Author Topic: Screw Microsoft Day  (Read 3585 times)

_kill__bill

• VIP
  • Kudos: 355
Screw Microsoft Day
« on: 25 April 2006, 20:12 »
Here's an idea:

Make one day a year "Screw Microsoft Day", where all participants use absolutely no ms products. Nothing, hardware, software or vaporware. No Windows, no XBox, not even Office:mac.

Now, a lot of us don't use it anyways, but this is a good way to spread the message. And it does apply to other computers. If it has to be in windows (say, a shared workstation), don't use it.

You can also do stuff like distribute Linux CDs, Mac, er, somethings, and other stuff. Get friends, family, coworkers, and that creepy bus driver in on it too. The more the merrier!

start an angry mob, storm redmond, release a virus, mehehehehe

As for the date, I figured November 20th, the day Windows 1.0 was released.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_1.0)

Any other ideas? It's early, but I wanted to get the news out before I forgot.
Long Live the Revolution!

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
Re: Screw Microsoft Day
« Reply #1 on: 25 April 2006, 21:57 »
No M$ day is every day for me ... well almost every day (only possible exception is using school computers, which I have to do sometimes)

Jack2000

« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2006, 18:08 »
Kubuntu?

Annorax

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 457
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2006, 18:48 »
Start it the day Vista releases, and start a campaign wherein forum members and other anti-MS people stand outside stores selling Vista and hand out Ubuntu CDs.

After that, Nov 20 works.
Quote from: "bash.org"
<3M> ok guys i've finally got my windows me machine up and running again :D
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....
<3M> who is general failure and why is he reading my hard disc :(
somehow, "i told you so" doesn't quite say it ;)

noob

• Kudos: 74
« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2006, 18:57 »
As long as it is after I finish college, as I have no choice there. I finish in 4 weeks :).

I may have to use my Handheld PC though. It will be running Linux so hopfully that will reduce the flaming i get :D.
Windows XP Service Pack 2. Because we couldn't be arsed the first time.

Windows 98 Second Edition. Look, now you don't need that bloody CD to install new hardware.

Windows Vista. Even your computer knows you have a small penis.

Windows Blackcomb. We are planning the OS after Vista, which is allready a year late.

Windows ME, the Marmite Operating System.

XP Mobile. Take your errors with you.

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #5 on: 26 April 2006, 20:13 »
Flaming ... from whom ? The customers ? If they don't want it, let them buy Vi$ta ... they'll get what they deserve.

I personally don't think it's my duty to switch people to Linux ... just to show them that are alternatives. ([size=-1]I can only show you the door. You're the the one that has to walk through it. ~ [/size][size=-1]Morpheus)[/size]

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #6 on: 26 April 2006, 21:41 »
Quote from: Annorax
Start it the day Vista releases, and start a campaign wherein forum members and other anti-MS people stand outside stores selling Vista and hand out Ubuntu CDs.
Brilliant idea. We could give out OOo, FF, and other free programs on a CD too (note: Opera isn't free. You'd need permission from the Opera guys to redistribute their software). I think those are already on Ubuntu CDs, or will be in 6.06. Stick an Ubuntu CD into a Windows computer and the autorun thing will give you a list of free software you can install.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #7 on: 27 April 2006, 05:44 »
That's almost doable for me (so long as it's on a weekend, my job forces me to use MS stuff), except for one thing.

My MS Natural keyboard.  

I've had this thing since 1996, and it's the best keyboard I've owned.  I have hand problems.  I'm not going to buy another ergo keyboard for one day and I'm not going to increase my arm pain to not use MS hardware.

I don't like MS but I'll draw the line at not using my ten year old keyboard.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #8 on: 27 April 2006, 06:49 »
Do you use QWERTY or dvorak, or something else ? ... if QWERTY, it may be contributing to your hand problems while typing. QWERTY is definitely NOT designed to be comfortable to use at all ... maybe even the contrary. I remember my hands used to hurt after typing really long papers while using QWERTY ... dvorak is a whole lot better, it's actually designed to be comfortable in the layout (as opposed to ergo) ... of course the down side is that pretty much every keyboard everywhere is QWERTY ... well, you can't have it all.

Annorax

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 457
« Reply #9 on: 27 April 2006, 12:59 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
Brilliant idea. We could give out OOo, FF, and other free programs on a CD too (note: Opera isn't free. You'd need permission from the Opera guys to redistribute their software). I think those are already on Ubuntu CDs, or will be in 6.06. Stick an Ubuntu CD into a Windows computer and the autorun thing will give you a list of free software you can install.

OOo and Firefox were included in Ubuntu as of Hoary (5.04 i think). I doubt we'd get permission to redistribute Opera, and even if we did, they'd never allow Ubuntu to preinstall it or make it available through repositories. I'm not seeing a problem, though, as the majority of the Windows users we'd be converting already are familiar with, if not comfortable with, Firefox.

The real question here is would Canonical support us with the mass quantities of CDs needed to pull this off?
Quote from: "bash.org"
<3M> ok guys i've finally got my windows me machine up and running again :D
if everything seems to be running well on windows me you've obviously overlooked something....
<3M> who is general failure and why is he reading my hard disc :(
somehow, "i told you so" doesn't quite say it ;)

noob

• Kudos: 74
« Reply #10 on: 27 April 2006, 15:05 »
i meant flaming from you lot on here for using an M$ device.
Windows XP Service Pack 2. Because we couldn't be arsed the first time.

Windows 98 Second Edition. Look, now you don't need that bloody CD to install new hardware.

Windows Vista. Even your computer knows you have a small penis.

Windows Blackcomb. We are planning the OS after Vista, which is allready a year late.

Windows ME, the Marmite Operating System.

XP Mobile. Take your errors with you.

Dark_Me

• Kudos: 314
« Reply #11 on: 27 April 2006, 17:11 »
The real question here is would Canonical support us with the mass quantities of CDs needed to pull this off?
Theres only one way to find out...
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
If your a selfish, self-centred prick, who is willing to leave half the world in poverty, then yes.
-Kintaro

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #12 on: 27 April 2006, 19:29 »
If it's happening the day Vista releases then Ubuntu Edgy Eft should be out (scheduled for October IIRC), and maybe even the release (or a few releases if things keep going the way they're going) after that.

(BTW, the next release of Ubuntu will be 6.06 (can't think of the codename ATM) and will be out in June. After that it'll be Edgy Eft, which the main guy (Mark Shuttleworth I think his name is) has said he's not placing any restrictions on what goes in it. There'll be some experimental stuff like Xgl (the X server built on OpenGL, or something. Well, it can do some pretty cool wobbly window effects and stuff anyhow.) and virtualisation (or at least, there might/can be, if they bother, which they probably will), maybe that stuff will be option though.).

And er, does it have to be Ubuntu? I suppose it does actually, seeing as if we want CDs en masse we could get them off cannonical. SuSE (only OpenSuSE?) might be another option (could ask Novell), and it's supposed to be good too.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

H_TeXMeX_H

« Reply #13 on: 27 April 2006, 22:58 »
Quote from: piratePenguin

And er, does it have to be Ubuntu?

That's why I started the post Linux for newbies (n00bs) ... I don't particularly like Ubuntu, but whatever distro you choose it must be (very) user-friendly ... and it should probably be a live CD, just in case people have problems installing to HDD or dual-booting ... I've had both of these problems, so they are not uncommon.

inane

• Kudos: 233
    • http://www.myblogspace.net/inaneframe
« Reply #14 on: 28 April 2006, 06:36 »
OOo and Firefox were included in Ubuntu as of Hoary (5.04 i think)The real question here is would Canonical support us with the mass quantities of CDs needed to pull this off?

Forget that let's publicize this FIRST!!!! HERE WE GO!!!!