Author Topic: Microsoft to soon start retiring Windows 2000 Server  (Read 517 times)

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
Microsoft to soon start retiring Windows 2000 Server
« on: 18 December 2003, 19:23 »
Microsoft has announced that they are beginning to retire Windows 2000 Server, and my guess is that Win2k Workstation soon too.

http://www.winnetmag.com/windowspaulthurrott/Article/ArticleID/41213/windowspaulthurrott_41213.html

WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK??? WHY??? Windows 2000 is the best Windows ever next to NT4.0. And its less than 4 goddam years old. WHAT THE HELL????? Just because they have that bloated piece of shit Windows 2003 server doesnt mean everyone with Win2k must be fucked. FUCK MICROSOFT.

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
« Reply #1 on: 18 December 2003, 19:41 »
Bah. People aren't going to stop using Windows 2000 just because Microsoft says so. But yeah, more forced upgrades.

I know Windows XP is utter crap, but is Win2K3 that bad?

Xeen

• VIP
« Reply #2 on: 18 December 2003, 21:04 »
quote:
Originally posted by Laukev7:
Win2K3 that bad?

Windows 2003 Server = Windows XP + a bunch of services

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
« Reply #3 on: 18 December 2003, 22:56 »
Oh, dear. The very same Windows XP I tried for two weeks a few months ago, which crashed 8 times during that time period, on which I got an error trying to install their own software, Office 2000, and couldn't run RTCW because of broken OpenGL support? And they honestly expect us to use that same operating system AS A SERVER???

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #4 on: 18 December 2003, 23:34 »
quote:
xeen: Windows 2003 Server = Windows XP + a bunch of services

Have you actually seen it? It's Windows XP (+ Lots of services turned off) (+ A few added).

If you wanted a free Windows version, all you had to do was downloading the trial version of Windows Server 2003, crack the WPA, and turn some services on.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #5 on: 19 December 2003, 00:32 »
Hopefully, any civilized net admin running Win2k3* has the XP theme turned off.  Eats the CPU for breakfast, and RAM for an afternoon snack.

*This, of course, assumes that any such people exist  :D
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Xeen

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: 19 December 2003, 00:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by Refalm:

Have you actually seen it? It's Windows XP (+ Lots of services turned off) (+ A few added).

If you wanted a free Windows version, all you had to do was downloading the trial version of Windows Server 2003, crack the WPA, and turn some services on.

Regardless, Win2003 still has Internet Explorer handling the majority of the server operating system, including file management, which I've experience horrors with.

Not just here http://forum.microsuck.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=000809
but dozens of other times on almost all XP boxes.

Oh, and how about that critical bug they discovered one day after they signed a $90 million Windows 2003 Server contract with the Department of Homeland Security. I feel much safer knowing they use that crap.   :rolleyes:

[ December 18, 2003: Message edited by: xeen ]

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #7 on: 19 December 2003, 01:39 »
quote:
xeen: Regardless, Win2003 still has Internet Explorer handling the majority of the server operating system, including file management, which I've experience horrors with.

That one of the thing why I think that Windows should never be taken seriously as a server. It runs all kinds off stuff in the background you really don't need for a web/file/login-server. But you have to take it, because it's "integrated".

Linux lets you choose what software you want installed.

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #8 on: 19 December 2003, 06:19 »
Well it's natural for MS to discontinue MS sever 2000.  MS wants everyone to use the latest and greatest... upgrade upgrade upgrade.

I wonder if this means that they will drop bugfixes for server 2000.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....