Author Topic: I've got a Mac!  (Read 7968 times)

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Re: I've got a Mac!
« Reply #45 on: 21 June 2006, 19:06 »
ok, looks like i am getting the install disks for system 7 on ebay, and luckily the upgrades to 7.6 including the UK stuff are available as disk images.

secondly i am hoping to get the asante thing from a guy in the states, however it will cost me about 40 bucks to get it to scotland. also, its power supply expects a 110v input so that will have to be replaced. this may well be a misguided question for here, but does anybody have an idea what the shape of the interface is on this adaptor, so i can get an idea whether it will be easy to source a replacement power adaptor? what i mean is, do you know the shape of the power input thing. the adaptor itself takes a 12v input, however i haven't even thought yet about whether i need to consider the amperes as well, i am hoping this tolerance is built in as it is with laptops and such (so the same laptop can be marketed round the world with just a different power adaptor) but for now all i am worried about is the physical shape of the power adaptor input to the asante device. anybody know? perhaps with a nice digital photo? :-D

thanks in advance!
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #46 on: 21 June 2006, 20:13 »
Can't you test it with a 12V bench PSU or car battery then measure the current with a multimeter?

Or you could try powering it from the origional power supply with a step-down transformer.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?MenuNo=365&MenuName=Convertors&FromMenu=y&criteria=Convertors&doy=21m6&worldid=3

The 45W unit will probably powerful enough, but if not the 200VA unit will more than do, both are less than
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #47 on: 21 June 2006, 22:31 »
I can't imagine that they're referring to anything but this:

for a 110v device that's (presumably) manufactured Stateside.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

bedouin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 443
    • http://homepage.mac.com/alqahtani/
« Reply #48 on: 21 June 2006, 23:22 »
I don't have the AC powered version so I couldn't really tell you.

However I do know you've spent close to $50 on this project already; I bought a tangerine iMac for $75 last year.  You could get a beige G3 for $40 or so (maybe even for free).

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #49 on: 22 June 2006, 17:47 »
hmm. good point.

well, orethrius, i didn't mean the end which goes into the wall, i meant the end which goes into the device, carrying 12v after transformation, as you know there are many different shapes of this, some earthed, some not, etc etc.

well, bedouin i suspect i won't end up getting this asante thing from the states, because it looks like some other people are quite frantic to snap it up, and i am not too eager to pay the transatlantic shipping costs. Still, they are scarce as anything here. i suppose i should just bide my time and hope for the best. somebody on the LEM UK list told me to contact the YMUG and see if any of them have an asante scsi adaptor, so maybe i will do that too.

so far my expenditure has been to buy floppies of MacOS 7.0 for GBP8.50 approx including postage. I seriously begrudge this since it is officially abandonware, however this is my only option to get install disks since apple have cunningly only made the update disks available as disk images.

they are trying to show me that there really is no such thing as a free lunch.

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
« Reply #50 on: 22 June 2006, 18:23 »
You can use HFVExplorer to write mac disk images to floppies:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/16530

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #51 on: 25 June 2006, 21:29 »
well, i can use dd to do it, surely, since they should be byte for byte images of the disks, also hfvexplorer requires windows, which is always a last resort for me. i do have a lot of useful mac related things installed, such as hfs and xhfs which provide a commander style file explorer capable of reading hfs disks, without having to have any kernel modules on the go which support hfs, but because apple do not make the base install disks available as disk images (only the updates) i have had to resort to buying a set of system 7 install floppies (which have yet to arrive)

by the way, for anyone interested, look how much the asante scsi adaptor sold for in the end: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8830970623

i did ask a local mac user group if anybody had a spare one for sale, but no response after almost a week...

bedouin

• VIP
« Reply #52 on: 26 June 2006, 00:42 »
I hadn't priced the Asante adapters ever.  I acquired my Classic II and all its accessories by trading an Amiga 500 complete with monitor and a bunch of software.  I paid $20 for the Amiga a few months prior.  I guess I made out pretty well considering the Asante adapter alone goes for $50+.

I was never an Amiga guy growing up so I couldn't appreciate it anyway.

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #53 on: 26 June 2006, 02:21 »
For what it's worth, HFVexplorer will run under Wine, but I'd imagine it has some non-ANSI C since it's a little quirky.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #54 on: 26 June 2006, 18:45 »
but i don't need it, do i? am i missing something?

perhaps i will just have to wait till i find an asante scsi adaptor by the side of the road as well! i did think of knocking on the door where the mac was outside and asking if he had any other bits for it, but decided against it.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #55 on: 27 July 2006, 20:08 »
quick! can somebody (realistically this may mean bedouin) tell me if any of this stuff will make me able to plug my mac into my router?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170001391287

i expect not since it's all either internal or USB, but i thought i should ask anyway...

bedouin

• VIP
« Reply #56 on: 27 July 2006, 21:31 »
No, I don't see anything.

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #57 on: 29 July 2006, 11:33 »
oh well, back to the old drawing board.

thanks for the quick reply!

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #58 on: 12 September 2006, 16:54 »
similar post... this guy is selling an old mac laptop with an asante netdock. does anyone know if this netdock is the device i am looking for? if so, i could get this just for the netdock, yes? there's no point if it's not the right thing though.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #59 on: 13 September 2006, 04:22 »
If I had to guess, I'd say no.  From the name, that sounds like something that would plug into the docking station port on the PowerBook Duo.  The Duo had no internal...anything.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez