Miscellaneous > Technical Support

Do store bought PCs suck, or just Compaq, other?

(1/9) > >>

GenuineAdvantage:
I tried installing ubuntu on someone's PC and the live cd wouldn't even load. So I guess there's no point in installing it another way? Once the kernel boots it gets stuck on 'mounting root filesystem', then some errors on a plain bios screen show up. I'm no linux expert, nor hardware expert, but I'm guessing it's because it's a SATA-II hard drive? Or is is something else. This is the PC. Anyone recommend a linux distro that would install and work well on that thing?

bedouin:
Have you tried booting the live CD in another machine to ensure it's a good burn?

GenuineAdvantage:
That it is. I've installed with that same disk for people on about 10 machines, or close to that. And the disk isn't scratched or anything, it just stayed in a jewel case all along. I also tried plugging in a different cd drive and installing through there with the same result.

Pathos:
My brother installed ubuntu first time no probs on his sata-II hard drive.

I would check for any bios updates for that mother board, its the most likely culprit.

I can't any information on the `P5RC-LE' motherboard specified on that website
http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=9&l2=39&l3=0&model=797&modelmenu=1
perhaps ?

I would try another live cd (suse 10) as.

are there any changes to the hardware from stock ? what processor has it got ?

obob:
should have a P4 524, also, Asus boards that Asus sells vs Asus boards that Asus sells to OEM builders are very different, doubt the BIOS flash would work...

Sure it's BIOS is setup right to run the OS off a CD?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version