Author Topic: Xorg, refresh rates, modelines  (Read 2536 times)

solemnwarning

• Kudos: 338
    • http://www.solemnwarning.net
Re: Xorg, refresh rates, modelines
« Reply #15 on: 28 April 2006, 09:39 »
Quote from: GenuineAdvantage
Yea... I've read more on it and eventhough it can go up to 120,  only up to 85Hz is on the manufacturer's specs. I already had  the sync ranges down, so maybe X server follows standards, and maybe the driver on windows likes to cook monitors. Both OSes detected the name of the monitor. But either way screw it, I set VertRefresh to plain 60 and see no big difference even running at 1280x960. Like this, emulators run smoothly at 60Hz in any resolution and simple 2d scrolling in OpenGL vsyncs properly. I could always switch it back if it bothers me. I just wish these resolution/refreshrate changes were handled better by X, like windows does it. I hope one day X can do it. Yet I don't think it's been developed that way so far because not many need *nix to do that. Oh well.

btw, one more thing/question. I admit I use the gdm logon screen. Is there a way to make it so this, the whole thing starts up at a desired desktop resolution/rate. It's a little annoying to start up at the highest resolution and have it switch to yours everytime you log in.

Fix your xserver config and use a better dm (xdm) :P
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
 Version: 3.1
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-
 ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------