Author Topic: Longhorn 3718: Anti-iCandy and resource hogs  (Read 3831 times)

Kasracer

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.BinaryIdiot.com
Longhorn 3718: Anti-iCandy and resource hogs
« Reply #30 on: 6 May 2004, 05:29 »
quote:
Originally posted by xeen:

Ok..I really didn't think I'd be calling you a total dickhead so soon, but you completely ignored what I said to you.

I said you are free to have an opinion that Mac OSX sucks shit. However, if you expect do be taken seriously then be courteous enough to provide specific EXAMPLES of how it sucks. "It's a fucking horrible OS" is YOUR opinion which you have NOT backed up with any facts. Again, if you say it is shit than please start a thread in the Mac OS section and explain with concrete facts and examples how OSX sucks. (BTW like I said before, I'm not in any way biased toward OSX as I have never even used it).

"It's a fucking horrible OS, I don't understand how anyone enjoys using it." is nothing but an opinion, and one which anyone can say about anything.

Saying an OS is horrible is always an opinion. It cannot be factually proven otherwise the OS would not be used. There is no straight "facts" proving windows sucks either otherwise it wouldn't be as popular and Microsoft would change it asap (they are not stupid).

You contradicted yourself in your previous post, yet I ignored you? That's like someone saying "kill this person" and then later "don't kill this person", then you start bitching because they did or didn't kill the person.

My experience with OS X was absolutely horrible. There is no examples I can give you that can be 100% proven with links because it happened to me. What happened to me are not listed as major flaws or anything like that (which you're expecting).

quote:

You have now lost any credibility you've had since you have failed 3 times in a row in at least 2 threads to provide any facts for any of your claims or any reasons for any of your opinions. Now all you're doing is posting facts with no supportive information, which leads to pointless back and forth arguments.

I lost my credibility? You told me NOT to post the reasons in this thread dipshit and I'm not going to bother to create a new thread just to rant on OS X because that isn't what I do. I only came here to clear up a lot of the ignorant comments being spread across this horribly-run community.

quote:

I'm not trying to be mean to you. But if you don't start backing your claims up with some supportive information, you will soon be considered a troll.

It has already been proven that I am a troll, however; all of the information I have said and presented has been true up to this point.

Lime

« Reply #31 on: 6 May 2004, 06:22 »
You really are an idiot. What do you expect from an anti-ms site? Nice, intelligent discussion about the good and bad of MS, compared to Apple, and the many Linux Distros? That ship sailed YEARS ago at the place. Move on, go troll someplace else. The MES isn't worth it.

If this were my forum, you would have been banned after your first post.

Its nice to talk shit without any facts to back it up. I can sit here and talk shit about windows all day with no facts to back it up, in fact, thats what most of us do   ;)  
Yet, you come here, and do exactly that, talk shit about OSX with nothing to back it up, while at the same time, talking shit because we bash MS on an anti-MS site. Grow up.

EDIT: For the record, the windows interface defies all logic. its anti-intuitive, and actually hinders productivity. Too much screen real-estate is wasted by menus and tools, and "fluff", unlike OSX, OS9, and several different DEs in Linux. I have increased my productivity since moving to OSX from windows 2 years ago. I get more done on a mac, than I ever have on windows.

[ May 05, 2004: Message edited by: Lime ]

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #32 on: 6 May 2004, 06:58 »
quote:
My experience with OS X was absolutely horrible. There is no examples I can give you that can be 100% proven with links because it happened to me. What happened to me are not listed as major flaws or anything like that (which you're expecting).

No that was not what I was expecting. I was expecting ANY kind of support for what you're claiming. Please explain beyong just saying "it crashed a lot". What were you doing when it crashed? What exactly crashed? (I've almost never heard of a crashing program bringing down all of OSX). This is what we call details. You can't expect to be treated well when you come here, state that OSX is shit, and state some other bs facts that you then claim "you shouldn't say where you got them".

quote:
It has already been proven that I am a troll

Yes, it has. And as of now you will be treated as one.

Xeen

• VIP
« Reply #33 on: 7 May 2004, 00:53 »
Here are some new screenshots of Longhorn build 4074.

Looks like they got rid of the "Start" in the Start Menu button. Again I have to ask, why the fuck do we need that analog clock there in that huge waste of screen space sidebar? Especially, why do we need BOTH an analog clock and a digital clock right next to it? This is just absurd.    :

Looks like the sidebar has a whole shitload of crap pre-installed. Of course, MS sheeple will enjoy this bloat. But professionals do not want it there. And knowing Microsoft, it is all uninstallable. Example: Why should an OS have a news-feed thingy pre-installed by default. This is the kind of thing that people who want can just go and download. It shouldn't be there automatically. And since most of the population don't know shit, it will sit there on most people's sidebar wasting CPU resources, memory, and bandwidth:

Can someone explain to me the purpose of that huge title bar of the My Computer Explorer window? How about the purpose of that huge pane that says "12 items in this folder":

In summary, can anyone explain to me how Microsoft seriously expects anyone beyond the age 12 and those with a reasonable IQ to use this piece of shit?

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
« Reply #34 on: 7 May 2004, 03:18 »
Even with Avalon it looks like crap.  

yourmom

« Reply #35 on: 7 May 2004, 07:05 »
Now for two more bad jokes:

Joke1:
Consumer:"Can you help me with my Windows Machine?"

Service Tech:"Sure, what's the problem."

Consumer:"It sucks. It just plain sucks."

Tech:"Well just type in format C:/, hit Y, and all your problems will go away in a few minutes. Be sure to pick up a real OS on your way out."

Joke2:
"Generic rule of thumb: If Microsoft says something is 'smart', be on the lookout for something dumb."

[ May 06, 2004: Message edited by: yourmom ]

Kasracer

« Reply #36 on: 8 May 2004, 00:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by Lime:
You really are an idiot.

Irony

quote:

If this were my forum, you would have been banned after your first post.

I would not join a forum as anal as yours. If you honestly would have banned me for what I've done here so far, you must have very bad people skills. I've done nothing wrong.

quote:

Grow up.

Grow up? You're bashing MS over mostly ignorance and complaining about things in an ALPHA OS, yet I need to grow up? Hypocrite

Just because this website is anti-MS doesn't mean the users should hate MS because of their own ignorance.

quote:

EDIT: For the record, the windows interface defies all logic. its anti-intuitive, and actually hinders productivity. Too much screen real-estate is wasted by menus and tools, and "fluff", unlike OSX, OS9, and several different DEs in Linux. I have increased my productivity since moving to OSX from windows 2 years ago. I get more done on a mac, than I ever have on windows.

Hinders productivity? What kind of idiot are you that a little task bar and a menu hinders your productivity? Most programs that are available for Windows and Mac use virtually the same UI and if you want to complain about menus and tools, talk to the software makers. All of the menus in Windows are customizable and you can even skin it to look and even behave exactly like Mac OS X if you wanted. Your problem is that you're lazy.

Also, if you want to talk about Microsoft taking up space, the dock wastes so much more space than the taskbar. Huge icons for the poor vision folks and bouncing icons is just dumb. Personally, I like fluxbox's look and feel out of any UI.

quote:

No that was not what I was expecting. I was expecting ANY kind of support for what you're claiming. Please explain beyong just saying "it crashed a lot". What were you doing when it crashed? What exactly crashed? (I've almost never heard of a crashing program bringing down all of OSX). This is what we call details. You can't expect to be treated well when you come here, state that OSX is shit, and state some other bs facts that you then claim "you shouldn't say where you got them".

Most of the time, it was a CD-ROM that had thousands of clip art images on it and a browser for them. If you went through them too fast, the system would become slow and unresponcive. After a while, it almost always locked the program. When trying to end the program, OS X always crashed.

Also, if anyone was using a lot of memory with a very very large picture in photoshop, it would crash after about an hour of use. OS X also crashed about half the time someone would go to a website with flash on it, though it was using the piece of shit IE.

Also, none of my facts are BS. All of them but the TCP/IP improvements can be easily found on Microsoft's MSDN. The only thing I said I shouldn't say was the TCP/IP improvements, but I gave such a huge fucking clue that you'd have to have an IQ of a 10 year old not to figure it out.

quote:

Yes, it has. And as of now you will be treated as one.

k

quote:

Looks like they got rid of the "Start" in the Start Menu button. Again I have to ask, why the fuck do we need that analog clock there in that huge waste of screen space sidebar? Especially, why do we need BOTH an analog clock and a digital clock right next to it? This is just absurd.       :

I believe they turned that off by default now, so the person probably enabled it afterwards (though I agree it's a lot of wasted space)

quote:

Looks like the sidebar has a whole shitload of crap pre-installed. Of course, MS sheeple will enjoy this bloat. But professionals do not want it there. And knowing Microsoft, it is all uninstallable. Example: Why should an OS have a news-feed thingy pre-installed by default. This is the kind of thing that people who want can just go and download. It shouldn't be there automatically. And since most of the population don't know shit, it will sit there on most people's sidebar wasting CPU resources, memory, and bandwidth:

I also do not like the sidebar, however; it is removable and completely customizable (or, at least it will be in the finished product).

quote:

In summary, can anyone explain to me how Microsoft seriously expects anyone beyond the age 12 and those with a reasonable IQ to use this piece of shit?

Avalon will make it worth while. That and all of this stuff you complained about is customizable and can be removed/turned off (or will be in the final release).

quote:
Originally posted by Laukev7:
Even with Avalon it looks like crap.    

1. That is DES. Avalon isn't near finished yet

2. That is a skin, not what Longhorn actually looks like after installation.

solarismka

« Reply #37 on: 8 May 2004, 11:07 »
quote:
I
"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

Kasracer

« Reply #38 on: 9 May 2004, 04:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by -=Solaris.M.K.A=-:

Rally, well I'm a lot perturbed at your own ignorance and stupidity that you have posted so far!

You can't call me ignorant and stupid in a sentence which defies all grammar rules.

quote:

Alot of the problems that people rant about here are genuine complaints of M$.  To which m$ have been doing for years!

Personaly I, and a lot of other people are sick with the wasted problems that m$ is creating.  So we bring awarness of that fact and offer alternatives.

I know there is a lot of problems with MS. I don't like a lot of different things they do, but the things that are argued about here never seem to be genuine complains but, instead; complaints just to complain. For instance, I like the C# language (not better than I like C++ though), however; since it was created internally at Microsoft, they made sure it was tied into their propritary framework. I know C# and the CRL are both standardized but no one has made actual standard compilers for C# (and no, mono does not count. It ported the propritary framework. That isn't a standardized compiler).

quote:

Windows, is and always will be hard to use.  I have no idea where the hell you got your toaster analagy since a toster will do what its ment to do.  Make toast!   Not crash, spred virii or any other nonsense crap.

I don't see how anyone finds Windows hard to use. My grandparents bought an e-machine that came with WindowsXP. They figured out how to do everything they needed to do within minutes from setting up their ISP to installing Office and using it.

If my grandparents can do it easily, there is no way in hell no one else can't.

quote:

If you were so 'upset'  then all you have to do is go somewhere else!

Where did I say I was upset? Perturbed != Upset

quote:

Go away little troll.  Go wast your money on the next M$ fan product.  But stop whining on here.

I don't waste my money with MS stuff. I get it heavily discounted from either Microsoft employees or from my Work. I also have gotten stuff from Microsoft's Beta testing program and Retail training program. I spent a total of $50 for Windows XP Pro and Office 2003 Professional. $50 is nothing and for the record, I wasn't whinning, I was trolling but unlike most trolls, I actually say things that are true.

Xeen

• VIP
« Reply #39 on: 9 May 2004, 07:06 »
quote:
the things that are argued about here never seem to be genuine complains

That's your opinion and you are free to have it. I'm not gonna speak for others but my complaints about MS and their software are in fact genuine.

quote:
I don't see how anyone finds Windows hard to use.

I actually agree with you here, and don't agree with  Solaris. Windows is not hard to use. The problem however, is that it is now become TOO childlike with way too much eye candy so that the even the biggest retard can use Windows. There is a line between easy and what I like to call fisher-price-like. ANd yes, don't bother telling me that this stuff can easily be turned off. I know that perfectly well, and as I promised before I will also tell you the problem with these all these features (besides the bloat). (It's late and I"m tired now..but I will probably post a good explanation tomorrow).

quote:
I actually say things that are true.

Maybe you do and maybe you don't. But for the things you've been saying before you haven't presented any proof. Anyone can just as easily make a claim and then say it's true, but without support you're lacking credibility.

quote:
I spent a total of $50 for Windows XP Pro and Office 2003 Professional.

I stopped using Microsoft Office COMPLETELY a little over a year ago and have been using OpenOffice ever since. I use it for everything - personal essays, term papers, research papers, lab reports, etc.. My computer will never again see a Microsoft Office CD in it. I couldn't be happier with OpenOffice. Give it a try.

quote:
I was trolling

Well at least we agree on something else! Now I  see why you were banned on at least 2 other forums   :D

Kasracer

« Reply #40 on: 9 May 2004, 07:47 »
quote:

The problem however, is that it is now become TOO childlike with way too much eye candy so that the even the biggest retard can use Windows.

Heh, I agree with this. There are a lot of things power users could really tweak but Microsoft won't let you (the scope of which I'm talking about goes beyond 3rd party utilities and TweakUI, like the kernel). I remember an interview on a popular tech site (don't remember which one) where someone asked Microsoft if they would ever let power users really tweak a lot of settings in the underlying parts of the OS. Microsoft just basically said "no, we want a more user friendly environment". Bastards

quote:

Maybe you do and maybe you don't. But for the things you've been saying before you haven't presented any proof. Anyone can just as easily make a claim and then say it's true, but without support you're lacking credibility.

Let me make a confession. I am a very lazy person and my true goal was mostly to troll here (since it's an anti-MS website, there is no way in hell I was going to sway anyone's opinion even if it is made up of only ignorant things) so I didn't really feel the need to post any proof. Everything I've said thus far, however; is all locatable on the MSDN (except for the TCP/IP benchmarks) so if anyone here actually wants to learn a little more about Microsoft, they can. If they don't want to, then they don't. I'm not going to shove it down their throats.

quote:

I stopped using Microsoft Office COMPLETELY a little over a year ago and have been using OpenOffice ever since. I use it for everything - personal essays, term papers, research papers, lab reports, etc.. My computer will never again see a Microsoft Office CD in it. I couldn't be happier with OpenOffice. Give it a try.

I tried OpenOffice. It doesn't have as many features and a lot of different scripts and such I use for numbering my papers, putting names on them, ect don't work with it. Instead, it spits out wierd characters in their place. I used to use Office XP and, honestly; it really fucking sucked. Especially OutlookXP. But after using Office 2003 a few times, I can definately say they improved it. The UI doesn't look very pleasant as default but that can be turned off. Other than that, I haven't noticed any problems with 2003 as I did with XP.

quote:

Well at least we agree on something else! Now I  see why you were banned on at least 2 other forums    :D  

Doing a little research are we? heh!

Depends on which two forums you are refering too. I haven't been banned yet from a forum for trolling because I never do it.

solarismka

« Reply #41 on: 9 May 2004, 08:43 »
quote:
quote     riginally posted by -=Solaris.M.K.A=-:

Rally, well I'm a lot perturbed at your own ignorance and stupidity that you have posted so far!

You can't call me ignorant and stupid in a sentence which defies all grammar rules.

Yes, I can!  The fact that you mention grammer.  Grammer trolls don't get any points.  

quote:
I know there is a lot of problems with MS. I don't like a lot of different things they do, but the things that are argued about here never seem to be genuine complains but, instead; complaints just to complain. For instance, I like the C# language (not better than I like C++ though), however; since it was created internally at Microsoft, they made sure it was tied into their propritary framework. I know C# and the CRL are both standardized but no one has made actual standard compilers for C# (and no, mono does not count. It ported the propritary framework. That isn't a standardized compiler).
'

Hmmm, The majority of complaints I see are legit.  I.E the major virii that crops up.  Pluse proprietory tie ins.

quote:
I don't see how anyone finds Windows hard to use. My grandparents bought an e-machine that came with WindowsXP. They figured out how to do everything they needed to do within minutes from setting up their ISP to installing Office and using it.

If my grandparents can do it easily, there is no way in hell no one else can't.

The above can also go with Linux and OSX just to name a few.  My parents are techno-illiterate.  But guess what.  They can install any software they want and use any app they want in linux without the "EXEPTION IN DLL32" errors poping up. Worrying about AV's or scan checking every second day.

quote:
Where did I say I was upset? Perturbed != Upset

Yes.  It means that you are annoyed.  Well quit your bitchin.

quote:
I don't waste my money with MS stuff. I get it heavily discounted from either Microsoft employees or from my Work. I also have gotten stuff from Microsoft's Beta testing program and Retail training program. I spent a total of $50 for Windows XP Pro and Office 2003 Professional. $50 is nothing and for the record, I wasn't whinning, I was trolling but unlike most trolls, I actually say things that are true.

Welp.  Alot of people arn't as lucky as you to get things discounted with M$.  You have to fork over a lot of money or piret the shit out of it and in the end its still gonna be a shitty product which ever way you go.

At least you admit being a troll, I guess thats pluse one for you.  Your now at -1.  But the fact is your still whinning.

[ May 08, 2004: Message edited by: -=Solaris.M.K.A=- ]

[ May 08, 2004: Message edited by: -=Solaris.M.K.A=- ]

"Regime Change" starts at home!<p>Islam IS NOT the enemy! Against American Terrorism since Sept/11/2001<p>Jihad:<p>http://www.islamanswers.net/jihad/meaning.htm <p>new SuSE Linux User!<p><p>If your gonna point a finger at someone then at least have the proof to back you up!<p>trolls are idiots that demand attention by posting whatever is opposite to the theme to ruffle feathers to make people upset!<p>Often these same trolls always mention grammar/spelling since they have no intelligence of their own.

Xeen

• VIP
« Reply #42 on: 9 May 2004, 21:00 »
quote:
But after using Office 2003 a few times, I can definately say they improved it.

They sure did...they spent so much time and money DRM-ing Office 2003...and it got hacked within 2 weeks of the release (not that I'm complaining)  

quote:
since it was created internally at Microsoft, they made sure it was tied into their propritary framework.....I know C# and the CRL are both standardized but no one has made actual standard compilers for C#

I think you're missing the entire point of a proprietary programming language. The whole point of it is that nobody but MS can make a compiler for it, since only they know the inner-workings of the language. And NO, C# is NOT a standard. A standard is something that is accepted by a significant number of professional organizations worldwide and is adopted for thousands of devices/techonologies (like MP3, MPEG, ISO, C/C++, Java, IDE, PCI, USB, etc..) That has NOT happened with C#, I hope it never does, and I doubt it will. Maybe I'm missing something here...  :confused:  

quote:
Let me make a confession. I am a very lazy person and my true goal was mostly to troll here

Eh...well I forgive you. You kinda ticked me off but now you seem like you're capable of participating in good discussions, and we're always looking for decent members. Just don't troll anymore.

Kasracer

« Reply #43 on: 9 May 2004, 10:04 »
quote:

Yes, I can! The fact that you mention grammer. Grammer trolls don't get any points.

Your english teacher is stabbing him or herself in the head repeadily right now. Grammar.

quote:

Hmmm, The majority of complaints I see are legit. I.E the major virii that crops up. Pluse proprietory tie ins.

Mac OS X and Linux are both very prone to viruses. While Windows does usually get more viruses than other OSes, when other OSes get them, it's usually quite bad. There was a recent OS X virus that was going around that really crippled a lot of systems and there is almost no virus scanning software for OS X so a lot of Mac users were uberly fucked.

Elaborate on what you mean by "proprietory tie ins".

quote:

The above can also go with Linux and OSX just to name a few. My parents are techno-illiterate. But guess what. They can install any software they want and use any app they want in linux without the "EXEPTION IN DLL32" errors poping up. Worrying about AV's or scan checking every second day.

With my entire "career" of using Windows, I have NEVER seen an "EXEPTION IN DLL32". I've seen exceptions thrown by poorly made software, but other than that... nothing. You can't blame MS for shitty 3rd party software.

quote:

Welp. Alot of people arn't as lucky as you to get things discounted with M$. You have to fork over a lot of money or piret the shit out of it and in the end its still gonna be a shitty product which ever way you go.

It's MS, not M$ (saying M$, in my mind, just makes a person look retarded). Secondly, there are ways for a lot of average users to get discounted Microsoft software. OEM software from places like NewEgg.com, join the betaplace.com, go work for a retailer who sells Microsoft software, if you go to school you can usually get any MS product for free, and you could even lie and just sign up with a retailer at the retail.microsoft site to get stuff basically for free (they never call the retailer, though some swear they do).

quote:

At least you admit being a troll, I guess thats pluse one for you.  Your now at -1.  But the fact is your still whinning.

You're whinning about me whinning so I fail to see the relavence in your arguement towards me.

quote:

They sure did...they spent so much time and money DRM-ing Office 2003...and it got hacked within 2 weeks of the release (not that I'm complaining)

I, personally, think all DRM and anti-copy "technologies" are made just to keep shareholders happy and to annoy legit users. There has yet to be any software that hasn't been cracked within the first month from its release. However, no more DRM than what was in Office XP went into office 2003. It's pretty much the same with activation over the net.

quote:

I think you're missing the entire point of a proprietary programming language. The whole point of it is that nobody but MS can make a compiler for it, since only they know the inner-workings of the language. And NO, C# is NOT a standard. A standard is something that is accepted by a significant number of professional organizations worldwide and is adopted for thousands of devices/techonologies (like MP3, MPEG, ISO, C/C++, Java, IDE, PCI, USB, etc..) That has NOT happened with C#, I hope it never does, and I doubt it will. Maybe I'm missing something here...

The specifications can be downloaded for free from the MSDN. They fully describe everything within the C# language in 1.2 and 2.0. C# IS[/i] standardized along with the CLR, however; no standardized compilers have been made yet (mono can compile C# but it compiles it with the mono framework so it's still a form of propritary BS). Also, Java is not a standardized language. Sun refuses to make it a standard language.

quote:

Eh...well I forgive you. You kinda ticked me off but now you seem like you're capable of participating in good discussions, and we're always looking for decent members. Just don't troll anymore.

Ha!

[ May 09, 2004: Message edited by: Kasracer ]

Stilly

• Kudos: 29
    • http://kickassshit.tk/
« Reply #44 on: 9 May 2004, 12:09 »
quote:
Originally posted by Kasracer:
"logically build"? Well, for one, your grammar sucks.

hey fuck off, refalm is from the netherlands

[ May 09, 2004: Message edited by: The Stiller ]

just say know