Author Topic: Scratch CD's  (Read 2831 times)

Xeniczone

• Kudos: 0
Scratch CD's
« on: 22 March 2006, 04:54 »
Ok, Here is my story.

I was on my gameing computer I was playing battlefeild 2 I was already mad because my team was losing. When my bro. came up and said the game wouldn't work I went into the other room, looked at the screen it said "Please put in a Playstation or Playstation 2 format disk."      I thought he put the disk in backwards again so I ejected the disk and it was in right. I looked at the bottom at the disk and the thing was scratched like crazy!!! there was so many scratches on the bottom you couldn't measure a 1cm difference between them. Pissed off I asked what had happened and who is going to give me the 50 bucks for the disk.

Anyway I started learning that I started looking up on the internet how to fix them I have seen the Disk Doctor and it was 40 bucks i would perfer a new disk. But is there a cheaper way that works !!!NOT TOOTHPASTE IT JUST MAKES IT WORST!!! I start pulling out cleaning solution and consintrated asid on cd-r i scratched on purpose to see what would work.

Bottom line:
How to fix a scratch cd CHEAP?

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
Re: Scratch CD's
« Reply #1 on: 22 March 2006, 05:00 »
Most of the stuff I've tried failed :( Only real way is to prevent scratching ... assuming that is possible. I once saw these protective transparent sieves that would attach to the disk and being transparent the laser could read through the film ... they were rather expensive though ... do they exist ... was I dreaming ... I'm not sure anymore ... I don't know what's real anymore !!!

toadlife

• Kudos: 376
    • http://toadlife.net
« Reply #2 on: 22 March 2006, 07:47 »
Scratched CDs can be fixed if you are willing to put in a significant amount of work on it.

First the ingredients:

1 Scratched CD
 2 Soft cotton cloths - preferably the type you would use for waxing a car
 1 Rotary Polisher (optional)
 1 bottle of car polish (not WAX, polish)
 1 pack of fine sandpaper - 600 grit

Now, the instructions:

Take your CD and clean it thoroughly with soap and warm water. Don;'t worry. Soap and water will not damage it. Every day Dish-Soap will do just fine. Don't use solvents. Solvents will destroy the CD

Once the CD is clean, grab your 600 grit sandpaper and wet sand the data surface of the CD until it's completely dull. It's very important that you wet sand the CD. Dry sanding it will create a surface that is too rough and permanently damage your CD. if you've never wet-sanded anything don't worry - it's not hard. Just soak the sandpaper in water frequently and/or sand the CD while running it under your faucet. Sand it lightly and try and sand the entire surface evenly. When you are done, the CDs data surface should be completely dull (non-reflective) and have the same dullness across the entire area of the CD. it should also be very smooth to the touch. If there are still scratches on the CD, keep sanding until they are gone and the entire disc is smooth.

After sanding your CD, dry it thoroughly and apply car polish liberally to the data surface.

If you have a rotary polisher, apply polish to the buffer cloth, turn the polisher on hold it upside down. Lightly run the surface of the CD over the buffer to polish the CD back to usable form. If your buffer is an "industrial grade" type, it can potentially shatter your CD, so this method must be employed with great care. Even the cheapo buffers you get at the local k-mart can be dangerous to a CD, so be gentle. Continue to buff the CD, adding polish as it dries out until the surface is shiny again.

If you DON'T have a rotary buffer, grab your cotton cloth and polish the surface of the CD by hand. Doing it by hand requires that you appply a good deal of pressure and, and it will take onsiderably longer than the buffer method. Keep polishing the CD, remembering to add polish when it runs out, until the data surface is shiny again.

Assuming there was not damage to the label side of the CD, when you are done, your CD will be in mint condition.

In case you are wondering, yes, I've done this myself with an old Nirvana CD that I've owned for ten years. Before fixing it, several tracks would not even play all the way through. Afterwards I was able to rip the entire CD to my computer with zero read errors.

Good luck.
:)

Dark_Me

• Kudos: 314
« Reply #3 on: 22 March 2006, 08:39 »
How does that work exactly? I'm not saying it won't. But just that I have no idea how it would.
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
If your a selfish, self-centred prick, who is willing to leave half the world in poverty, then yes.
-Kintaro

toadlife

« Reply #4 on: 22 March 2006, 09:11 »
Quote from: Dark_Me
How does that work exactly? I'm not saying it won't. But just that I have no idea how it would.

It works becaus the "data" side of a CD doesn't actually contain the data. The data of a CD is written on the underside of the label side of the CD. The data side of a CD is simply clear plastic. Scracthes obscure the view of the CD's laser - the data underneath is still there - the CD just can't see it. Sanding down the CD's "data" side and polishing back to a miror finish simply restores CD drives ability to view the data.

The process I've descrived above is the "poor-mans method" of doing what commercial CD restoration services do. There are machines you can buy that do this automatically - movie rental stores have them and use them for the DVDs they rent out. The process can be repeated several times on the same CD/DVD, though I'm not sure how many times though. Eventually the CD would become to thin and the CD/DVD drive would probably have trouble reading it.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Xeniczone

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #6 on: 22 March 2006, 16:32 »
I think the one about sanding will work but there is a problem even with fine sand paper this is a dvd and the laser is smaller focus so even the thinest scrach distracts the stupid dvd and its a playstation 2 that is 5 years old (got it when it first come out) the thing has enough issues with reading disks that are new you know stick it in 10 mins before you want to play and 10mins later when you want to play it has just loaded.

The only issue I see with this is it makes the cd thinner it happened to my mortal kombat 3 disk. I got it from family video and they have one of those big "pro" cd fixers. I was thinking of asking them how much it would cost to fix my cd if they would. but anyway. i could see that the disk had been though that device with the marks visible on the playstions black disk. the stupid cd was so thin it snaped in half inside my hand. let alone what a high speed cd rom drive could or would have done to that.

the smallest sand paper i have is 100 I will try to get rid of some of the sand and try it on a test cd then i don't have care polish that doesn't have wax in it so I will use rust remover that has acid in it that got rid of some of the marks made on the disk in one of my test.

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
« Reply #7 on: 22 March 2006, 18:42 »
Quote from: Xeniczone
Ok, Here is my story.

I was on my gameing computer I was playing battlefeild 2 I was already mad because my team was losing. When my bro. came up and said the game wouldn't work I went into the other room, looked at the screen it said "Please put in a Playstation or Playstation 2 format disk."      I thought he put the disk in backwards again so I ejected the disk and it was in right. I looked at the bottom at the disk and the thing was scratched like crazy!!! there was so many scratches on the bottom you couldn't measure a 1cm difference between them. Pissed off I asked what had happened and who is going to give me the 50 bucks for the disk.

Anyway I started learning that I started looking up on the internet how to fix them I have seen the Disk Doctor and it was 40 bucks i would perfer a new disk. But is there a cheaper way that works !!!NOT TOOTHPASTE IT JUST MAKES IT WORST!!! I start pulling out cleaning solution and consintrated asid on cd-r i scratched on purpose to see what would work.

Bottom line:
How to fix a scratch cd CHEAP?

are you sure it's the disc when I had a PS2 a few years back it slowly stopped reading most of my discs (until I opened it and cleaned the lens)

by the way, I just got BF2 and it pwns. :thumbup:

toadlife

« Reply #8 on: 22 March 2006, 18:51 »
Quote from: Xeniczone
the smallest sand paper i have is 100 I will try to get rid of some of the sand and try it on a test cd then i don't have care polish that doesn't have wax in it so I will use rust remover that has acid in it that got rid of some of the marks made on the disk in one of my test.

You will destroy the disc with 100grit sand paper and rust remover.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #9 on: 22 March 2006, 19:31 »
Quote from: toadlife
(long solution)

You rule. :thumbup:

A question, though...will this method fix more than scratches?  (ie, smearing, etc.)
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

toadlife

« Reply #10 on: 22 March 2006, 20:22 »
Quote from: WMD
You rule. :thumbup:

A question, though...will this method fix more than scratches?  (ie, smearing, etc.)

AFAIK, it should fix any physical defects on the surface.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #11 on: 22 March 2006, 23:39 »
@ Zone, i hope you know, the higher the grit sand paper, the finer it is. Just for I took a CD to ~200 Grit sand paper. It was completely destroyed in a few minutes.

@ Toad, would higher grit paper like 1200 or even 2000 grit work?
sig.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #12 on: 23 March 2006, 03:40 »
Hmmmm ... sanding a disk that is already scratched ... it should only be necessary for deeply scratched disks or ones with surface imperfections ... I recommend you try it with an AOL disk first (you should have plenty of those around ... if not check you mail)

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #13 on: 23 March 2006, 04:15 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
Hmmmm ... sanding a disk that is already scratched ... it should only be necessary for deeply scratched disks or ones with surface imperfections ... I recommend you try it with an AOL disk first (you should have plenty of those around ... if not check you mail)

Since i couldn't find any 600grit sand paper, I got my old win98 disk and took a high powered belt sander to it:)

I recomend you try with high powered belt sanders on old wind98 CDs first
sig.

toadlife

« Reply #14 on: 23 March 2006, 04:57 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H

Yes. Trying it on a CD you don't care about first is a very good idea.