Author Topic: The linux test is back  (Read 4051 times)

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
Re: The linux test is back
« Reply #30 on: 17 August 2006, 02:10 »
Quote from: davidnix71
Quote >>  I have Mandrake 6 on cd, plus manuals, if you need it, dialup loser...<
Hey Worker, I resemble that remark. I'm still living on it. I've downloaded 1.14 GB of stuff  on dialup with just iGetter alone. It keeps track for me.

Maybe I'll get dsl one day.
Wow, they're gonna have to bring bandwidth limits in on dialup :P

Here it's usually ALOT cheaper to get ADSL. Wouldn't it be the same there, or do you get free/extremely cheap dialup?
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

davidnix71

• Kudos: 501
« Reply #31 on: 17 August 2006, 04:02 »
Unlimited BellSouth dial-up is $21/month. The speed varies because they are doing fiber upgrades nearby and are rerouting traffic and reseting connections a lot. Around 40kbs is doable.

Real DSL is $45/ month from BellSouth. They offer a few dsl-lite versions, but they aren't much cheaper. I don't watch tv or care to, so a cable or satellite bundle for $70 isn't any cheaper. TV was a vast wasteland when I was young and it hasn't gotten better. :p

I had a conversation with a BellSouth rep as to why I wouldn't get dsl from them, and I told him that their advertising was the reason.

BellSouth and everyone else offering high speed internet here won't disclose the true price in their ads. Either they mention no price at all, or they only list a fake low come-on price (good for 90 days or only valid with an expensive bundle of other services).

BellSouth had what looked like a decent deal a couple of months ago until I got to the second page of fine print on the internet. The fine print said the offer was valid for someone who had dsl wiring installed already and owned a BellSouth compatible modem.

If not, then it 'might' cost $200 dollars to set up (wiring upgrade and a modem). I live in a 40-year-old apartment and don't have a dsl modem that meets their specs. Plus I use a Mac.

Linux would be a lot more doable with dsl. Dialup on a mac with Linux is almost impossible. I actually use VPC and pc versions of Linux and dial out from OS X and give VPC network privileges. Dynebolic is usable that way.

Duo Maxwell

• VIP
  • Kudos: 232
    • http://www.homepage.mac.com/duo_maxwell1/
« Reply #32 on: 17 August 2006, 04:05 »
I see it as the time saved, broadmand opens up allot more to do and see that out there that is just far too time consuming on dialup. What's more valueable to you? Your dollars $5-15 more a month or your time?

RaZoR1394

• Kudos: 219
    • http://razoreye.mine.nu/
« Reply #33 on: 25 August 2006, 18:13 »
Last time I did that test I got Gentoo, now I got Ubuntu. It seems to fit my new ideals. However I would like to see a much more advanced test.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #34 on: 19 September 2006, 20:18 »
In the end I got fucked off with Ubuntu so I installed Mandriva and it's quite good for what it is. I liked the way it came as a live CD and had an easy install feature, the only thing is as my usual complaint with most distros half the software included with ti is out of date. I hope the packaging sysytem is better than Ubuntu's which had this Winwoes-like ability to fuck itself.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #35 on: 19 September 2006, 20:26 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
I liked the way it came as a live CD and had an easy install feature
Ubuntu 6.06 does that too ;)

I downloaded the Mandriva One 2007 beta 2 recently and it FUCKING ROCKS. Out of the box compiz support with the free ATi drivers, it doesnt get any better than that.
the only thing is as my usual complaint with most distros half the software included with ti is out of date.
And Windows software isnt? :p
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #36 on: 19 September 2006, 22:10 »
Quote from: davidnix71
all that BellSouth stuff.

I live in the same area as you.  (Well, at the moment, I live on a college campus away from that, but nonetheless.)  DSL is $43, and DSL Lite is $30, I think.  It's only 256kbps, but it's worth it.  Also, using a Mac won't matter to them since the service is just DHCP or PPPoE, which is trivial.  I don't recall my parents having to pay anything for wiring (our house is ~32 years old), and the modem was just part of the monthly fee.

I can't think of any reason to stick with dial-up.  And even then...why are you paying $21 a month for it?  Certainly you can get it for much less than that.  I see $14.95 NetZero commercials all the time.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #37 on: 20 September 2006, 00:21 »
If you think about it how many times can they afford time to make and release a new iso for you to burn and make sure it is stable on as many systems as possible. Most distros release new isos every once in a while (like Fedora every 6-12 months). Unless the distro releases them say every 3 years, then it shouldn't be significantly outdated. Besides, sometimes newer versions of software are far more buggy and have many more problems than previous versions (this has happened several times) ... so in this case you may want to wait a bit so the bugs can be sorted out (really only in the case of major bugs ... which are probably the ones you're going to notice)

Senji

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #38 on: 20 September 2006, 13:47 »
wow this test is perfect ;]
mine says :

Mandriva
Kubuntu
Ubuntu
Fedora

in that order ;]
what do you think Mandriva or Ubuntu ?

H_TeXMeX_H

• Kudos: 494
    • http://draconishinobi.50webs.com/
« Reply #39 on: 20 September 2006, 20:33 »
Fedora

cymon

• Kudos: 172
« Reply #40 on: 1 October 2006, 16:42 »
Ubuntu and Debian. I'm running Debian Etch now.

_kill__bill

• VIP
  • Kudos: 355
« Reply #41 on: 3 October 2006, 03:25 »
Mine says Gentoo or Slackware.
Long Live the Revolution!