Author Topic: Scratch CD's  (Read 2829 times)

toadlife

• Kudos: 376
    • http://toadlife.net
Re: Scratch CD's
« Reply #15 on: 23 March 2006, 04:58 »
Quote from: Lead Head
@ Toad, would higher grit paper like 1200 or even 2000 grit work?

The grit has to be low enough to remove the existing scratches. 1200-2000 is very high, so I'm not sure if it would work.
:)

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #16 on: 23 March 2006, 12:38 »
Thanks, Toadlife for the very detailed discussion.  

Something else to consider.  Many used CD stores have buffers and polishes for fixing up the CDs they sell.  They will usually fix up your  CD's for you for a fee, which you can consider if you don't have the necessary tools (and  patience).
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

Xeniczone

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #17 on: 26 March 2006, 03:37 »
are you sure it's the disc when I had a PS2 a few years back it slowly stopped reading most of my discs (until I opened it and cleaned the lens)

by the way, I just got BF2 and it pwns

it is the disk, I have tested it with call of duty works fine. I got my ps2 for free the person gave it to me saying it didn't read controllor just a quick fix to the controllor port and it worked fine :)

Yeh, BF2 does rock best game ever (computer version best)

Just to make sure you know I have been using test cds. I haven't even touched the origanal disk yet. just some aol cds that have come in the mail. the sand paper I used was fine sand paper it said 100 on it. the test cd using wet sanding is not really scratch just looks kind of you know crystalized a kinda whitened look. I will try some silver polish or something to remove that and see if the cd works. to represent the scratches on my cd I took a cd-r or aol cd that came in the mail and then took a nice nife and made it light to heavy scratches on it.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #18 on: 26 March 2006, 04:02 »
[OFFTOPIC]What's the correct spelling of disk/disc?
Is one US and the other UK or can you spell it either way?

Or is a disk a floppy disk and a CD a compact disc?[/OFFTOPIC]
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #19 on: 26 March 2006, 04:17 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
[OFFTOPIC]What's the correct spelling of disk/disc?
Is one US and the other UK or can you spell it either way?

Or is a disk a floppy disk and a CD a compact disc?[/OFFTOPIC]

[offtopic]IIRC, technically speaking, "disk" is shorthand for floppy "diskette" whereas "disc" is shorthand for "discus" - the former being based on the original term, the latter being a loose description of the device.  The two are used interchangeably nowadays, often by people claiming one to be the Anglican spelling, but I doubt that such a claim is valid, as I've seen no evidence in recent Oxford entries to support it.[/offtopic]

EDIT: Having re-checked Merriam-Webster and Oxford Compact, it would appear that the two agree.

Oxford "Disc (2)" has the notation that the word is "disk" when referring to "an information storage device for a computer, on which data is stored either magnetically or optically" while Webster's "disk(1,noun) (4c)" denotes a disk as "a round flat plate coated with a magnetic substance on which data for a computer is stored."
« Last Edit: 26 March 2006, 04:30 by Orethrius »

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #20 on: 26 March 2006, 04:26 »
[OFFTOPIC] Whoah ... never realized there were two types of disk or disc ... usually I use disk ... disc seems like an incomplete word ... and it is, it's supposed to be discus :) [/OFFTOPIC]

Duo Maxwell

• VIP
  • Kudos: 232
    • http://www.homepage.mac.com/duo_maxwell1/
« Reply #21 on: 27 March 2006, 12:01 »
No Hollywood Video, Family Video, Disc Go Round or any other kinda shop that specializes in selling used music, games or movies or a rental shop near by? They usually have a buffing machine, they charge like $1.50 a disc but I haven't had a problem with it, done like 3 discs, PS2, PSOne and a CD I think. The rental shops here all have them cept blockbuster as far as I know, I have them check the DVDs and games for scratches before I pay, need that bit of insurance cause I ain't paying for a disc that someone else fucked up.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #22 on: 27 March 2006, 12:20 »
Quote from: Xeniczone
Yeh, BF2 does rock best game ever (computer version best)

You must be joking, BF2 is full of shit.

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #23 on: 27 March 2006, 22:04 »
Quote from: Refalm
You must be joking, BF2 is full of shit.

I couldn't agree more :D

toadlife

« Reply #24 on: 27 March 2006, 22:16 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
I couldn't agree more :D

It's all a matter of taste. I am a simulation buff, so I personally think games like BF2 are crap because they are not realistic. I don't care how pretty the graphics are, if you can get shot five times and still be alive then the game is shit to me.

The two war games which I really liked over the last few years are Operation Flashpoint (UBER REALISM BABY!) and Hidden and Dangerous 1 and 2. Both of these games are realistic in that they are very difficult and getting shot just once means instant death 90% of the time.

People that like games like BF2 and counter strike tend to NOT like games like Hidden and Dangerous and Flashpoint and vice versa.

Each to his own. :)

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #25 on: 27 March 2006, 22:31 »
Getting a bit off topic ...

I think one of the best, most realistic shooting games was Rogue Spear ... an ancient game ... 1 shot to kill, unless you hit 'em in the arm or something. I pwnd everyone in that game ... mostly because I ran around full speed and shot people in the back of the head ... they thought I was cheating. (Other games where I dominated the competition ... Mechwarrior (all of 'em) and Aliens vs. Predator 2 (as a predator ... you can truly be an army of one ... I once won the game ... highest score, most kills ... as me alone on one team vs. everyone else on 2 other teams ... me vs. ~11-12 other ppl !)

cymon

• Kudos: 172
« Reply #26 on: 27 March 2006, 22:36 »
America's Army.

One of my favorite, and one of the hardest games ever. Probably one of the only FPS games in which big guns will get you killed.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #27 on: 27 March 2006, 23:15 »
Quote from: cymon
America's Army.

One of my favorite, and one of the hardest games ever. Probably one of the only FPS games in which big guns will get you killed.

the n00b canon(big arse machine gun) in CS:S is usually 1 hit kill
sig.

Xeniczone

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #28 on: 27 March 2006, 23:31 »
It's all a matter of taste. I am a simulation buff, so I personally think games like BF2 are crap because they are not realistic. I don't care how pretty the graphics are, if you can get shot five times and still be alive then the game is shit to me.

The two war games which I really liked over the last few years are Operation Flashpoint (UBER REALISM BABY!) and Hidden and Dangerous 1 and 2. Both of these games are realistic in that they are very difficult and getting shot just once means instant death 90% of the time.

People that like games like BF2 and counter strike tend to NOT like games like Hidden and Dangerous and Flashpoint and vice versa

I like battlefield2 Need for speed and all those simulator games but I also Like science fiction games like halo and killzone.

Halo has the issue with only 4 weapons work the pistal flamethrower rocket and fuelrod. All the other weapons off load as much as you want there almost useless

as for H_TeXMeX_H he just plan crazy he doesn't like bf2 and he doesn't like sony. GOD wow what are you a microsoft fanboy. you have a xbox with the game of the year for having the most gliches Halo.

toadlife

« Reply #29 on: 28 March 2006, 01:45 »
Getting a bit off topic ...

I think one of the best, most realistic shooting games was Rogue Spear

That game was semi-realistic (certainly better than games like MOAA), but..

...I ran around full speed and shot people in the back of the head ...

....That is *completely* unrealistic. ;)

If you tried doing that in flashpoint you'd more likely shoot yourself (from a ricochet off the ground) than anything else.