Author Topic: Scratch CD's  (Read 2826 times)

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
Re: Scratch CD's
« Reply #30 on: 28 March 2006, 04:26 »
Yeah, but it was the most realistic game I've played, excluding the running and shooting bit ... really you could only do that without armor, but I'm not sure it's completely unrealistic. The shooting reticule expanded while running, making shots far less accurate depending on weapon-specific recoil ... so, ok I didn't always land a headshot from behind, but if you stopped or slowed down when right behind 'em you could get a headshot. The more efficient way was to just run and fire until they drop ... handguns would work great for this, not assault rifles. I remember once I had an HK G3A3 ... and my team kept team killing me ... so I got pissed and next round I killed them all (except 1 guy) with 1 clip ... it sprayed bullets everywhere :D

Annorax

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 457
« Reply #31 on: 28 March 2006, 06:52 »
Quote from: etement
by the way, I just got BF2 and it sucks donkey balls.

fixed your post.
Quote from: "bash.org"
<3M> ok guys i've finally got my windows me machine up and running again :D
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....
<3M> who is general failure and why is he reading my hard disc :(
somehow, "i told you so" doesn't quite say it ;)

Xeniczone

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #32 on: 28 March 2006, 23:24 »
ok then, lets get back on topic

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #33 on: 29 March 2006, 00:05 »
I dunno, scratched CDs are not that much of a problem as long as you don't use an XBox or a shitty DVD-ROM or CD-ROM drive. I've never had any problems with unreadable disks before ... even though some disks were really scratched. I think it's only the deep scratches that seriously affect readability.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #34 on: 29 March 2006, 00:25 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
I dunno, scratched CDs are not that much of a problem as long as you don't use an XBox or a shitty DVD-ROM or CD-ROM drive.

Or as long as you aren't a retard who can't take care of your CDs.  Seriously, I have CDs near a decade old with almost nothing noticable on them.

Oh, yeah...it also doesn't help when you buy a CD that comes in a strange, "special edition" case, in which the CD touches the back of the case.  (read: David Gilmour's new CD)
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

davidnix71

• Kudos: 501
« Reply #35 on: 29 March 2006, 03:47 »
It doesn't have to be a scratch. I just got back from Tampa from a nieces' wedding. My father was instaling Ubuntu on a Dell but needed help with his 98SE pc. One of my archive pc program discs had a green oval spot on the underside. I gave him the backup cd's with the eMachine I wasn't using.

The cd locked up the computer it was in trying to read the unreadable DirectX 8.1 backup I had made. Cleaning it with dishwashing liquid and buffing it with a cloth did no good. Fortunately I make frequent backups. My father doesn't believe in jewel cases, he uses plastic sleeve compacts. I'm not sure what it touched, but that cd is a frisbee now.

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #36 on: 29 March 2006, 04:31 »
Note that the paper CD cases do scratch CDs ... paper of any kind next to a CD will scratch it.

davidnix71

• Kudos: 501
« Reply #37 on: 29 March 2006, 06:19 »
Damn, this isn't my week. A program I paid $70 for is going to be sent back. The blue silk screen on the front ate the data layer. If you hold it up to a light, you can see through it. It locks up my drives trying to read something that's no longer there. The silk screen is still pretty, though. I never thought to back this one up. When I get the replacement, I'll copy it and install from the copy just to make sure I got it this time.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #38 on: 29 March 2006, 16:24 »
Of course making a backup copy probably violates the EULA so you're screwd if you don't brake the law.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

ReggieMicheals

• Kudos: 228
    • http://osadvocacy.frih.net/
« Reply #39 on: 29 March 2006, 18:23 »
But who's gonna know and who's gonna care to report you?
Operating System Advocacy. I've given up on the Microsuck project, as well as any of the minisite spinoffs. You can still view the new beta site, though!

Dark_Me

• Kudos: 314
« Reply #40 on: 30 March 2006, 05:39 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
Of course making a backup copy probably violates the EULA so you're screwd if you don't brake the law.
Actually you can make as many backup copies as you like (under US law) despite what it says in the EULA. They just like to tell you that you can't.
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
If your a selfish, self-centred prick, who is willing to leave half the world in poverty, then yes.
-Kintaro

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #41 on: 30 March 2006, 09:04 »
Quote from: Dark_Me
Actually you can make as many backup copies as you like (under US law) despite what it says in the EULA. They just like to tell you that you can't.

That depends on prevailing jurisdiction.  "Fair use" has traditionally been upheld as the exception to the rule, but the DMCA seems to exempt "copy-controlled devices" from such possibilities as forcing copies could easily be seen as "circumventing copyright protection devices with intent."  In the U.S., the Supreme Court has yet to return a clear and nonpartisan ruling on the issue, so for the time being the legalities are left to individual circuit and appeals courts.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals