Author Topic: Bill Gates interview on Longhorn - funny and informative  (Read 1082 times)

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
http://news.com.com/2008-1016_3-5098285.html?tag=nefd_gutspro

My favorite parts:

quote:
Bill Gates:
That's right. It's integrated innovation. There's this constant trend that, as you are seeing things that many applications are needing to do and getting standards for how those things are done--those things move into the platform.

Integrated innovation?? Didn't they steal every feature in Windows from Mac and Linux???

quote:
Now that we are moving to this Web services world--a loosely coupled, message-based breakthrough that computer scientists have dreamed of for decades--all of the things that let that be possible need to be in the $50 operating system.

Longhorn will cost $50???   :confused:   Someone needs to explain that to me. I think I'm reading it wrong.

quote:
There's a general attitude now to not see that we will be delivering more software advances and productivity in this decade than we did in the last.

That's not only a general attitude. I'd say its a common prayer to God among the computer science community and the informed public to see you burn in hell this decade and be forgotten by the next. I think the actions taken by many governments this year prove that.

quote:
What Microsoft can do, because of our high-volume, low-price model, is put innovations in the software that not only simplify software development but reduce management costs, security add-on costs, directory management costs that an IT department has.

Billy, can you PLEASE stop using the word innovation in every other sentence of every interview you give.

quote:
So our paradigm is very much that through software innovation, we simplify things that they are doing today;

See last comment.

quote:
we surprise them by being able to simplify things

I think he meant to say "we don't really surprise anyone with our ability to fuck things up."

quote:
On the firewall side, we have articulated exactly how we are going to make that easy to audit and do super well. Our challenge is that because of the density of our systems,

Finally, we agree on something! Yes, Bill, your operating system, your company, and you yourself are very dense!

quote:
We're announcing here that our Office group will do a version of Office that requires Longhorn

So Bill Gates just admitted that M$ will force people to buy Longhorn to use the newest Office in the future. Any surprises?   :rolleyes:  

quote:
We have built a compatible operating system. That's one of the things that Microsoft does.

No comment   :eek:  

quote:
think the idea that your address book should be usable by other applications, that your calendar should be accessible by other applications--that is a big part of Longhorn

Interesting...so if MS Word crashes while using my address book, not only is my document gone but my contacts are now fucked up too. Jolly!

jtpenrod

• VIP
  • Kudos: 105
Bill Gates interview on Longhorn - funny and informative
« Reply #1 on: 31 October 2003, 21:44 »
His Gatesness:

quote:

Now that we are moving to this Web services world--a loosely coupled, message-based breakthrough that computer scientists have dreamed of for decades--all of the things that let that be possible need to be in the $50 operating system. And so here we have Indigo, which will be in Windows and let you do transactions and queuing.

WTF?(!)    :eek:  

Here are some prices I pulled off amazon.com
Windows XP (Home): $96.99
Windows XP (Pro):  $179.99

SuSE (Home): $36.99
SuSE (Pro): $64.99

Red Hat (Home): $34.99

Considering that you can also get Linux distros from outfits like Edmunds Enterprises for $0.99. Or go to Linux Central (no distro over $12.00, and most under $10.00, I'd say $50.00 is somewhat high for an OS. Furthermore, Linux (even if you buy them) is a helluva lot less than His Gatesness' lowest priced offering.    

So I ask again: WTF is His Gatesness talking about here?   :confused:

His Gatesness:

quote:

If you want a thin client, we have that with Windows terminal server, and Longhorn will have terminal server capabilities so that you can project out the Longhorn richness onto thin clients.

X has had that capability from the get-go  :rolleyes:  Such an innovative company.  

"There: now you'll never have to look at those dirty Windows anymore"
      --Daffy Duck

[ October 31, 2003: Message edited by: jtpenrod ]

Live Free or Die: Linux
If software can be free, why can't dolphins?

Enmity

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: 31 October 2003, 12:22 »
Gates considers 2gigs as thin, so no problem.
TCPA
DMCA
RIAA
LONGHORN

Mix'them together... What do you get?

A BIG FUCKING PILE OF STEAMING SHIT!!!

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #3 on: 31 October 2003, 22:56 »
They're trying to integrate everything, so every application is actually a part of Longhorn.

It wil fail, just the way of "their" idea to build a GUI on top of DOS. It was a good idea, but they screwed it up.

solarismka

« Reply #4 on: 1 November 2003, 07:36 »
agreed!

With everything intergrated.  A virous that used to infect all your system files, will now infect EVERY part of your system.

In other words.  For every infection, you might as well go out and get a whole new PC and start over from scratch.

I can see a lot of longwhore machines pilling up in the weekly trash!
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

Commander

• Kudos: 52
« Reply #5 on: 1 November 2003, 23:42 »
quote:
Originally posted by -=Solaris.M.K.A=-:
I can see a lot of longwhore machines pilling up in the weekly trash!
i need to find the junkyard fast......  if u r right (which u r), free boxes awaits me!!  :D
Ballmer needs a firm kick in the ass.... (since he has no balls)

solarismka

« Reply #6 on: 2 November 2003, 06:25 »
I never thought of it that way, cool I could use a good coffie table.    :D
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

black crow

« Reply #7 on: 4 November 2003, 19:23 »
I'm sure those Longhorn crapboxes could still be useful - as boat anchors  :D  

yet another ugly product from M$ aka Bastards Inc.

- black crow
I really hate this damn machine
I'm thinking I should sell it
It never does what I want it to
It just does what I tell it.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #8 on: 1 December 2003, 06:42 »
quote:
If you want a thin client, we have that with Windows terminal server, and Longhorn will have terminal server capabilities so that you can project out the Longhorn richness onto thin clients.

If I ever agreed with anything Bill ever said, this is it.  :eek:

However, given MS's track record, this is probably either exaggerated, or it won't work correctly.  :(

Plus, of course, as jtpenrod said, Linux was built on exactly this.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

LukeHashJ

« Reply #9 on: 3 December 2003, 02:12 »
From a programmer's standpoint, I have a few things to say.

Think about it logically, if one program crashes, it won't actually -crash- the other program. Say program A (we'll pretend its IE) calls to program B (we'll pretend its Outlook Express) to get the addresses in your address book, and then IE crashes due to some problem in the code, it won't crash Outlook, because outlook is not dependent on Internet Explorer. On the other hand, if Outlook were to crash while Internet Explorer was calling for the address book, Internet Explorer would simply return an Error. They aren't stupid.

It's a simple thing to code, really, and I promise they can manage.

try { this } catch (exception e) {and do this}

If microsoft really wanted to make serious cash flow, not only would they develop a new Office dependent upon their new operating system, but continue to innovate and update their XP and previous versions, so those who feel comfortable with their older operating systems can continue to buy microsoft products and be happy. Microsoft is happy, the consumer is happy. Any problems?

Also, people don't -have- to buy the new windows. They don't -have- to buy microsoft office. There are plenty of free alternatives out there, such as StarOffice, which I personally use. Also, why would someone go out of their way to buy the MSOffice dependent on Longhorn, when they already have OfficeXP? It just makes no sense, and it won't happen. There is no "forcing" of buying products here.

As far as the cost of the OS goes, i think that's just a bunch of horseshit. We all know it will end up in the 100$ + range. Let's not play stupid and follow Mr. Sheepherder Bill =P

jasonlane

• http://www.root10.net
« Reply #10 on: 3 December 2003, 03:39 »
WORDS I WISH BILL WOULD STOP USING:

Innovate
Innovative
Innovation
Innovations
Standards
Web Services
Breakthrough
Advances
Productivity
Security
Simplify
Compatible
OS
Operating
System

Why shouldn't he use these words????

Because he hasn't earnt the fucking right, that's why.
The MES Anti-Prude Force
"I don

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #11 on: 3 December 2003, 04:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zardoz:
WORDS I WISH BILL WOULD STOP USING:

Innovate
Innovative
Innovation
Innovations
Standards
Web Services
Breakthrough
Advances
Productivity
Security
Simplify
Compatible
OS
Operating
System

Why shouldn't he use these words????

Because he hasn't earnt the fucking right, that's why.

you forgot some:
competition
compete