Author Topic: want to switch but what  (Read 5065 times)

LinuxRocks

• Kudos: 104
    • http://www.joeman1.com
Re: want to switch but what
« Reply #15 on: 23 May 2006, 05:07 »
I'm a hard core gamer (FPS) and I find Linux to work just fine for me. I play all the Quakes, Dooms, ROTT (Cant even play that one on Windows), UT2004, MOHAA, and tons of others NATIVELY.

I play Half Life 1 and 2, American Magee's Alice, Far Cry, Diablo 2, Fallout, and some others using Cedega and they all work great. Cedega has a FAR better interface that using plane 'ol Wine, but it will cost you; $5 a month.

Gaming is not ONE of Linux's strong points, granted, but a hard core gamer like myself gets by just fine. I have not needed Windows for years now.

For the record, I have 2x GeForce 7800GTX (SLI), AMD X2 4400, 2 gigs of ram and an Audigy 2.

Linux plays native games FAR better than Windows does (On my box anyway). Games that run natively are much smoother in Linux; Windows might edge out in FPS scores (Very slight lead I might add), but its too jerky in Windows.

YMMV, however, depending on your hardware. I made it a point to get top of the line hardware so I can enjoy top of the line games while in Linux...

Joe

adiment

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 519
« Reply #16 on: 23 May 2006, 08:23 »
Quote from: LinuxRocks
I'm a hard core gamer (FPS) and I find Linux to work just fine for me. I play all the Quakes, Dooms, ROTT (Cant even play that one on Windows), UT2004, MOHAA, and tons of others NATIVELY.

I play Half Life 1 and 2, American Magee's Alice, Far Cry, Diablo 2, Fallout, and some others using Cedega and they all work great. Cedega has a FAR better interface that using plane 'ol Wine, but it will cost you; $5 a month.

Gaming is not ONE of Linux's strong points, granted, but a hard core gamer like myself gets by just fine. I have not needed Windows for years now.

For the record, I have 2x GeForce 7800GTX (SLI), AMD X2 4400, 2 gigs of ram and an Audigy 2.

Linux plays native games FAR better than Windows does (On my box anyway). Games that run natively are much smoother in Linux; Windows might edge out in FPS scores (Very slight lead I might add), but its too jerky in Windows.

YMMV, however, depending on your hardware. I made it a point to get top of the line hardware so I can enjoy top of the line games while in Linux...

Joe

I'm gaming on Linux as well and play all those natively. However Cedega is from completition. On your system everything should run fine through it becuase with that kind of setup your eyes cannot see the FPS drop. With HL2 through Cedega I'm getting about 1/2 the FPS I get on Windows (AXP 3200+, OC'd 6800, 1GB)

However, gaming on Linux should not be considered as something impossible, If all you game is UT, Quake, Doom, Max Payne, NVM, ET, CS 1.6, HL1, WC3...etc you should be fine. But for new games like HL2, FEAR, FC, you'll most likely need something like 7800's just to get 1/2 the FPS you get on windows.

and yeah Linux does play native games much better, too bad there's not enough of those though.

What kind of hardware are you running? If you're running an ATI card and plan to game on Linux, that would be a very bad choice. :tux: If you are planning to go Linux, prepare to learn, it's much more different than clicking install and installing.

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #17 on: 23 May 2006, 19:11 »
Quote from: etement
and yeah Linux does play native games much better, too bad there's not enough of those though.

What kind of hardware are you running? If you're running an ATI card and plan to game on Linux, that would be a very bad choice. :tux: If you are planning to go Linux, prepare to learn, it's much more different than clicking install and installing.

Agreed, Linux is a far better gaming platform than Window$, too bad there's not enough people developing for it :( ... another reason to get people to switch.

ATI blows in lots of different ways ...

As for the installer ... the loki installers work quite well, e.g. they almost always work without problems and it is kind of just click install and you are done (and put in the CDs). Some games can be more difficult though.

corvette

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #18 on: 23 May 2006, 21:06 »
Quote from: LinuxRocks

Joe

i can brigde two cards together but there is no need to yet so i am fine with what i have i installed wine on my laptop and it works just fine i play civ 4 and starcraft on that and there is no problem i will stay with windows until there is a good linux for gaming which i hope will come soon and i am running kopix i think its called on my other cpu and i am planning to start programmer on that since it is open source i am planning to make a brower and a cpu management program i hope to get started soon i should be done in a couple of months and i will piost it on here
thanks

corvette

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #19 on: 23 May 2006, 23:35 »
Quote from: solemnwarning
I have 1gig in my machine, and normally my ram usage is around 256mb

With nothing running?

Shit my machine only uses 70MB when I'm running XP. :eek:
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #20 on: 24 May 2006, 00:43 »
I got a very very strange error compiling Firefox today. When linking libgklayout.so, the rendering engine (gecko) (must be the most resource intensive part of the build), the linker was just killed!

I thought it was a bug in the toolchain (I'm using old versions at this stage). I googled for the error message and it's an error other people were getting when they had no memory left. And whataya know, dmesg had some OOM (out of memory) messages for me to read.

I've 256mb ram and 2gb swap, what the hell?

Turns out, my swap wasn't enabled. There's an init script to turn it on (with 'swapon -a'), an init script I must've accidentally removed when I was last messing about with the config - April 15th.

So I was running for well over a month on a 256mb ram machine without any swap, and I didn't even notice lol. Using GNOME and Firefox basically every single day - Firefox many times with tens of tabs open, and some other random things, and Linux dev's were too smart for me to notice.

PS: FF 2.0 is looking fine.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #21 on: 24 May 2006, 02:06 »
Quote from: corvette
i can brigde two cards together but there is no need to yet so i am fine with what i have i installed wine on my laptop and it works just fine i play civ 4 and starcraft on that and there is no problem i will stay with windows until there is a good linux for gaming which i hope will come soon and i am running kopix i think its called on my other cpu and i am planning to start programmer on that since it is open source i am planning to make a brower and a cpu management program i hope to get started soon i should be done in a couple of months and i will piost it on here
thanks

corvette

Using.  All.  Periods.  To.  Balance.  Out.  The.  Quote. :D
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #22 on: 24 May 2006, 02:46 »
Quote from: corvette
i am planning to make a brower and a cpu management program
A web-browser? Why?

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

solemnwarning

• Kudos: 338
    • http://www.solemnwarning.net
« Reply #23 on: 24 May 2006, 09:00 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
With nothing running?

Shit my machine only uses 70MB when I'm running XP. :eek:

With most of the stuff I use running: konsole, xchat, gkrellm, scite, ect
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
 Version: 3.1
 GCS/CM d- s+:+ a--- C++ UL++++>$ P+ L+++ !E W++ !N !o !K-- w !O !M !V PS+ PE- !Y !PGP !t !5 !X !R tv b+ DI+ !D G e- h !r y-
 ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

GenuineAdvantage

• Kudos: 449
« Reply #24 on: 24 May 2006, 09:36 »
On this lap with only 256 memory in the first place, there is still room for the memory, about 75MB left. And the swap memory is all but empty, In windows it tends to be used a lot first. Running xterm, gkrellm, audacious, firestarter, gdesklets with 3 desklets, firefox with quite a few tabs open, and a few other things. And even if it get too full, I could just close something and the memory is freed right away. In windows it seems to linger and rely on the swap too much. When I had win Xp on here, I had to tweak everything as far as the services, ending all the useless ones. Used no theme, the flat classic one, and close everything I don't need right away if it's something fairly large. Otherwise it tended to get bogged down. On it was a little better with the default of gnome, but then I just installed xfce and it was fine. Stuff gets done faster than what was on a 2.4GHZ intel with 2 GB of memory and a $500 video card with a standard 7200 hard disk with 8MB buffer running windows xp - with viruses and junk. Compare that to this with old as hell 900 processor and 2MB buffer hard disk if any. Like I said, runs faster than that other one did.

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #25 on: 25 May 2006, 05:26 »
My god - wine has fairly been coming along.

I'm posting this message in the Windows version of Firefox 1.5.0.3 - ontop of wine 0.9.13 pretending to be Windows 2000.

It's a little slow and there's one or two minor bugs I've noticed, but other than that it's brilliant. Oh and the fonts - there's only one, but still, this works.

Here's a screenshot which I uploaded in FileZilla, a Windows-only FTP client that also runs brilliantly in wine (except it crashed once - dunno if that was a FZ or a wine issue).

The winecfg and winefile programs are also very cool - when I last used wine, well well over a year ago, I don't remember seeing them (configuration was a complete bitch).

EDIT: wine 0.9.14 was just released, I had a feeling that was gonna happen! argh

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #26 on: 25 May 2006, 10:44 »
I'm not suprised to see that Firefox runs well under WINE, but what about other apps?

I wouldn't expect an MS program like Visual Studio to work, have you tried any other programs?

Also how do I go about installing WINE on Ubuntu?
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

HPC GUY

• Kudos: 101
« Reply #27 on: 1 June 2006, 16:52 »
Quote from: Pathos
unless you develop java applications :/

CO-SIGNED
"if i destroyed you, i would only be perpetuating your legacy" - Me

• VIP
  • Kudos: 223
« Reply #28 on: 6 June 2006, 21:54 »
Not that Wine is bad in anyway, it is good enough to play half-life, but a gamer with Linux isn't going to get very far. Unless you have two PC's or are able to set up a dual boot with Windows and Linux (I have had very bad experiences with dual booting Linux and Windows) I wouldn't bother.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #29 on: 6 June 2006, 22:05 »
Bad experiences dual-booting?  Jeez, man, it's the easiest thing in the world to do.  You actually have to try extra hard to get it to fuck up.