Author Topic: Saving streaming SWF files in Firefox  (Read 1367 times)

davidnix71

• Kudos: 501
Saving streaming SWF files in Firefox
« on: 23 July 2006, 06:46 »
I watched a video on HumorDump of some wayward youth setting off firecracker bombs.

None of the Firefox plugins could get the true url to download. So I allowed the embedded Flash player to cache the entire clip. If you want to practice the url is www.humordump.com/2788

If you control>click the embedded Macromedia video player it will give you options .  Under Settings, the default storage is 100kb. This works fine, since Firefox will simply hd cache the rest.

Once the video has played completely through, in Firefox click file>New Window and type about:cache in the address bar and click enter. Memory Cache Device and Disk Cache Device will appear in the browser window.

Click  List Cache Entries under Disk Cache Device. Note the path to this disk cache, since there is more than one disk cache, even for a single user.

Scroll through the list for the humordump media file that ends in flv. Thats the swf file. Note the size of the flv file.

In the Finder, check File>Find and add the path to the Firefox disk cache so you can search for a file whose properties are the size of the file you noted. The file will have a random string name. Copy it to the desktop and rename it with a .swf ending.

Drop the file into iSquint and you will have a regular mp4

• VIP
  • Kudos: 223
Re: Saving streaming SWF files in Firefox
« Reply #1 on: 26 July 2006, 17:31 »
Quote from: davidnix71
I watched a video on HumorDump of some wayward youth setting off firecracker bombs.

None of the Firefox plugins could get the true url to download. So I allowed the embedded Flash player to cache the entire clip. If you want to practice the url is www.humordump.com/2788

If you control>click the embedded Macromedia video player it will give you options .  Under Settings, the default storage is 100kb. This works fine, since Firefox will simply hd cache the rest.

Once the video has played completely through, in Firefox click file>New Window and type about:cache in the address bar and click enter. Memory Cache Device and Disk Cache Device will appear in the browser window.

Click  List Cache Entries under Disk Cache Device. Note the path to this disk cache, since there is more than one disk cache, even for a single user.

Scroll through the list for the humordump media file that ends in flv. Thats the swf file. Note the size of the flv file.

In the Finder, check File>Find and add the path to the Firefox disk cache so you can search for a file whose properties are the size of the file you noted. The file will have a random string name. Copy it to the desktop and rename it with a .swf ending.

Drop the file into iSquint and you will have a regular mp4
Can't you just goto page info and media and choose the flash file and download it?