Author Topic: why do i update?  (Read 908 times)

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
why do i update?
« on: 4 August 2003, 22:13 »
So i use XP at work, and i get all these security updates.  I'm sure yall have seen them: "This update fixes a security flaw which could allow a remote user to take control of your system" or some such shit.  And i go ahead and install them, because it aint my computer and it aint my data.

My first inclination as a paranoid conspiracy theorist is that MS is only sending out new usage tracking modules, like they suddenly decided that they needed to know just how often i doubleclick on My Computer or something.  I heard that the mouse driver actually uses the internet connection for something, which is ridiculous.

But is it legit?  Is there really some deranged cracker out there who is going to use some security hole in MediaPlayer9 to steal ASCII data files from my computer?  And can he really do this if i skip one of those damn updates?

Calling all crackerz: fess up.  Do you want my data?  Do security updates impede you?  Be honest, I won't call the cops.

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
why do i update?
« Reply #1 on: 4 August 2003, 23:17 »
Updates do help (installing more Microsoft spyware   )

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
why do i update?
« Reply #2 on: 5 August 2003, 01:00 »
Many updates are responses to serious security holes.  Many (most?) of these holes are found by independent people or companies.  

However, MS has blatently used security patches to introduce DRM and modifiy your licence agreements in favor of MS.  The most notable that I can think of was the stupid Media Player update of a year ago and the win2k sp2 which both made you agree to let MS make automatic "updates" and install automatic DRM components to your box.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....