Author Topic: Why Windows is Slow  (Read 2096 times)

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
Re: Why Windows is Slow
« Reply #15 on: 14 April 2006, 20:49 »
I tried it on FC5 on my laptop ... it's like driving a McLaren F1 into brick wall. Tons of fatal errors ... ending in "Failed to load X-Server"

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #16 on: 15 April 2006, 02:19 »
Quote from: inane
I'm not aware of a single distro that uses it right now...
Foresight's the only distro I know of that uses it. I like what the Foresight guys are doing (conary for software management, all the latest GNOME stuff, brilliant mono programs beagle and f-spot, hal and avahi... Damn I really must get using it (even though I tend not to like newbie-stuff)).
Is that related to the projects to use makefiles for the init procedures? I read about those... lightning fast.
Hm, makefiles, that sounds like a cool idea. initng doesn't use makefiles, here's a sample config file for starting/stopping samba:
Code: [Select]
service daemon/samba/smbd {
        need = system/initial system/mountroot virtual/networking
        daemon = /usr/sbin/smbd
        daemon_args = -F
}
service daemon/samba/nmbd {
        need = system/initial system/mountroot virtual/networking
        daemon = /usr/sbin/nmbd
        daemon_args = -F
}

service daemon/samba {
        also_stop = daemon/samba/smbd daemon/samba/nmbd
        need = daemon/samba/smbd daemon/samba/nmbd
}
Using makefiles would be cool. Mightn't make it faster (they're the same kinda idea), but it'd be cool.
Have you used it PiratePenguin?
Yup.
I don't think boot-speed is all that important. But any GNU/Linux user that does can just optimize their init scripts or use initng (I use initng myself. I just decided to try it and now I couldn't be fucked changing it (nothing wrong with the way it is). It boots in about the same time as the usual sysvinit (six seconds when I last compared (which was before I had much stuff starting at boot)) because I start so little stuff at boot.
Still using it. Version 0.3.3. They're up to 0.6.0 now so I'll install that, set it up to start apache, mysql and everything else I want (something I intended on doing around now anyhow) and then try the same stuff with the old init (which I kept), and report back.
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
I tried it on FC5 on my laptop ... it's like driving a McLaren F1 into brick wall. Tons of fatal errors ... ending in "Failed to load X-Server"
I'm not too surprised. You'd need to configure the thing... Like the file they distribute for starting xdm (the X display manager) loads it from /usr/bin/xdm, xdm could be in /usr/X11R6/bin/ on your system.

I also noticed just starting to compile the new version you can configure it to have/not to have SELinux support.
Quote from: Jack2000
Is it  compatible with Ubuntu?
Sure. You might need to do some manual configuring though. They've got a page about installing on Debian/Ubuntu. Doesn't look increadibly reliable, but it's a starting place.
« Last Edit: 15 April 2006, 02:29 by piratePenguin »
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #17 on: 15 April 2006, 13:20 »
Feckit I couldn't be arsed telling it how to start apache and friends so I get lodsa warnings at boot up. The kernel takes about 5 seconds to boot and then after another 5 or so KDM starts loading up and takes about 15 seconds to finish.

Beats waiting 10 seconds for KDM to start loading up...

KDM is a slow bastard... Must start using XDM.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.