb of ram, i've disabled almost every service. Windows always takes 97mb of ram, unless i'm running vmware, then it goes up to 240mb.