Author Topic: Open Souce Handheld  (Read 948 times)

Dark_Me

• Kudos: 314
Open Souce Handheld
« on: 7 June 2006, 07:13 »
Link.

To sum up the GP2X:

It can play games. It can play your Movies. It can play your music. It can view photos. It can read Ebooks. It runs on just 2 AA batteries - And it can do all this in the palm of your hand or on your TV screen.

Yes that's right, this handheld can connect to the TV, console style. Watch your DivX movies on the TV. Play emulated classics on the TV. Try big screen Quake. Or just play them all on the GP2X's large 320*240 backlit screen. You get the best of both worlds.

It runs the free Linux operating system. This means a whole world of Games, Utilities and Emulators are at your disposal. Quake, Doom, SNES, Megadrive, MAME, Media players and Applications to name just a few.

It's powerful - Two 200mhz CPU's with 64meg of RAM, custom graphics hardware and decoding chips. Takes SD cards and has 64M of NAND memory. Plenty to play with. One of the most powerful and advanced handhelds today.

That means it can play movies without any re-encoding. Just put them onto an SD card. Any size. Any resolution. No messing about. The GP2X scaling chip will resize to fit the screen. No other handheld can do that.

It's cheap. Just
Capitalism kicks ass.
-Skyman
If your a selfish, self-centred prick, who is willing to leave half the world in poverty, then yes.
-Kintaro

Pathos

• Kudos: 416
Re: Open Souce Handheld
« Reply #1 on: 7 June 2006, 09:01 »
read an article on how they were breaking the gpl by not releasing the kernel source a while ago. not sure if thats changed.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gp2x

seems only the mplayer source hasn't been released.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #2 on: 7 June 2006, 16:07 »
How about the hardware is that open source?

I could be easy to release a piece of hardware and the source code but not allow modification of the source unless it's intended for use on different hardware. For example I could release a Linux device that performs a CRC on all the binaries when booted, if it differs from the one I made when I wrote the BIOS software then it won't work hence it's totally useless if you modify the code.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #3 on: 7 June 2006, 21:21 »
And ...

DRM

There has been discussion [1] of the inclusion of DRM in the GP2X. Gamepark Holdings has confirmed [2] that DRM will be used to restrict what users can do with commercial games made for the system, and will not be used to restrict user-loaded content (video, music, or software development), since most if not all GP2X built-in software is open-source. Two available protection schemes are locking software to operate only on the Secure Digital (SD) card that it is shipped on, or locking it to the unique hardware ID# of the GP2X unit of the user who purchased the software.