Author Topic: Linux 4 newbies  (Read 7243 times)

yahurd

• Kudos: 384
  • Hero of Time
    • http://www.yahurd.my-place.us/
Re: Linux 4 newbies
« Reply #45 on: 3 February 2007, 04:09 »

i just thought i would mention that i thought mepis stank, not trying to pick a fight but somebody said it was great for a newbie, i think that's entirely incorrect. all i am saying is that taking recommendations is fine, but you will want to try some out before you make any serious decision, because it really is all a matter of opinion. if there isn't an answer now to "what's the best distro" then there never will be.

i second,third and throw my mepis discs out the window that statement

Whatever man, some Linux distros are actually much easier to administer than any Window$ piece of shit.

they all are, thats where windows is the opposite of "paperclip-easy" its "completely fucking-piece-of-shit hard to administrate" given the os is a complete fucking piece of shit, i must admit, it fits

Unless you're one of those Gentoo junkies...

HAHAHAHALOL!!!!!!111!!!111 My syst3m 1s .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000018 s3ks faster cuz 1 d0z t2h gentooz!!!!LOL!O!!!O!l!O!L!O

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #46 on: 3 February 2007, 13:41 »
Quote from: superken76
i'm a reformed winaholic i just switched to freespire and i'll not switch back if my life depends on it. ps.i've been reading posts here a long time
Cool. Good to see OSes like Freespire which only seem to get critism around here making people happy, heh.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #47 on: 3 February 2007, 15:07 »
I've never heard of it. I've heard of Linspire though which does recieve a lot of criticism around here; is Freespire a community driven fork of it?
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

superken76

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #48 on: 3 February 2007, 18:12 »
i dont know all the tech talk ,it is my understanding it is built off linspire with the additation of CNR wich helps newbies like myself in the loading process allthough in the future i would like to learn how to load programs correctly as i feel i'm missing out on alot of software . thanks again for these boards .           I've been clean for 4 days

Superken76

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: 3 February 2007, 18:59 »
Quote from: superken76
in the future i would like to learn how to load programs correctly as i feel i'm missing out on alot of software

I concur, isntalling software on Linux isn't the most user friendly process.

What software would you like to install/update and we might be able to help you?
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

superken76

« Reply #50 on: 3 February 2007, 23:02 »
Well i figured pain out ok as far as resizeing an image.it feels good to have a face to go with my name

Superken76

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #51 on: 5 February 2007, 14:45 »
hey! welcome to the dark side! i'd be interested in whatever you think about freespire, since it's not so common a choice of linux distro, so keep posting here, superken. You might like to ask at voidmain.is-a-geek.net/forums and maybe even linuxquestions.org as well, if you have administration questions about linux. both sites are good, in my experience.

by the way, interesting choice of avatar, it wouldn't be my favourite morpheus drawing though. which issue is it from/what artist?
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

yahurd

• Hero of Time
« Reply #52 on: 6 February 2007, 23:47 »
im posting this from linux mint, its GREAT!!!! better than ubuntu!!!!

yahurd

• Hero of Time
« Reply #53 on: 7 February 2007, 00:05 »
blacklist lg3d while youre at it

GenuineAdvantage

• Kudos: 449
« Reply #54 on: 7 February 2007, 11:50 »
Wait a sec, isn't linux mint actually ubuntu (with non-free stuff et al)? I should give freespire a try sometime, thanks for the mention.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: 7 February 2007, 23:12 »
While we're balcklisting distros, may I please add SUSE to the list for obvious reasons.

yahurd

• Hero of Time
« Reply #56 on: 7 February 2007, 23:14 »

While we're balcklisting distros, may I please add SUSE to the list for obvious reasons.

here i thought we were blacklisting them!

add debian to the good list too!

solemnwarning

• Kudos: 338
    • http://www.solemnwarning.net
« Reply #57 on: 7 February 2007, 23:52 »
Quote from: yahurd
add debian to the good list too!

Did you just blacklist Debian?! :mad:

/me summons a minigun and points it at yahurd
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
 Version: 3.1
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-
 ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #58 on: 8 February 2007, 07:47 »
Quote from: solemnwarning
Did you just blacklist Debian?! :mad:

/me summons a minigun and points it at yahurd

Easy, easy... I'm sure he meant the whitelist...

/me covertly draws his Uzi

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

superken76

« Reply #59 on: 8 February 2007, 12:56 »
Well freespire has going well for me so far i thought it was a little slow,come to find out my son swipped ram from my machine ,its back up to par now and all is well. Use the force Luke