Author Topic: Best OS  (Read 1079 times)

killerduckuk

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.killerduck.tk
Best OS
« on: 18 June 2002, 16:12 »
Hi, i am thinking about going off windows, but i dont really know what other OS to use. So could someone please tell me which they think is the best and why
from the duck

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Best OS
« Reply #1 on: 18 June 2002, 16:58 »
i'm afraid this is a topic that has been done to death. try looking on http://linuxiso.org/ which is a place that offers a couple of dozen OSs for free download. They are mainly versions of GNU/Linux, and there's also FreeBSD and Slackware. Plus, there's NetBSD and OpenBSD, available elsewhere.

I have heard that for OSs that cost money, you can still get Solaris 8 (but it's unsupported on an x86 processor) or QNX (which i know nothing about)

I suggest going to linuxiso and getting a GNU/Linux. Or since you are in the UK, go to http://www.yourlinux.co.uk/ which is a company that will post a full linux distro to you for next to cost price (about
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Scotty

Best OS
« Reply #2 on: 18 June 2002, 17:07 »
Welcome on board! To be honest there's no 'best' operation system but there are a lot of excellent and good operation systems. (..and none of them is winblows)  :D  

You have to explore and find out what type of system suits your needs... free your mind

I tried hard to come up with nasty signature but I can't think any at this hour so I just say that m$ can go to hell for all I care.

Chooco

Best OS
« Reply #3 on: 18 June 2002, 22:43 »
it depends what kind of person you are

-people who play games should use Windows
-people who hate reading manuals or would like the OS to wipe thier ass should use Windows
-basically all other people should use Linux including: desktop work, FTP/HTTP servers, game servers and just general stuff like email, internet and ICQ (called LICQ in Linux)

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
Best OS
« Reply #4 on: 18 June 2002, 23:36 »
quote:
Originally posted by Chooco:
-people who play games should use Windows
I disagree, they could use linux, or mac and still get shitloads of games, people who really want to play games should get a playstation (better yet, a megadrive and a game gear!!!)

quote:
-people who hate reading manuals or would like the OS to wipe thier ass should use Windows
This i agree with, those people deserve everything they get, either that or they should not use a computer at all.

quote:
-basically all other people should use Linux including: desktop work, FTP/HTTP servers, game servers and just general stuff like email, internet and ICQ (called LICQ in Linux)
They could still use OSX, BSD or some other big UNIX and it would be just as good for them, depending on what they do actually want to do... I'm against a linux monopoly just the same as any other monopoly.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Chooco

Best OS
« Reply #5 on: 19 June 2002, 02:31 »
oh yes, by Linux i should have said "Linux/BSD"

i don't see MacOS as a real alternative but to some people it is......stuff for Mac is more expensive than stuff for Windows and i don't know why  :(