Operating Systems > Not Quite Mainstream OSes

FreeDOS 1.0 soon :)

<< < (3/3)

Laukev7:
Windows 3.1 compatibility would be nice... especially since you can install a nice updated interface over it like Calmira.

mobrien_12:
Yeah, but if you want Windows 3.1 compatability and networking, why not go to OS/2?  Keep DOS on the dual boot.

Laukev7:
To my knowledge, you can't run OS/2 in Dosbox. And in OS/2, you have to open a separate window to run 3.1 apps.

Not to mention all the hardware compatibility problems like sound and joysticks you run in when you want to run a DOS game.

(Damnit, my post is ridiculously contradictory and non-sensical, but I feel too lazy to correct my faults of logic.)

Calum:
well everything that has been said on this site seems to suggest that OS/2 is a complete dog to use or administer, also since it is very scarce, both in terms of getting a copy and getting software for it, i think windows would be a better choice for what would only be a toy system anyway (any system running DOS that isn't a toy system probably doesn't need a GUI).

although i am sure that technically OS/2 is better than windows, since it is based to a certain extent on avoiding the mistakes that went into the development of windows initially, i'm sure it contains plenty of mistakes of its own though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version