Miscellaneous > Technical Support

List CD write speeds or burning a CD properly

(1/5) > >>

H_TeXMeX_H:
I've had lots of trouble burning CDs properly (mostly CD-Rs using cdrecord). Is there a way to list the possible supported speeds for a particular drive ? It seems I may have been trying to burn at way over the supported speed. The CDs come out seemingly ok, but upon inspection by md5sum they are either corrupt or I get input/output error (again corrupt).

mobrien_12:

--- Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H ---I've had lots of trouble burning CDs properly (mostly CD-Rs using cdrecord). Is there a way to list the possible supported speeds for a particular drive ? It seems I may have been trying to burn at way over the supported speed. The CDs come out seemingly ok, but upon inspection by md5sum they are either corrupt or I get input/output error (again corrupt).
--- End quote ---

Isn't it written on the drive?  Usually the drive has 3 numbers like 40x/12x/48x.  The first is the burn speed.  The second is the speed in packet writing mode (if you use a cdrw like a big floppy disk instead of an erasable cdr), the third is the read speed.  If it's not written on the drive, you can get the model number easily enough of your linux boot sequence or  bios messages and look it up on the web.  

You can get corrupted media if you try to burn media faster than its rated speed.  It's a simple thing, but did you check the CD blanks?

But one thing to remember... burns are more reliable if you slow them down, no matter how fast a drive you have.

WMD:
Try using k3b (seriously, it's good).  When you go to record, there's a drop-down box for speeds, and right next to it, there's a button that removes all non-supported speeds from the list.

Personally I've never used my desktop burner's full speed (52x).  I use 40x.  Not just for the sake of reliability, but also because 52x is fucking LOUD.

H_TeXMeX_H:
Yeah, I've used frontends for cdrecord ... like k3b and others, but how do they get the speeds ? I wanna know how to do this in command line. I think my drive supports at least 40x but it never burns that fast, fastest I can burn is 4x ... maybe I need new firmware ? I'll try ... assuming I can find a way to update the firmware.

mobrien_12:

--- Quote from: H_TeXMeX_H ---Yeah, I've used frontends for cdrecord ... like k3b and others, but how do they get the speeds ? I wanna know how to do this in command line. I think my drive supports at least 40x but it never burns that fast, fastest I can burn is 4x ... maybe I need new firmware ? I'll try ... assuming I can find a way to update the firmware.
--- End quote ---

4x is very slow.  You should not have any reliability problems at that speed.  

Just what kind of drive is this?

If it is an external USB drive plugged into a USB 1.1 port, you are bandwidth limited to 4x and unless you manually set it to burn at 4x it can possibly foul things up.
If it is an internal IDE drive, are you using SCSI emulation?  That's really the way to go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version