Author Topic: Why Linux is King and will soon Rule  (Read 3647 times)

slave

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.fuckmicrosoft.com
Why Linux is King and will soon Rule
« Reply #15 on: 22 October 2002, 01:04 »
Concerning Linux vs Windows, all I can say is I know Linux will always be around, regardless of how popular it is.  Even if every Linux company in the world went under, Linux development would continue. I can't say that with certainty about Microsoft.

Concerning your comments about why Linux will always be "King," first of all king in what way?  On the server?  Maybe so, but what about for home/desktop users?  I have to admit you are right about open source producing software extremely fast.  Linux and its apps have sprung up apparently overnight.  However, a lot of Linux apps are buggy and/or incomplete, but the popular ones usually don't stay this way for long.  Linux developers also seem to have a rule where they make a x.0 release as buggy as possible.

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
« Reply #16 on: 22 October 2002, 01:06 »
quote:
Originally posted by void main:
You've used the "Bluecurve" theme? I doubt it. And unlike Windows, you have "complete" custimizability when you have the source code. Since when does KDE not have the ability to custimize Window backgrounds?

I couldn't get it to customive the Window backrounds( a.k.a put in background picture kinda like a desktop wallpaper). If the option is available please dotell how to use it.

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #17 on: 22 October 2002, 01:06 »
And Microsoft appears to have a policy of making every release as buggy as possible. If they didn't there would be no need to upgrade.  
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

slave

« Reply #18 on: 22 October 2002, 01:08 »
quote:
Posted by Zombie9920:
Heh, that looks nothing like KDE3. I have used KDE3 before and I must say that I think it looks like crap and is crap. It has no Window background design options, it doesn't have colorful quick task access buttons on the side of the Windows(that can be disabled in Windows if you don't like it), etc.

Hey, if there's one thing I hate about KDE it's the fact that it has TOO many features.  I prefer a minimal GUI that doesn't get in my way and will let me Just Work(tm)  I do most of my "configurating" in Linux using the console anyway; it's faster, I'm sorry to say.  (I'm sure void main would agree with me)

Zombie9920

« Reply #19 on: 22 October 2002, 01:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by M$sucks55:
Oh my looks like M$ stuck there tumb up there ass with this one. it look like xp for kids      :rolleyes:    

Im lucky im moving to mandrake 9 as soon as i get my ADSL        

ps : this "new" xp ....loghorn what ever.....
looks like someone got stile xp and had a kiddie fild day.. could these pics be fakes ?

[ October 21, 2002: Message edited by: M$sucks55 ]

I still don't see how you guys think that look like fisher price. There are no candy colored window buttons, there is no candy colored looking start button(like XP Lunas' start button) and the color of the interface isn't a solid candy color.

The Longhorn look seems to be professional looking(Like the Blackcomb Pro 1.1 VS I'm currently using right now). You guys just can't stand to know that Windows is kicking the crap out of Linux and will continue to do so(it will actually kick more crap out of Linux after Palladium hardware becomes the standard in new computers).

Umm, no those aren't fakes buddy. I've seen probably 35 differnt screenies of Longhorn Alpha that hit the MSBetas' site recently form alot of differnt people and they all look consistent to every other screenie.

BTW, XP doesn't have the capabilites to display My Pictures and My Music the way it is displayed in the screenies I provided. There is no way to make XP display those folders like that either..so no, they aren't fakes that were done with StylesXP.

[ October 21, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]

slave

« Reply #20 on: 22 October 2002, 01:14 »
quote:
 And Microsoft appears to have a policy of making every release as buggy as possible. If they didn't there would be no need to upgrade.

Which versions of Windows are you talking about?  Microsoft, unlike Linux, has to get it right for major releases.  Linux developers are like "eh, who cares if there are a few bugs, we'll fix it down the road."  Well, at least you don't have to pay for Linux bugfixes, unlike with Microsoft. (Win 98 was a bugfix for 95 and we all know it)

Zombie9920

« Reply #21 on: 22 October 2002, 01:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by Windows XP User #5225982375:

Hey, if there's one thing I hate about KDE it's the fact that it has TOO many features.  I prefer a minimal GUI that doesn't get in my way and will let me Just Work(tm)  I do most of my "configurating" in Linux using the console anyway; it's faster, I'm sorry to say.  (I'm sure void main would agree with me)

Yes, the Konsole is a much faster and more profficiant way of using Linux. I've said that in previous posts. IT isn't much of a surprise though considering Linux is a command line OS. The Window Managers are to Linux what Win 3.1 was to DOS.

NT OSes on the other hand are fully GUI and do not depend on an ancient command line OS. The NT GUI will always be better than Window Managers for Linux simply because the OS *is* a GUI.

Zombie9920

« Reply #22 on: 22 October 2002, 01:18 »
quote:

Which versions of Windows are you talking about?  Microsoft, unlike Linux, has to get it right for major releases.  Linux developers are like "eh, who cares if there are a few bugs, we'll fix it down the road."  Well, at least you don't have to pay for Linux bugfixes, unlike with Microsoft. (Win 98 was a bugfix for 95 and we all know it)

That is right. As I said, by time Longhorn hits RC-1 status most of the bugs will be ironed out. Every bug that is discovered by time it hits RTM will be fixed. Microsoft has the resources to fix thier software...with Linux you have to depend on geeks who have hardly nothing when it comes to resources. Open Source software will  always be buggy and incomplete(like you already said) because of the lack of funds and resources.

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #23 on: 22 October 2002, 01:20 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:

I couldn't get it to customive the Window backrounds( a.k.a put in background picture kinda like a desktop wallpaper). If the option is available please dotell how to use it.

In the Konqueror file manager you can set the background to whatever you want by clicking "View->Background Image". You can set background images in the console Windows to whatever you want. You can set the background for the panels/menus including alpha blending/transparency.

I don't believe there is a way to set the background of every application Window to a specific image but you can certainly set it to a color if that is what you mean. And of course you could always modify the source to add that feature if you wanted it, nobody must want it.
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #24 on: 22 October 2002, 01:56 »
Okay, I agree with all... there's still a lot of Fisher Price left, but there's also a painful new appearance.

XP User... you mentioned you like having a simple UI... why are you still with Windows? Check out Mac OS X. It's simple. The file manager (Finder) doesn't try to be the entire OS, only a file manager. Looking at those Longhorn screenies made my head swim with the sheer amount of bullshit that's inside a "folder" window. Does anybody else remember when Windows actually put the contents of a folder inside a folder window?

What's with the paper flat blue window decorations, but then having the Aqua rip-off command buttons... oh, and the scrollbars? They look like OS/2 Warp 4.

Longhorn does not contain a new "UI", nor did XP. They had a new appearance for the WinMe UI, which was just Win2K with a few refinements. Win2K was simply Win98 perfected. 98 was just 95 but with crappy IE windows in place of folder windows. The meat and potatoes (cheesy Southern U.S. phrase =^) of the interface are the same. They didn't really improve their lackluster interface... they only made it look gaudy.

Apple's Aqua looks like glass and translucent plastic, and designed to match the appearance of their hardware for the most part. XP is brightly colored styrene plastic with big, easy-to grab titlebars and gimmicky looking icons and curvy, molded gradients, made to look like... fisher price toys.

So, MS copies Apple by creating a new appearance to match their hardware. Does that mean that Windows PCs are fisher price toys?   :D  

Oh, and someone, zombie I think, commented that Longhorn's WM makes it look more "professional"... if I hear someone use the word professional in reference to how something looks again, I swear, I'm gonna walk into an office building, accost people and make them wear hawaiian shirts, shorts, and nikes.

Does the bidness world care so much about the "professional image" that they now worry what the window manager of the OS running on their computers looks like?

Time for a post in the Lounge!

[ October 21, 2002: Message edited by: The Jimmy James / Bob ]

Go the fuck ~

Bazoukas

• Kudos: 140
    • http://whitehouse.com
« Reply #25 on: 22 October 2002, 04:34 »
quote:
Concerning Linux vs Windows, all I can say is I know Linux will always be around, regardless of how popular it is.  Even if every Linux company in the world went under, Linux development would continue. I can't say that with certainty about Microsoft.

Concerning your comments about why Linux will always be "King," first of all king in what way?  On the server?  Maybe so, but what about for home/desktop users?  I have to admit you are right about open source producing software extremely fast.  Linux and its apps have sprung up apparently overnight.  However, a lot of Linux apps are buggy and/or incomplete, but the popular ones usually don't stay this way for long.  Linux developers also seem to have a rule where they make a x.0 release as buggy as possible.

Look. I am majoring in Computer Programing.
As I said, installing Software sometimes can be a pain in the ass but its nothing to it. If you dont wanna Download the apps, you can order them for $10 over the net on a CD and no fuss. It sure beats spending $300 for an office app when you can have Open Office.

I am a RedHat user. And there are few programs that basically take a shit on me.

Quanta(Html editor). But i can use Anjuta, Vim, or a plain txt editor.
Koffice is a piece of shit. No realy, its a Major pile of shit. Even Abi is better. But you have Open Office.
 So far those are the apps that take a shit on me.

But where it matters it is User Friendly.
Want an example? With out knowing shit about Networking I managed to fire up my machine as a server running Apache in just 2 days. Talk about an ego boost. And I am using Linux for about 3 months. So am still a major ass ignorant Linux noob.

And please remember I was an avid Win user.   As times goes by Linux will continue to be polished and smooth out whatever rough edges it has. Its just a matter of time.
  There are some rough edges, but where it realy counts Linux is smooth like a babys ass.

I dont wish for MS to go broke. Am sure that their programers are being kept down by management and they cant do their own thing and be as creative as they wanna be.
 But if MS keeps pushing and pushing like it does (like IBM did back in the day), well then, I hope it  goes down in flames.

Maybe they wont go down in flames, but i believe and I hope so, that MS will be marginalized as IBM was.
  As they say in Greece.
Palies mou dokses.
Good old Glory days.

[ October 21, 2002: Message edited by: bazoukas ]

Yeah

Stryker

• VIP
  • Kudos: 41
« Reply #26 on: 22 October 2002, 05:10 »
quote:

Ha, I think I'm going to like the future of MS OSes. After seeing the Alpha screenshots of the upcoming Longhorn I know it is going to be a great OS. BTW, it is still in Alpha...it will only get better and better as the Beta testing period goes on. I can't wait until it reaches RTM.            

Longhorn is going to blow other OSes(Linux especially) out of the water. Palladium hardware will be hitting the shelves soon. ;P

Some Longhorn screenshots.

http://www.xbetas.com/content/images/NEW!.jpg

http://www.xs4all.nl/~binkbv/lh/folder1.gif

http://www.xs4all.nl/~binkbv/lh/my-hardware2.gif

http://www.xs4all.nl/~binkbv/lh/mymusic.gif

http://www.xs4all.nl/~binkbv/lh/my-pics.gif

(from the screenshots I see the person is using the I815 chipset w/either a PIII or Celeron coppermine...so that means Longhorn will work on non Palladium hardware).

<---waits patiently on IRC for a leak of this Alpha.       :D  

I want to see some Linux screenies that even come close to rivaling Longhorns' good looks. ;P

Personally, I'm not worried about longhorn. I won't use it or palladium so why worry? Microsoft will be forced to give out enough information to people who want to make their own operating system to work with the palladium hardware. If not then it is an undefeatable monopoly which is illegal, and will of course be fixed for us mac and linux folk. Palladium will not destroy linux, linux will probably incorporate the abilities for palladium hardware, and optionally palladium security.

What the hell can you tell from the images? The images look exactly like windows xp to me, i don't see any difference in there...

Bazoukas

• Kudos: 140
    • http://whitehouse.com
« Reply #27 on: 22 October 2002, 05:11 »
as VoidMan said. Some people confuse GUI with OS.
Yeah

zooloo

• http://www.websteam.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: 22 October 2002, 05:28 »
quote:

Microsoft doesn't stay in business by giving away thier shit for free.

very true.  They make money by charging for their shit.
Open Source Software - What is the compelling reason to use anything else?

Zombie9920

« Reply #29 on: 22 October 2002, 06:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by Stryker:
What the hell can you tell from the images? The images look exactly like windows xp to me, i don't see any difference in there...

The main difference from seeing screenshots is the looks. I'm sure Longhorn will be more stable and faster than XP which is already fast and stable..plus I'm sure Longhorn will have a much larger built-in driver database(for those who don't like installing drivers).

Example of difference in looks.

XP's My Music Folder(taken from my system)

http://www.ticz.com/homes/users/waltw/XPmymusic.jpg

Longhorn's My Music Folder

http://www.xs4all.nl/~binkbv/lh/mymusic.gif

See how much better it looks, also notice how the side bar(for easy access to common tasks) is colorful and seemlesly blends in with the rest of the Window. It just looks nicer. The Display Properties looks alot nicer than the display properties in XP(and other older versions of Windows). The My Pictures folder looks better and so does the rest of the stuff in Longhorn so far.

When Longhorn goes gold I bet it will look completely different than it does now in the Alpha stage. It will probably look really kick ass when it is final.