Author Topic: Apple's Boot Camp beta  (Read 4493 times)

Xeniczone

• Kudos: 0
Re: Apple's Boot Camp beta
« Reply #15 on: 14 April 2006, 16:00 »
yeh why is that a big deal they have alway been able to run linux. There is even a free linux made by apple called darwin.

other then the little hardware support. it would be easy to run mac on a windows based pc.

Macs don't use the standard PC BIOS,

DUHHHHHHH...... wTF do you think this program boot camp does.

If I had the least version of mac os (sadly i don't i was waiting for the intel powermacs) I would use this program just to prove it is real.

Dark_Me

• Kudos: 314
« Reply #16 on: 14 April 2006, 16:27 »
Apprently there is a way to use Boot Camp to make OS X boot on vanilla PC's. But I have no idea how.
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
If your a selfish, self-centred prick, who is willing to leave half the world in poverty, then yes.
-Kintaro

Jack2000

« Reply #17 on: 14 April 2006, 19:59 »
i have always perseved macs
as an evil !
you know like... macs are not so different then the other computers
but they yap all about how they are better then Ms
and still end up doing the same thing not allowing people to run what
they want on their PC
i do not know how they do it / or why for that matter
but it is like "Catch the thief said the thief!"

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #18 on: 14 April 2006, 21:59 »
Quote from: Jack2000
i have always perseved macs
as an evil !
you know like... macs are not so different then the other computers
but they yap all about how they are better then Ms
and still end up doing the same thing not allowing people to run what
they want on their PC
i do not know how they do it / or why for that matter
but it is like "Catch the thief said the thief!"
You can run GNU/Linux and other OSes on Macs. Just can't run OS X on non-Macs (without a bit of hacking), which does indeed suck.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #19 on: 15 April 2006, 02:43 »
It's also worth mentioning that Darwin is BSD, not Linux.  Different licensing structure.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Siplus

• Kudos: 43
    • http://www.siplus.org
« Reply #20 on: 23 April 2006, 16:45 »
Got a question...

Will Boot Camp run on my powerbook? Not to install windows, but to install ppc-linux. If not Boot Camp, than is there a simple program to repartition my HDD so that I can get a dualboot of os x and ppc-linux?

http://www.siplus.org

"Your computer is already fucked up by having Windows
on it, you can only unfuck it up by installing Linux."
-- void main (old school MES member)

Desktop: Athlon 2600/ 768mb DDR266
--Running: Ubuntu 5.10, FC4, Win2k
 (Also, Unbuntu 6-06:5, 5.04; Fedora Core 5, WinXP, but none of these are used much)
12" Powerbook: 1.5 Ghz G4 PowerPC / 1.25 GB DDR333
--Running: Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #21 on: 23 April 2006, 20:46 »
Quote from: Siplus
Got a question...

Will Boot Camp run on my powerbook? Not to install windows, but to install ppc-linux. If not Boot Camp, than is there a simple program to repartition my HDD so that I can get a dualboot of os x and ppc-linux?
GNU parted can shrink HFS/HFS+ but I don't think it works on OS X. It works on FreeBSD though (which is supposed to be similar).

GNU/Linux distribution installers like Ubuntu's use parted, I think, to partition the drive, so when installing them they should be able to resize your HFS/HFS+ partition.

BTW what PPC distro are you gonna use? I've heard YellowDog[/ul] is good. I'd expect Debian, Ubuntu and Gentoo to also be good.

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

inane

• Kudos: 233
    • http://www.myblogspace.net/inaneframe
« Reply #22 on: 23 April 2006, 22:00 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
And that won't happen.

It won't happen if you keep saying that.

inane

• Kudos: 233
    • http://www.myblogspace.net/inaneframe
« Reply #23 on: 23 April 2006, 22:02 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
I'd expect Debian, Ubuntu and Gentoo to also be good.

The Ubuntu PPC Distro is better than Yellowdog in my experience.

Siplus

• Kudos: 43
    • http://www.siplus.org
« Reply #24 on: 24 April 2006, 04:17 »
I'll have to read up on which ones support apple's airport wifi before i choose which one to install on here. I tried a 5.10 ppc-ubuntu live cd on this and the wireless didn't work, but i always have trouble with live cds and wireless connectivity

http://www.siplus.org

"Your computer is already fucked up by having Windows
on it, you can only unfuck it up by installing Linux."
-- void main (old school MES member)

Desktop: Athlon 2600/ 768mb DDR266
--Running: Ubuntu 5.10, FC4, Win2k
 (Also, Unbuntu 6-06:5, 5.04; Fedora Core 5, WinXP, but none of these are used much)
12" Powerbook: 1.5 Ghz G4 PowerPC / 1.25 GB DDR333
--Running: Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #25 on: 24 April 2006, 04:52 »
The Airport Extreme Wifi in your (and mine) Powerbook is unsupported by Linux period.  It's a Broadcom chipset, and will probably never work in Linux.  You'll have to get a USB wireless adapter if you want wireless PPC Linux on that thing.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #26 on: 24 April 2006, 10:52 »
Hardware, no matter how good it would otherwise be, without published, available specifications and other information for software developers, makes me cry.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #27 on: 24 April 2006, 11:32 »
Whic is why some would consider closed source hardware to be evil. ;)
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #28 on: 24 April 2006, 22:27 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
Whic is why some would consider closed source hardware to be evil. ;)
Not because it makes me cry, but because of why it makes me cry.

File formats without good, publically available specifications also makes me cry for much the same reason (Microsoft, Macromedia - FUCK YOU. Macromedia as much as MS (in this area. Altogether MS is more evil with the DRM and other copy protection shit), because SWF files are all over the otherwise mostly-ordered world wide web (THANK YOU w3c, mozilla, opera, konqueror, and other good people). And the license on the latest SWF spec's make them useless to writers of 3rd-party SWF interpreters.).

Maybe I should've said it makes me want to SCREAM instead of cry.....

I officially don't want a Mac anymore BTW. In the future I will be trying hard to buy hardware whose developers have released enough documentation, and that'll probably mean choosing every piece of hardware myself, something I can't do with Macs.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #29 on: 25 April 2006, 00:32 »
I agree, this is the main problem with proprietay software and closed sourced hardware. I don't think either are evil I just believe it's immoral to keep specfications secret and to this end any doing so is evil - I don't have a problem with someone making a closed source app and then making the file formats public.

I'm sure I've said this before but I can understand why some developers don't use the GPL because it them the right to keep interlectual property and to force people to pay for using their software but I think something needs to be done to force them to release some informatin regarding formats.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu: