Author Topic: New and annoyed with M$  (Read 1684 times)

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
Re: New and annoyed with M$
« Reply #15 on: 23 August 2006, 22:19 »
Hi, Sophie.

For years I've tried to switch to Linux, but I could never find a distro I really liked. I eventually ended up getting a Powerbook. I love OS X.

Sophie

• Kudos: 79
« Reply #16 on: 24 August 2006, 14:46 »
Hi :)

I think DSL is brilliant for admin type stuff, it is a mini knoppix with a lot of handy little tools for various things. Ubunto is pretty cool and familiar because it is debain based, (thanks for clarifying) I have never owned Apples because they seem a bit expensive in the UK, having said that I would love to be able to afford one. Because they did have some at work years ago and I found them really easy going to use.

Anyway :)

I just came across a distro that makes Bill gates look like an out and out liar. It is called PCLinux, it sort of looks like Windoze Vista but, (This is the interesting bit) This distro runs on my old 32 bit AMD Athlon machine with an old S3 graphics card on it. This machine includes a 6 gig drive and 500 mb of memory. Basically in a number of respects this one machine does not live up to the "Are you ready buy now" hardware requirements of Windoze Vista.

And yet there is Gates saying to get the self same "Visual expereince" (Whatever that is supposed to really mean), you need some 64 bit multicore opeteron powered desktop Cray with "Approved" (Read expensive) Graphics cards and something like 50 gig of hard drive space. Obviously Bill Gates is bulshitting because I am sitting here with KDE dancing on my desktop doing a really good impersonation of the "Aeroglass" front end of Vista. It reads RPM packages by defualt and so FPC and Lazarus did not need recompiling. Delphi style Rapid Application Development, Well that rules Borland Delphi/Kylix  out :) Then there is Kdevelop (Bye Bye visual studio) and then Nasm (Bye bye Tasm and Masm) I may use the Gnome desktop though because As this distro demonstrates, KDE can be a bit too close for comfort when it comes to looking like Windoze. But I have to say the KDE desktop does seem to make a monkey out of Gates when he crams all that graphical junk on people's desktops with claims that it needs massive hardware improvements when KDE does the same on a 4 year old machine. :)

The difference is simple, KDE is efficiently coded, Aeroglass is not. Seems like the penguin annoys Bill again :)

GenuineAdvantage

• Kudos: 449
« Reply #17 on: 24 August 2006, 21:47 »
I had been using PclinuxOS for a while on a laptop. It's really nice if you don't want to spend time tweaking for hours just to get your system how you want it. It has a lot of stuff and the custom configuration utility is a great thing to have. I haven't tried the new version that was released a few days ago but I will be replacing it with the old version. I hope all the non-free stuff is still there by default. That is one thing that I don't like about ubuntu. They're going out of their way to play hide and seek with non-free codecs and things like that.  But I will keep ubuntu on the desktop.