Author Topic: Few questions about OS X...  (Read 4821 times)

obob

• Kudos: 122
Few questions about OS X...
« on: 26 July 2006, 15:42 »
I've been reading about this OS quite a bit, and I'm somewhat confused about how it mounts to a disk...in contrast to say, for example, Gentoo, or something entirely different from that, WinNT...

I've read some conflicting arguements, basically, some saying it can't be put onto a partion/easily multi-booted, others saying it can be multi-booted with a number of other OS' through GRUB or it's own bootloader, however not a whole lot of explination of either side...

So, what's the deal? Can it work with other OS' on the same system, such as Gentoo and NT, or is it going to be a pain and want the entire drive to itself?

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
Re: Few questions about OS X...
« Reply #1 on: 26 July 2006, 16:40 »
Considering I have OS 10.4.7 and 9.2.2 on this drive (single partition) and each of them boots easily, I'd say it does allright.

It works great with XP on Intel Macs using Boot Camp. It works great with Linux on either PPC or Intel.

All of this is due to better design on the hardware side, since Apple doesn't use shitty ass 1981 vintage BIOS software. Instead, they use OpenFirmware on PPC and EFI on Intel combined with their own ROM which has graphical boot selection which lets you easily choose a partition to boot from.
Go the fuck ~

obob

« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2006, 19:35 »
Well, I think your post would help me a lot more if I was using an Apple, except that I'm not...

I'm trying this on a Celeron D w/SSE3, so any advice for getting it to work? (I've got 2 HD's in atm, and I'm gonna be buying another one purely to expand my storage, however it's SATA, and i've read that OS X doesn't support SATA (I think that's crap, given that the PPC G5 is clearly stated as using SATA))

Also, anyone know about OS X and the VIA PT880, how well do they play? I've read that the Intel 915 - 975 all play nice with OS X, and that P4M266A and K8M800 are supposed to be fine (iirc the 266A is a fairly value geared chip, the PT880 isn't quite so value geared, so I'm thinking it'll be ok?)

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2006, 19:44 »
Here's a simple way to solve all your problems...

Go here http://wegenermedia.com/

G4s for $129. iMac G4s for $359. G3 iMacs for $109. OHEMGEE TEH COMPTARS!!!111

Giddem.
« Last Edit: 26 July 2006, 19:50 by hm_murdock »
Go the fuck ~

obob

« Reply #4 on: 26 July 2006, 19:55 »
LOL! to the image

Don't be hating on my Celeron...it boots...that's got to be at least 1 point....

and wow that's a nice price, question on the G4 tower, the 400MHZ, is it gonna be sluggish, yes, no?
also, what kind of upgrades can I make using "PC" hardware, vs "mac" hardware?
(i know next to nothing about upgrading a Mac)

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #5 on: 26 July 2006, 20:01 »
A G4 400 will be perfectly acceptable for OS X. Mine is a dual 500 (upgraded to dual 1.8) G4. I added a Radeon 8500 card, but even the Rage 128 that comes stock on that series is just fine for displaying video, DVD, et cetera, though it lacks greatly for 3D games.

#1 thing is to get plenty of RAM. I'm running 1.12GB on here, but anything over 512MB should be A-OK.

Re: hardware. Most PCI cards will work, drivers permitting. USB, Firewire, drive controllers, those usually do allright. Network cards? Ehh. Vid cards? No way. You either have to have a Mac vid card, or flash an appropriate model of PC card.

These guys use regular PC100 or PC133 SDRAM, ATA drives, and the like. I recommend a G4 500, and then... go from there. :)

The trouble required to make OS X run on unsupported non-Apple branded hardware is immense! If you really wanna run it, best bet is to just get the right hardware! I'll be here if ya got more questions!
Go the fuck ~

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #6 on: 26 July 2006, 20:28 »
FYI, installing Ubuntu PPC and OSX side by side on Apple hardware and then dual booting is no trouble at all.  Ubuntu installs this program which I think is called yaboot that brings up an OS choice menu at boot time, similar to grub or lilo.

Unfortunately, it appears impossible to partition a drive that already has OSX installed on it.  My method was to wipe the drive, and then create 3 partitions with the OSX install cd (OSX, ext3, swap), and then installing OSX.  Using the Ubuntu installer, you kill the ext3 partition, and then the installer will make a boot block and use the rest of the space for itself, making it ext3 again.  Very convenient.

Therefore, I guess if you were a crazy motherfucker, you could do all of this on a PC.

obob

« Reply #7 on: 26 July 2006, 22:10 »
wait what are you saying to do on a PC??
Install ubuntu and then load OS X from installation media, and then go back to the ubuntu installation? (and to make it even more time consuming, load NT alongside that)

bedouin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 443
    • http://homepage.mac.com/alqahtani/
« Reply #8 on: 26 July 2006, 22:25 »
I don't think this forum should support running OS X on non Apple hardware.

Sorry, it's a cool OS that's subsidized solely through hardware sales and one of the few things that made me really happy to use a computer in the past 5 years; I'd rather not have that jeopardized by dorks warezing bootleg copies from their bedroom.

obob

« Reply #9 on: 26 July 2006, 22:53 »
Alright, Apple moving to x86 is a reality, and it sounds like you're honestly saying that you want Apple to stay super proprietary and super closed in on itself (which it still is, for the most part) just so that it's an "elite membership" to have an Apple.

Furthermore, I was just asking questions, and my computers aren't in my bedroom, I actually have an office :P

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #10 on: 26 July 2006, 22:59 »
Quote from: bedouin
I don't think this forum should support running OS X on non Apple hardware.
Well, it's not Windows, so it makes sense to support it.

But it's probably illegal at least in the US thanks to the fucked up DMCA (bypassing the TPM checks or whatever..).

So you can thank the fucked up DMCA.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #11 on: 26 July 2006, 23:06 »
Quote from: obob
wait what are you saying to do on a PC??
Install ubuntu and then load OS X from installation media, and then go back to the ubuntu installation? (and to make it even more time consuming, load NT alongside that)

No.
1. Partition hard drive - HFS+, ext3, swap
2. Install OSX on HSF+ partition
3. Using Ubuntu installer, erase ext3 partition and then install to free space - this forces Ubuntu to create the PPC boot block

And all my instructions were for Ubuntu PPC and PPC arch.

As a reminder, it would be illegal to install OSX on a non-Apple PC.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #12 on: 26 July 2006, 23:13 »
DMCA or not, it's still against the law, and we still have to abide by those laws. Until such time that the DMCA is overturned, the owners of the forum could still be held liable under the law for allowing instructions on running OS X on non-Apple hardware to be posted here.

We're just trying to keep things on the up and up. That's the reason I strongly suggest getting a used Mac. It's easier, better, and more legal than hacking OS X for Intel. If being able to run Windows and Linux side by side is important to you, Apple's current lineup features Intel Core processors.
Go the fuck ~

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #13 on: 26 July 2006, 23:50 »
Which is another reason I'd always recommend e.g. Ubuntu before OS X.

If you get a letter from a Canonical lawyer (if they exist, lol) you've probably done something actually wrong. They don't need to stand behind shitty laws like the DMCA.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

bedouin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 443
    • http://homepage.mac.com/alqahtani/
« Reply #14 on: 27 July 2006, 16:24 »
Quote from: obob
Alright, Apple moving to x86 is a reality, and it sounds like you're honestly saying that you want Apple to stay super proprietary and super closed in on itself (which it still is, for the most part) just so that it's an "elite membership" to have an Apple.

No, I want the company and platform to survive you retard.  What part of "OS X development is subsidized through hardware sales" don't you understand?  If they can position themselves to be like Microsoft and make money solely off the OS, I wouldn't mind that -- but it's not a reality, and won't be for a really long time.