Author Topic: Speeding up FireFox and Mozilla  (Read 2831 times)

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
Re: Speeding up FireFox and Mozilla
« Reply #15 on: 13 May 2006, 09:21 »
Quote from: davidnix71
I've unzipped the xpi files and edited the version number, but I couldn't figure out how to rezip the file so Firefox would accept it as an extension. I have WinZip in Virtual PC and 7-zip. Could someone explain how to rezip the folder into an xpi after editing?

Okay, this is where it gets a bit tricky.  It might've been a better idea to extract the XPI contents to a new folder, but we'll go with what you have.  Locate the freshly unzipped files, change the version number in the XML file, then right-click and create a new compressed folder (or use 7-zip to create a new archive, file-roller is suitable for the task on Linux).  Just drag-and-drop the files to the new archive.  When you're done, save the archive, then rename it from .zip to .xpi and it should be good to go.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #16 on: 13 May 2006, 12:42 »
Have you had much luck doing this in the past Orethrius?

I can imagine it working for some simpler extensions, but I'd be surprised if it worked for the more advanced ones.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #17 on: 13 May 2006, 18:05 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
Have you had much luck doing this in the past Orethrius?

I can imagine it working for some simpler extensions, but I'd be surprised if it worked for the more advanced ones.
Actually, I've had it work for Adblock, NoScript, GreaseMonkey, Fasterfox, and FireSomething for those durations when no recent counterpart was available.  If the extensions in question were to use more than the core subset of XML functionalities, then yes I could maybe see them not working.  ;)
« Last Edit: 13 May 2006, 18:06 by Orethrius »

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #18 on: 15 May 2006, 06:24 »
Fasterfox makes FF much faster on all of my computers ... I recommend it

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #19 on: 18 May 2006, 15:52 »
HTTP pipelining, implemented by FF (and AFAIK no other browser) is supposed to speed up page download performance. Apparantly it's made a big difference for some people but I haven't really noticed it here in school.

EDIT: some of the other tips here may also help.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #20 on: 18 May 2006, 19:32 »
And some more possibly useful tweaks (not necessarily speed)

http://ha.ckers.org/firefox_improvements.html

(don't worry this one won't crash your computer if you run IE) :)

• VIP
  • Kudos: 223
« Reply #21 on: 6 June 2006, 21:57 »
I think that IPv4 should become the default in Firefox until more websites support IPv6.