Author Topic: Interesting...Windows security flaws < UNIX's?  (Read 2338 times)

toadlife

• Kudos: 376
    • http://toadlife.net
Re: Interesting...Windows security flaws < UNIX's?
« Reply #15 on: 16 May 2006, 09:22 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
You mean "(Windows Server 2003 or Windows XP Professional x64 Edition) and IIS6", seeing as that's all II6 runs on.

Either/or. WinXP x64 is actually just Win2k3 x64 with the Luna theme pasted onto it. Look up the vulnerability history of IIS6 and you'll find that in the three years since it has been released there have been all of two discovered, and both of them would not be exploitable in a default installation, much less a hardened installation. In that same time frame there have been somewhere along the lines of 25 vulnerabilities discovered for Apache 1.x and 2.x.

Now, if the daemons were running were Windows File and Printer Sharing" (SMB) vs NFS/CUPS, I might have to put my money on linux.
:)

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #16 on: 17 May 2006, 23:30 »
Quote from: toadlife
Either/or. WinXP x64 is actually just Win2k3 x64 with the Luna theme pasted onto it. Look up the vulnerability history of IIS6 and you'll find that in the three years since it has been released there have been all of two discovered, and both of them would not be exploitable in a default installation, much less a hardened installation. In that same time frame there have been somewhere along the lines of 25 vulnerabilities discovered for Apache 1.x and 2.x.

Now, if the daemons were running were Windows File and Printer Sharing" (SMB) vs NFS/CUPS, I might have to put my money on linux.
Apache mightn't be perfectly safe over a long period of time if you're not alowd to update. But if you could install updates, I'm sure it'd be just fine.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #17 on: 21 May 2006, 18:02 »
all statistics are lies.

the people who make decisions based on statistics should realise that they *must* understand how the data was collected, how it is totalled and what has been left out before they can even begin to understand what's going on.

to the uninformed, statistics (including all those TCO ones) can be made to show anything, literally.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #18 on: 21 May 2006, 18:09 »
Quote from: Calum
all statistics are lies.
Only 73% of them are.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #19 on: 21 May 2006, 18:10 »
The thing that bothers me is UNIX is a whole familly of operating systems and Windows is just one (sorry 2 if you count the 9x shit). Of course if you add up the vulnerabilities for all varieties of Linux and BSD + Solaris + (all the other UNIX clones) you'll get more than Windows XP + 2k + 2003 + (even I dare say 9x), it's just fucking obvious, damn there're some idiots around. :rolleyes:
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu: