Author Topic: Windows Product Activation, and the problems it faces  (Read 843 times)

CyberCat

• Kudos: 0
    • http://slashcat.blogspot.com
Windows Product Activation, and the problems it faces
« on: 31 December 2003, 21:24 »
Okay,

I realize that Microsoft has gotten alot of bad publicity about their anti-piracy "Product Activation" scheme that the software giant has been incorporating into its recient products which include all the flavors of Windows XP excluing the corporate editions, Office XP, Server 2003, and Office 2003.

What is Product Activation?

Product activation essentially ties the software to a single PC, forcing the user to comply with the software's End User License Agreement (EULA).

When you install a product that requires activation, you will have about 30 days (or startups) before you are forced to contact Microsoft and activate the product. Activation can be done through the Internet, or by phone. If you make changes to your hardware, you may need to re-activate the product before you can use it again.

What is wrong with activation?

There are serveral things that I do not like about Microsoft's Product Activation.

5. It's a pain for legitiment users. Installing software is complex enough without activation, but now it will become even more complicated. Adding product activation into the mix will make installation more complex, unreliable, and frustrating for users.

4. Server down-time. Do you really belive that Microsoft's activation servers will be up and running 24 hours a day, 7 day a week, 365 day a year with no down time? Not likely. Even if product activation works flawlessly 98% of the time, that still results in problems for hundreds of thousands of users. And, of course, the activation servers will be prime targets for denial-of-service attacks. The telephone activation alternative requires that you read a long string of characters to the phone operator, and then receive another long string of characters back.

3. It does not work. Microsoft Product Activation has already been hacked. Anyone who really wants to hack it can do it. For example the Blue List hacking group created an application called, "XPKEY.EXE" which generates new product keys for Windows XP, thus "fooling" the activation server, and activation these illegitement copies.

2. Microsoft claims that software piracy is responsible for the high cost of all of their software. If that's the case, shouldn't Microsoft be lowering  their prices instead of raising them?

1. The number one reason that I do not like activation is that Microsoft could use it as a ploy to force users to upgrade. In other words two or three years from now when "Longhorn" has been released Microsoft will probably simply refuse to give out any more "conformation IDs". With out the conformation ID you cannot use Windows! Windows XP will become useless, users will be forced to upgrade to "Longhorn" or whatever Microsoft creates.

Simply put, Product Activation offers no benefits to Microsoft's customers. None. Microsoft, however, wants you to believe that crippled software will actually benefit end-users.

Microsoft has spent a significant amount of money to create a copy protection system that, does not meet its stated goal. As a by-product, honest consumers will be inconvenienced, and possibly denied the right to use software for which they own a license. And large-scale software piracy will continue, and perhaps increase over current levels.
Registered Linux User: #376544

Proud to be 100% Microsoft free.

rklesla

« Reply #1 on: 31 December 2003, 21:43 »
I agree with everything said here.  I think they are making it so when longhorn comes out, they will stop providing comfirmation ID's the most.  This is the type of stupid shit that MS has been playing the public for years.

As far as stoping piracy, it won't prevent it.  People that were pirating it before will still pirate, they get copies of the corporate edition.  The ones that don't know anything about a PC were always buying the OS anyways.

Pretty soon corporates will switch to Linux for one of the sole reasons to save there IS support alot of hassels of the copy protection crap.

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #2 on: 31 December 2003, 21:45 »
There is not one anti-piracy system in existence that is not a burden to legitimate users.
There is not one anti-piracy system in existence that does not go go against fair use.
There is not one anti-piracy system in existence that has not been broken.
There will never be an anti-piracy system that will not be a burden to legitimate users and fair use, and will not be hacked.

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
« Reply #3 on: 31 December 2003, 22:43 »
quote:
Originally posted by xeen:
There is not one anti-piracy system in existence that has not been broken.

That's a lie. What about iTunes, with its DRMe audio files? You can only "crack them" if you actually own the songs. Asshat. (Oh, and there are more examples,  if you want.)

Xeen

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: 1 January 2004, 00:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by TheQuirk: I Just Want Attention:

That's a lie. What about iTunes, with its DRMe audio files? You can only "crack them" if you actually own the songs. Asshat. (Oh, and there are more examples,  if you want.)

http://cooltech.iafrica.com/technews/287425.htm

Get your facts straight before calling someone an asshat.

Next...?

[ December 31, 2003: Message edited by: xeen ]

HPC GUY

• Kudos: 101
« Reply #5 on: 1 January 2004, 03:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by xeen:

http://cooltech.iafrica.com/technews/287425.htm

Get your facts straight before calling someone an asshat.

Next...?

[ December 31, 2003: Message edited by: xeen ]

Ooo Winner and still.....
"if i destroyed you, i would only be perpetuating your legacy" - Me

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
« Reply #6 on: 1 January 2004, 06:30 »
HOW TO REMOVE iTUNES DRM

1) Burn a CD containing the protected song.

2) Rip the song you want unprotected from the CD you just burned.

3) Delete the old song that was protected.

It's magic! The protection is gone! Next example, asshat?

[ December 31, 2003: Message edited by: M51DPS ]

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #7 on: 3 January 2004, 03:05 »
quote:
Originally posted by M51DPS:
HOW TO REMOVE iTUNES DRM

1) Burn a CD containing the protected song.

2) Rip the song you want unprotected from the CD you just burned.

3) Delete the old song that was protected.

It's magic! The protection is gone! Next example, asshat?

LOL!  :D   It can't be that simple, can it?  :eek:   :rolleyes:
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Xeen

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: 3 January 2004, 04:10 »
quote:
Originally posted by TheQuirk: I Just Want Attention:
<silence>

I thought so...   :D

[ January 02, 2004: Message edited by: xeen ]

M51DPS

• VIP
  • Kudos: 30
« Reply #9 on: 3 January 2004, 04:45 »
quote:
Originally posted by WMD:

LOL!    :D     It can't be that simple, can it?    :eek:       :rolleyes:  

Yes it is, I've done it myself. The problem is that when iTunes burns protected songs, it has no way of making it protected on the CD. Then it doesn't know that the songs it's ripping were the purchased ones you just burned, and rips them as normal MP3's (or whatever you have it import songs as). Either Apple was really stupid, or they knew and didn't care. Since they haven't tried to fix it at all, I'm guessing the latter.

[ January 03, 2004: Message edited by: M51DPS ]

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #10 on: 4 January 2004, 08:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by M51DPS:

when iTunes burns protected songs, it has no way of making it protected on the CD. Then it doesn't know that the songs it's ripping were the purchased ones you just burned, and rips them as normal MP3's (or whatever you have it import songs as). Either Apple was really stupid, or they knew and didn't care. Since they haven't tried to fix it at all, I'm guessing the latter.

[ January 03, 2004: Message edited by: M51DPS ]

I don't think they were stupid...people were talking about this for as long as I remember.  I think their DRM scheme is intended just as a picket fence.  If someone wants to go to the trouble of burning, then re-ripping the song, it takes time, and apple is comfortable with that.  They just want to(I think) discourage casual file sharing with a picket fence.

In fact this is the only reason I'd consider using I-tunes.  DRM is an insult to the customer and simply isn't necessary.  If people can buy the songs cheaply, they WILL.  It's only the psychotic control-obsessed RIAA jackasses (who see their customers as thieves) that insist on this crap.

By the same token, I will not use Wal-mart's store.  Have you seen their licence agreement?  You have to agree that you only licence the songs:  you do not own the copy. To which I say "#$#% off Wal-Mart music and your RIAA masters."

[ January 03, 2004: Message edited by: M. O'Brien ]

In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

mc0282

« Reply #11 on: 4 January 2004, 08:11 »
well the truth is there certain people like the WPA or some people hate the WPA with a passion like my self.  the points is microsoft is not going to remove it or they going resolve piracy with it, as long cracks and hacker exist and windows xp corp , pirating Window will never stop    
and i will  never,never,never i mean never buy microsoft windows, i pirate the living shit out of it..  so fuck microsoft  

[ January 03, 2004: Message edited by: mc0282 ]

huh, what?

Kintaro

• Kudos: 255
  • I want to get the band back together!
    • JohnTate.org
« Reply #12 on: 4 January 2004, 15:40 »
Sex me.