Author Topic: Javascript to help IE users browsing your site.  (Read 5309 times)

solemnwarning

• Kudos: 338
    • http://www.solemnwarning.net
Re: Javascript to help IE users browsing your site.
« Reply #45 on: 15 May 2006, 08:30 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
If only you could install Konqueror without KDE :(

Why not just install KDE?

KDE > * ;)
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
 Version: 3.1
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-
 ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #46 on: 16 May 2006, 06:24 »
KDE is not my favorite window manager ... I find it slow, illogically laid out, and slow to start ... the programs made for it are often pretty nice though

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #47 on: 16 May 2006, 11:14 »
So why not run KDE programs in XFCE if you feel that way?

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #48 on: 16 May 2006, 19:04 »
Yeah, that's pretty much the only thing I can do, but you still need kde base. They should make a self-contained version, maybe then it could stand a chance of competing with FF and Opera. Or is that not what they want ?

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #49 on: 17 May 2006, 23:27 »
Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H
Yeah, that's pretty much the only thing I can do, but you still need kde base. They should make a self-contained version, maybe then it could stand a chance of competing with FF and Opera. Or is that not what they want ?
I don't think it has much of a chance against FF or Opera unless someone divises a genius plan to make it run on Windows and Mac OS X etc.

Web-browser that are tied to one enviornment (Konq, Safari) SUCK. There might be a market for a free (as in freedom), portable, decent web-browser built around KHTML and not using the unportable (AFAIK) KDE libs.

It would be cooler actually if the KDE guys decided to make the libs portable - like GTK+, glib and some of the GNOME stuff.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #50 on: 21 May 2006, 18:03 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
Where exactly does he "bollock on a bit" ?

I just don't like his writing style, but this is irrelevant for the purposes of this discussion.

Well if you agree that for MOST software the developers could produce an income without being pissed off when I copy their software (game) for a friend, then that's a step up.

I neither agree nor disagree, it just hasn't been proven, alright some developers can earn an income from free software but that doesn't mean evaryone can. I often think that some people are only making so much money from free software because they also develop non-free software that complements their free stuff, just look at Sun for example, I bet they wouldn't be able to sell so many copies of Star Office if they didn't have OpenOffice.org.

RE: game developers. If a revamp of copyright meant people can copy anything they want, always, - gamers would still need good games as much as they always have.  If the developers need money, then someone will have to GIVE it to them. The gamers. If the gamers want good games, they gotta donate to the developers. Otherwise they just probably won't get them.

So you're talking about donorware, yes there is some of that about though I would hardly base a whole insudtry on it, there are also some good fangames about and there's the free games that come with Linux. I don't play many games myself though I think my brother would be pissed off if he

Same goes for movies and everything else.

And that's my point entirely, games, films and music are totally different to software.

IMO, if someone depends on an IDEA they had, maybe ten years ago, for income, that's just not good enough. If you have a brilliant idea, say you find a method to produce free energy, I don't think anyone should be obliged to give you money to use it. Anyone should be able to use that method all they want - people in poverty in Africa, should be allowd to use it to dig holes for wells etc.

But one the same line of thought, I wouldn't be very happy if I invested billions in the development of a gadget and another company comes a long and manages to produce it cheaper because they don't have any development costs + they get they use child labor in China.

A friend of mine had a cool idea to put breathilizers in cars, so if you're over the alcolol limit it won't let you drive. To think the law would allow him to become the "owner" of it for so long and only him and other people he decides on can use it to save a few lifes - bullshit.

I know this isn't the point here but no one would want it, it's kind of a nanny sate issue.

I see your point though, but drug companies pattent medicines all the time and they sell them very cheeply to developing countries (often at a loss), they only get their money back by making them more expensive for the developed world. Normally medicines are only so expensive because companies invest so much in developing them (it costs more to develop a new drug than it does to send a rocket into space), if pattents were abolished then they wouldn't invest so much in developing new drugs as they won't have any guarantee they'll be able to get their money back.

One thing I do like about patents is that all the copy-protection SHIT is being patented, and thus noone can use this SHIT without paying/asking/whatever.

The only thig I don't like about copy protection is it removes your rights of fair use which I think should become more defined as far as the law is concerned, and this is exactly what I was talking about here (not that that many people actually gave a fuck). Perhapps if the copy protection crap could even remain legal just as long as you can exchange damaged media for a new copy providing they don't charge any more than is reasonable for distributing it.

There are people that can't AFFORD to pay into a cinema (cinema's are a complete rip-off IMO, at least here they are).

This interests me a lot, my parents often say how expensive the cinema is nowadays but I don't knoe if I agree since they're not taking decimalisation or average earnings into account.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu: