Author Topic: Why Linux is King and will soon Rule  (Read 3643 times)

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
Why Linux is King and will soon Rule
« Reply #60 on: 5 November 2002, 05:51 »
To show that I'm not bullshitting about Linux trying to *imitate* Windows, have a look at this.

These are Lycoris screenies.

Link to images damnit!

Arg! linky linky!

guk! can't... breathe!... Images... too.. large... !

ho hum, yes you guessed it, another image

Wow. i am so glad you linked to all these images.

image, image image.

LAST ONE!!!! (can you believe it?

The stupid OS even has a Lycoris Update(like Windows Update) and it has Wizards(like Windows).

Now tell me, who copies who?

[ November 04, 2002: Message edited by: Zombie9920 ]
[edited by somebody who knows how to link to images]

[ November 05, 2002: Message edited by: Calum & his insidious little spies ]

rtgwbmsr

• VIP
  • Kudos: 0
    • http://www.akgames.net
« Reply #61 on: 5 November 2002, 06:28 »
The Windows GUI is a complete rip off of the Mac. They licenced parts of it for fucks sake! What they didn't licence they promptly stole. And M$ is for "protection of Intellectual Property"? Hippocrates.

DOS is a DIRECT rip off of everything that was out  at the time.

The Lycoris GUI is SUPPOSED to be like that. It's supposed to give people a familiar feel who want to switch from Windows.

Gnome 2 comes damn close to rivaling the looks of something that won't be coming out for another 3 years.

And they were right about Linux. You can't knock on it: It's just a core. Gnome, KDE, IceWM, Enlightement, etc. are what you look at when you "see" Linux.

Are you FOR palladium!? Are you for losing all of your rights to listen to music and watch movies where you damn well please?! Then support Palladium all you fucking want. Don't come running back whining when you can't copy a song from a CD to your MP3 player.

Other than making another taskbar and making it transparent, Longhorn doesn't look like an advance in technology. They changed the way the windows look a little *OOH*

What a load of crap.

[ November 04, 2002: Message edited by: The_Muffin_Man/B0b ]

rtgwbmsr

• VIP
« Reply #62 on: 5 November 2002, 06:35 »
quote:
Hit the books already junior. ;P

Don't say this. I consider dejecting someone because of their age very insulting. Age is just a number, not a measure of someone's intelligence.

Zombie9920

« Reply #63 on: 5 November 2002, 06:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by The_Muffin_Man/B0b:
The Windows GUI is a complete rip off of the Mac. They licenced parts of it for fucks sake! What they didn't licence they promptly stole. And M$ is for "protection of Intellectual Property"? Hippocrates.

DOS is a DIRECT rip off of everything that was out  at the time.

The Lycoris GUI is SUPPOSED to be like that. It's supposed to give people a familiar feel who want to switch from Windows.

Gnome 2 comes damn close to rivaling the looks of something that won't be coming out for another 3 years.

And they were right about Linux. You can't knock on it: It's just a core. Gnome, KDE, IceWM, Enlightement, etc. are what you look at when you "see" Linux.

Are you FOR palladium!? Are you for losing all of your rights to listen to music and watch movies where you damn well please?! Then support Palladium all you fucking want. Don't come running back whining when you can't copy a song from a CD to your MP3 player.

Other than making another taskbar and making it transparent, Longhorn doesn't look like an advance in technology. They changed the way the windows look a little *OOH*

What a load of crap.

[ November 04, 2002: Message edited by: The_Muffin_Man/B0b ]

Windows 3.1 was like a rip-off of MacOS. Windows 3.1 wan't an OS either, it was an app that functioned as an easy to use DOS Shell(IBM copied Win 3.1 with OS/2 Warp). Windows 95 was  an OS of it's own(the only DOS dependcy it had was to use it to boot up..it didn't rely on DOS to configure drivers, IRQ's etc.). Nothing about it(except the recycle bin) resembled MacOS at all. So the Windows that everyone has become aquianted to is not a copy of a god damn thing.

DOS was created by MS and IBM. MS bought IBM's slice of the pie so MS legally obtained and had rights to DOS. There was no other OS out there at the time that DOS could've possibly copied.

Why can't Mac biggots understand and face the simple fact that Apple did not invent GUI. Xerox invented it and Apple used it(Apple didn't innovate a god damn thing). When you see any GUI(wether it be Windows, MacOS, a Linux WM, etc.) you should be thanking Xerox for inventing it..not Apple.

For the Longhorn isn't any better than XP comment. Longhorn has a long way to go before it goes gold. Now if you want to talk about upgrades that don't mean much lets talk about those OSX updates that cost you money everytime you upgrade. What is so different about Jaguar that sets it apart from OSX 10.1.4? Is it just minor GUI changes? LoL Also, why does Apple charge for services that should be free(services that you paid for when you bought your copy of OSX)?

What was so different between MacOS 8, 8.1 and 9? Not much...but they were all updates that costed money.

rtgwbmsr

• VIP
« Reply #64 on: 5 November 2002, 07:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zombie9920:

Windows 3.1 was like a rip-off of MacOS. Windows 3.1 wan't an OS either, it was an app that functioned as an easy to use DOS Shell(IBM copied Win 3.1 with OS/2 Warp). Windows 95 was  an OS of it's own(the only DOS dependcy it had was to use it to boot up..it didn't rely on DOS to configure drivers, IRQ's etc.). Nothing about it(except the recycle bin) resembled MacOS at all. So the Windows that everyone has become aquianted to is not a copy of a god damn thing.

DOS was created by MS and IBM. MS bought IBM's slice of the pie so MS legally obtained and had rights to DOS. There was no other OS out there at the time that DOS could've possibly copied.

Why can't Mac biggots understand and face the simple fact that Apple did not invent GUI. Xerox invented it and Apple used it(Apple didn't innovate a god damn thing). When you see any GUI(wether it be Windows, MacOS, a Linux WM, etc.) you should be thanking Xerox for inventing it..not Apple.

For the Longhorn isn't any better than XP comment. Longhorn has a long way to go before it goes gold. Now if you want to talk about upgrades that don't mean much lets talk about those OSX updates that cost you money everytime you upgrade. What is so different about Jaguar that sets it apart from OSX 10.1.4? Is it just minor GUI changes? LoL Also, why does Apple charge for services that should be free(services that you paid for when you bought your copy of OSX)?

What was so different between MacOS 8, 8.1 and 9? Not much...but they were all updates that costed money.

8 to 8.1 was free. LOOK IT UP BEFORE YOU SAY IT.

Jaguar was a massive improvement over 10.1.5. It was much faster, much smoother. It has better memory management and Quartz Extreme, which accounts for most of the speed. Worth the $130 I spent on it.

I'm not anymore of a bigot than you are.

emh

« Reply #65 on: 5 November 2002, 07:41 »
Personally, I don't really care about how pretty the GUI looks.  I like it simple and to the point.  I personally prefer the Windows 3.1 look than I do the 95 look.  But I still prefer how Windows 98 and Windows 2000 look to how Windows XP looks.  I'm actually kind of turned off from Windows XP because of its appearance (there are other reasons, but that's beyond the scope of what I'm talking about)  For the same reason, I don't care much for the GNOME desktop, because it seems too focused on looks for me.  I prefer KDE, because it seems more no-nonsense to me.

But I'm probably not making much sense here, so I'll shut up now.....

ILOVEC++

« Reply #66 on: 5 November 2002, 10:18 »
I think y'all should take the linux cock out of your asses and have a good laugh:

http://www.linuxsucks.com/

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #67 on: 5 November 2002, 16:31 »
seen it, it's old news.

now in answer to zombie648326345:
you have a fucking nerve, mormon. You are the one who fails to answer questions time after time. It's rich to see you accusing somebody else of it, and as for your blowharding about 'everybody stole the GUI from Xerox', as it happens, Xerox PARC was research only. Xerox set it up so they could get the jump on the paperless office if it ever happened. It didn't happen so Xerox did not market any of their groundbreaking stuff. They were the first to come up with 2.56Mbps ethernet but they chose to spend another six years developing 10Mbps ethernet because they reckoned that that would be what people were using in 2000 (this in the mid seventies!) They didn't market the alto, an office microcomputer, they didn't market anything with a GUI, although they did come up with the concept of bitmapping as standard out. also, operating systems, machines, everything that Xerox developed, that was supposedly copied by somebody else was developed from (or almost from) scratch by whoever 'stole' the idea.
I don't think patenting should be allowed for software. Copyrighting of course, patenting no. The GUI cannot be copyrighted and should not be patented. Somebody's unique take on the GUI can be copyrighted though, and that's how it should be.

Also, windows' GUI is a direct copy of MacOS' GUI. the two projects have forked a bit over the years but when Apple and M$ made their deal (that M$ broke) Gates and Allen actually left the final deal carrying some Apple machines away with them for dissection and analysis. Also, you conveniently forget that the 'windows 95 taskbar' which is the only part of the windows GUI i cannot see in MacOS, was present in RiscOS in 1988! so suck it, dumbass.

why must i cover this ground over and over for you, zombie? can't you read? can't you type the word 'google' into your address bar like everybody else? WHY??????

as i said before, shut up when you talk to me.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Bazoukas

• Kudos: 140
    • http://whitehouse.com
« Reply #68 on: 5 November 2002, 18:15 »
quote:

As I said,

A)You can't give me a good reply because you don't have one. End of story.

Now, if you are so hell bent on doing your fucking homework get the hell off of the internet and go do it already. You realize that you are wasting time replying to anybody in a forum when you have homework to do don't you?
Hit the books already junior. ;P

As I said you piece of donkeys shit I was reading for my midterm.

IF YOU ARE SO FUCKING STUPID TO SEE HOW MS RIPED OFF COMPANIES THEN YOU DESERVE TO BE CALLED A FUCKING MORON.

Fallow the God Damn Links in this web site and see what am talking about. I am not gonna take by the hand a fucking shitard like you.

So fuck off. I have better things to do than try to open your eyes. You are already made your mind about everything.

The screenshots that you gave dont mean shit. Its just a way to make the users do an easy transition from Windos to Linux VISUAL wise, and nothing more.

Tell me fucktard, who 1st created the so called Dirty Operating System?
  Here is another one for you,  MOSAIC....have you heard of them you fucktard???
 Yes your precious IE is a fucking rip off you moronic piece of shit. And a bad rip off at best.

So shut your mouth and read your history!

idiot.

[ November 05, 2002: Message edited by: bazoukas ]

Yeah

Zombie9920

« Reply #69 on: 5 November 2002, 19:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by bazoukas:

As I said you piece of donkeys shit I was reading for my midterm.

IF YOU ARE SO FUCKING STUPID TO SEE HOW MS RIPED OFF COMPANIES THEN YOU DESERVE TO BE CALLED A FUCKING MORON.

Fallow the God Damn Links in this web site and see what am talking about. I am not gonna take by the hand a fucking shitard like you.

So fuck off. I have better things to do than try to open your eyes. You are already made your mind about everything.

The screenshots that you gave dont mean shit. Its just a way to make the users do an easy transition from Windos to Linux VISUAL wise, and nothing more.

Tell me fucktard, who 1st created the so called Dirty Operating System?
  Here is another one for you,  MOSAIC....have you heard of them you fucktard???
 Yes your precious IE is a fucking rip off you moronic piece of shit. And a bad rip off at best.

So shut your mouth and read your history!

idiot.

[ November 05, 2002: Message edited by: bazoukas ]

Did you just graduate from the 3rd grade? My 10 year old cousin can compose better sentences than you can. Your profile says that you are 27 years old but you speak like your 11 years old? You have to do homework? I don't think that you are 27 years old. If you really are you need to grow up and act like it.

Blah blah blah blah fukin blah blah shit blah blah fucktard, blah blah blah ass blah blah. Hey! You wouldn't happen to be one of those Aussies would you be? ROFLMFAO

I'm not going to call you a fucktard. I am going to call you wetawded though.

Bazoukas

• Kudos: 140
    • http://whitehouse.com
« Reply #70 on: 5 November 2002, 19:49 »
Try doing full time school and full time work (most of the times second shift), then come and talk to me fucktard.  
 Sorry if you cant stand the cursing. I will send you a dress and some nail polish. Sorry if I invade your little Internet world with some "sailor talk".

Tough shit for you.

But once again, you avoid the subject when somebody hands to you some facts.

As i said. Prove me wrong about MOSAIC and about Dirty Operating System.

YOU CANT  and YOU DIDNT,  because these are historical facts!

You have been owned so many times in here by other members, that I wonder if you enjoy the bitch slaping.

Now go ahead and continue being the village idiot  for these forums. We like having you here   :D  . It breaks the boredom.

Once in a while I will flame you, when i want to get some juices flowing.  :D

****END OF TRANSMISSION****
Yeah

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #71 on: 5 November 2002, 19:55 »
and zombie5730985793, will you answer my post? no. you prefer slinging mud. Also, to comment on the 'dirty operating system', it was actually created by Tim Paterson of Seattle Computer Products. The system was actually illegally ripped off from CP/M, the first microcomputer operating system, written by Gary Kildall, founder of Digital Research. Kildall was actually IBM's first choice when they were looking to buy a system for their first personal computer, however Kildall's crappy timekeeping and unsociableness made them go to Bill Gates, with whom they were already negotiating for a BASIC compiler.

[edit - ]So IBM were sold the 'MS-DOS' by Gates, who then proceeded to go and buy it from Seattle Computer Products outright for US$50,000 which would have been a lot, if IBM had decided to renege on the deal (a 'right' that they reserve in all their deals). Of course, Gates didn't have DOS when he sold it, and Seattle Computer Products didn't know Gates would licence it to IBM when he bought it off them.[/end of edit]

So, take that either way you like, but to me it shows that not only Microsoft, but Seattle Computer Products were filthy plagiarists. here's a quote from Gary Kildall, who wrote CP/M in the first place:    
quote:
G. Kildall:
Ask Bill why function code 6 [in QDOS and still in MS-DOS] ends in a dollar sign. No one in the world knows that but me.

visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

distortion

« Reply #72 on: 6 November 2002, 03:01 »
quote:

You'll be interested to know what? I need a more complete statement if you actually expect for me to build a reply from it.    ;)  

BTW, isn't the whole OS wars about opinions and speculations? When a Linuxite says Linux is better than Windoze, yada yada that is an opinion. When a Linuxite says that Linux will overthrow Windows that is speculation.

Fact - Microsoft is the dominating force(and has been the dominating force for years now) in the software, OS market.

Fact - Open Source software only imitates what popular closed source software has been able to do for years.

we have presented numorous reasons of why linux is better then windows. for example, it's free, it has been stable almost since the day it was concived, and there are plenty of applications out there for it that can do just about anything you would concivably want to do.

you have done nothing but but say "this feature or that feature is great!" without really giving a reason for why you believe that.

so what i'm basically saying is "why don't you act like a salesman?"

now, you did say that microsoft is a dominating force. that pretty irrefutable. however, why is that good?

you second fact, however, sounds like an opinion, so why don't you cite some examples other then the gui?

[ November 05, 2002: Message edited by: distortion ]

Dr kelso; Didn't you get my memo about looking professional, and whereing your lab coat at all times?

Dr. Cox; well you know what? i did...and i threw it away. But then i didn't feel like that was a strong enough gesture so i erected a life like figure of you out of straw, put my lab coat on it, put your memo in the pocket, and invited all the local neighborhood children to light it on fire and beat it with sticks!

heard it on Scrubs, quite possibly the funniest show on tv