Author Topic: Nero for Linux!!!!!!  (Read 5785 times)

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
Re: Nero for Linux!!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: 11 January 2007, 22:27 »
Quote from: Orethrius
I watched this happen with DOS.  Hell, remember Amiga?  Ever see AROS recently? It's atrocious.  I just don't want to see a decent development community go down the crapper because of some bad legal and business decisions.

I'm wondering now whether I can understand your point of view, what's this got to do with Linux been taken over by proprieatry software?

Anyway that will never happen.

Why?

Mainly because of the GPL and more improtantly the Network effect, while it has created lock-in in the case of Windows, it won't happen in Linux because it is already dominated by open standards so there's no competitive advantage of making something imcompatable with everything else because no one will buy it.

Fair enough, there are other alternatives, and I'm not saying everything needs to be GPL per se.

What are you suggesting then?

I thought you were implying that proprietary aoftware shouldn't be allowed on Linux; amd I right?

I'm assuming you're not a total nihilist here, please correct me if I'm wrong.  Isn't it easier to determine the legality of copyrighted source, to find the true origins of so-called "intellectual property", by making the process as transparent as possible?  If so, I'm left to wonder what proprietary vendors have to gain from keeping source closed.

I can see your point (open source is easier to prove in court) but they have more to loose than gain; the thing that they're loosing is their "intellectual property" ( I am fully aware that this is what the vadility of "interelectual property is what you disagree with)..

Lots of open source software I've used isn't very innovative; OpenOffice.org and Firefox are prime examples of this and you should know that I'm not saying that Microsoft is. I often feel that this is because companies don't innovate because it doesn't give them a competitive edge. For example if a software company producing priorietary database software decides to develop a new AI pattern recognition algorithm to pick out the most suitible applicants in for a job, they can write the code, keep it secret and their product will have an advantage over their competitors. This wouldn't happen if their system was open source because their competitor could just include this feature in their own product. The most innovative open source software seems to be geeky things like programming languages and shells where the programmer has made a library either or the fun of it or because they need it; GTK+ and bash are prime examples of this.

What's the problem with mandating clear-box code?

Nothing, that's your personal choice.

I would rather prefer some superiour software that fulfills my needs rather than having to make do with second best. I don't have to see the source code to know that Opera is superiour to Firefox, just the fact that it has more useful features, it's smaller and uses less memory is good enough for me and if I were selecting some software at work I would do the same.

I don't think proprietary code should necessarily be punishable by incarceration, but I do happen to believe that detrimental acts should be punished by severe fines.

:D

I'm tempted, but I'd have to say categorically: no.  I've seen far too much bullshit along the lines of "we'll share this, this, and this, but module X is a confidential trade secret" when module X contains damning code.

No, the whole thing sharred, total transparency, the only restriction being redistribution.

That depends, the software or the source?  If you mean the software, then I don't see that as a huge problem.  If you're talking about the source under an NDA, though,

Not quite, just restrictions on it being redistributed or how many people can use it, for example, you can't compile it or run it on more than one computer or use it in your own program without paying a royalty fee.

then I have to question again - why isn't this public knowledge? What if I find out about a number of felonies committed in the acquisition of the source code, but the NDA prevents me from saying anything for fear of reprisal?

Good point, but the same sort of thing crops up every day, patient-doctor confidentiality, business ethics, etc.

I'd just as soon not enter into such an agreement, thanks.

That's your choice of course.

What's so bad about doing this for something else millions of people use on a daily basis?

That depends on what you mean but they are already very strict rules imposed on safety critical software a lot of which can't be open source e.g. the software that runs military vehicles, airoplanes etc.

My motherboard doesn't currently dictate what I do with my software,

Doesn't Windows look at the motherboard to ensure you don't upgrade your PC?

my television doesn't tell me what to watch

Aren't some cable channels encrypted in your area?

I don't have Sky TV but I've heard that you can't record certain programs and films.

Vendor lock-in also affects, mobile phones, food processors and even electric razors, there's no limit!

My main concern is that open standards are just one step shy of real, legally-enforceable licence agreements.

The main reason why I disagree with mandating open source by law is that interlectual property is responsible for such a large proportion of the UK's economy (I can't speak for the US but I'd imagane it's not to different) that scrapping it would hurt big time.

[offtopic]That of open thing's starting to really piss me off, and this forum doesn't support noparse tags.[/offtopic]
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

yahurd

• Kudos: 384
  • Hero of Time
    • http://www.yahurd.my-place.us/
« Reply #31 on: 12 January 2007, 00:49 »
it won't happen in Linux because it is already dominated by open standards so there's no competitive advantage of making something incompatible with everything else because no one will buy it.

wrong, only 5 distros are free and everyone seems to like including proprietary drivers nowadays and some distros boast proprietary stuff, if it keeps up nothing will be free just cost-free

What are you suggesting then?

I thought you were implying that proprietary software shouldn't be allowed on Linux; am I right?

it shouldn't exist PERIOD look at mandrake 5.1 and redhat 5.1, redhat didn't die because Linux was easy to install it gained because more people were able to use Linux thanks to mandrakes advances

I would rather prefer some superior software that fulfills my needs rather than having to make do with second best. I don't have to see the source code to know that Opera is superior to Firefox, just the fact that it has more useful features, it's smaller and uses less memory is good enough for me and if I were selecting some software at work I would do the same.

obviously you haven't tried any extensions yet(you should hear music if you use it and foxytunes)you also spelled so many things wrong you NEED Firefox:rolleyes:, opera has limited functionality and Firefox has been refined amazingly in minefield from what i saw, also, it is very obnoxious to say it is better than Firefox, i see why someone would prefer it, but in the end it is a matter of what suits your needs. also because of the modularity it is possible to get 5000+ Firefox  developers working on it. so it is released more often

I can see your point (open source is easier to prove in court) but they have more to loose than gain; the thing that they're loosing is their "intellectual property" ( I am fully aware that this is what the validity of "intellectual property is what you disagree with)..

Lots of 0pen source software I've used isn't very innovative; OpenOffice.org and Firefox are prime examples of this and you should know that I'm not saying that Microsoft is. I often feel that this is because companies don't innovate because it doesn't give them a competitive edge. For example if a software company producing proprietary database software decides to develop a new AI pattern recognition algorithm to pick out the most suitable applicants in for a job, they can write the code, keep it secret and their product will have an advantage over their competitors. This wouldn't happen if their system was open source because their competitor could just include this feature in their own product. The most innovative open source software seems to be geeky things like programming languages and shells where the programmer has made a library either or the fun of it or because they need it; GTK+ and bash are prime examples of this.

not true. if it was indeed true than things like gnome, xgl, Firefox and Openoffice would not exist also a lot of proprietary stuff wasn't innovative either but some was, so too was some open source software innovative*cough*amarok*ahem*
also, have you noticed that Novell has not gone belly up? they are not the only ones who worked on mono and xgl at first but everyone has it now, because you can use the gpl, if someone DOES decide to take your products feature and add it, than take their code and rebrand it yourself, it takes a while to get a new feature into your code unless you have it first (Novell had xgl first) so you if two companies compete than the innovator will rake in and customers will win because companies have to compete or at least aim for different things so that it is a matter of opinion between them, like suse and red hat

:D
:p

No, the whole thing shared, total transparency, the only restriction being redistribution.

fair enough

there are already very strict rules imposed on safety critical software a lot of which can't be open source e.g. the software that runs military vehicles, airplanes etc.
well, yeah things need to be done in house in those cases but generally consumers profit from not being locked in to vendors because of x feature

Doesn't Windows look at the motherboard to ensure you don't upgrade your PC?

YEAH windoze does, do YOU run that POS

Aren't some cable channels encrypted in your area?

I don't have Sky TV but I've heard that you can't record certain programs and films.

Vendor lock-in also affects, mobile phones, food processors and even electric razors, there's no limit!

that doesn't mean that your tivo tells you, "no way buster you're watching the best of full house" also, GET THE FUCK OFF SKYTV IF IT DOES THAT:eek:

ps. that sounds very similar to an argument i heard "Firefox and internet explorer both let the user run programs (activex are programs)" i saw no evidence it effects Firefox and i don't see evidence it effects VCR's and tivo:nothappy:

The main reason why I disagree with mandating open source by law is that intellectual property is responsible for such a large proportion of the UK's economy (I can't speak for the US but I'd imagine it's not to different) that scrapping it would hurt big time.

that doesn't mean we would be saying that all proprietary software is illegal to use, it means that it would be open to see, all proprietary software would not just go away, but we could sue the HELL out of Microsoft for stolen code, you see

also i leave you with these notes

It is no lie that free software is more reliable. There are good reasons why free software tends to be of high quality. One reason is that free software gets the whole community involved in working together to fix problems. Users not only report bugs, they even fix bugs and send in fixes. Users work together, conversing by email, to get to the bottom of a problem and make the software work trouble-free. Another is that developers really care about reliability. Free software packages do not always compete commercially, but they still compete for a good reputation, and a program which is unsatisfactory will not achieve the popularity that developers hope for. What's more, an author who makes the source code available for all to see puts his reputation on the line, and had better make the software clean and clear, on pain of the community's disapproval.

There are general reasons why all computer users should insist on free software. It gives users the freedom to control their own computers--with proprietary software, the computer does what the software owner wants it to do, not what you want it to do. Free software also gives users the freedom to cooperate with each other, to lead an upright life.

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #32 on: 12 January 2007, 01:23 »
Quote from: yahurd
It is no lie that free software is more reliable. There are good reasons why free software tends to be of high quality. One reason is that free software gets the whole community involved in working together to fix problems. Users not only report bugs, they even fix bugs and send in fixes. Users work together, conversing by email, to get to the bottom of a problem and make the software work trouble-free. Another is that developers really care about reliability. Free software packages do not always compete commercially, but they still compete for a good reputation, and a program which is unsatisfactory will not achieve the popularity that developers hope for. What's more, an author who makes the source code available for all to see puts his reputation on the line, and had better make the software clean and clear, on pain of the community's disapproval.
Thanks for bringing this up.  While it is certainly true that open source SHOULD be better because of the multiple eyes watching the code, it might not.  I've never actually looked at the source for most of the programs I've used, and I've never found a real bug.  So the program being open source has not helped me to make the program better.  Although cooperative development probably helps the dev cycle, it doesn't necessarily guarantee a good program.  Even so, everyone points to it as the reason GNU is better.  Probably because of ESR's essay about cathedrals and bazaars.

Anyway, the number one thing (IMO) that makes open source software better has nothing to do with the openness of the source.  Rather, it has to do with the spirit of the author.  Don Knuth, Larry Wall, Dennis Richie, RMS, Linus, and the others all wrote their famous programs to do their own work.  Not one of those guys would have cared a damn if no one else had ever seen or used their programs.  But they did it anyway, because it was important to them.  Programs developed by an assembly line on the factory floor are more products than programs.  Word and Excel and iTunes and Nero are products.  emacs and gimp and troff and awk are programs.  Do you see what I'm saying?  The fact that these guys made their work open and free is almost tangential.

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #33 on: 12 January 2007, 02:07 »
Quote from: worker201

Anyway, the number one thing (IMO) that makes open source software better has nothing to do with the openness of the source.  Rather, it has to do with the spirit of the author.  Don Knuth, Larry Wall, Dennis Richie, RMS, Linus, and the others all wrote their famous programs to do their own work.  Not one of those guys would have cared a damn if no one else had ever seen or used their programs.  But they did it anyway, because it was important to them.  Programs developed by an assembly line on the factory floor are more products than programs.  Word and Excel and iTunes and Nero are products.  emacs and gimp and troff and awk are programs.  Do you see what I'm saying?  The fact that these guys made their work open and free is almost tangential.
I like that. :thumbup:
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

ReggieMicheals

• Kudos: 228
    • http://osadvocacy.frih.net/
« Reply #34 on: 12 January 2007, 04:54 »
Mostly what I find excelling over proprietary software in Open Source Software are text editors, and web related applications(Firefox, Apache, PHP). Other than that the playing field is fuzzy - I can't find a better open source interface in a Image editor than Fireworks, I seem to not be able to do in OpenOffice than in MS Word, and. Each of the examples stated above aren't even clear who could beat out who because each has clear advantages over the other(GIMP has the better tools yet can't beat the cleanliness of the Fireworks interface, OpenOffice has the better format and can export to PDFs(only format I can be guarunteed my users can use on every operating system that can be stuffed in a single file) but it still doesn't have the full features of MS Word). As I said the playing field is fuzzy when it comes to what the applications can do.
Operating System Advocacy. I've given up on the Microsuck project, as well as any of the minisite spinoffs. You can still view the new beta site, though!

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #35 on: 12 January 2007, 07:18 »
Quote from: ReggieMicheals
As I said the playing field is fuzzy when it comes to what the applications can do.
More that the playing field is fuzzy when it comes to what the applications should do.  Nobody can ever really agree on what functions a program ought to have.  So they design programs with the functions they want to have, or functions they think will sell well.  A market where there were 15 different word processors using common and internal formats would be great, and everyone could choose which one was right for them.  In reality, though, there is basically one word processor which has set a certain standard that all other word processors have to live up to, even though that standard may not have been the best idea in the first place.  So everyone ends up with a giant bloated word processor office suite that they probably have no use for.  I could probably live with an rtf editor and awk for the rest of my life, but I have the capability of formatting mailing labels anyway.  

I'm sorta saying that's a bad thing.  The whole software game comes down to "Which one is most like Microsoft Word?"  And obviously, Word is going to win that match.

I have to agree with you on Fireworks, there are many things about it that I like a lot.  But like I said a couple posts up, gimp wasn't designed to sell units or foster customer brand loyalty.  It was built because a couple guys felt like it.  There's definitely fame and glory out there for anybody who can take the gimp and make it more friendly.  Then again, the standards of friendliness in a graphics program were kinda decided long ago by MacPaint, and even if that wasn't the best model, it's the one everyone wants to see.

Which brings us back around to what I said above.  Paradigms deeper than canyons have been built up around us, and it takes some creative thinking and a dash of crazy to see past them.

yahurd

• Hero of Time
« Reply #36 on: 12 January 2007, 20:10 »
it still doesn't have the full features of MS Word

have you used word to make 3d stuff, and used word to make sure word xp users and word 95 and 6 users can live in peace?

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: 13 January 2007, 15:57 »
wrong, only 5 distros are free and everyone seems to like including proprietary drivers

That's because the hardware is mostly closed source therefore the drivers are too, but would you prefer proprietary drivers than no drivers or free drivers that contain bugs, lack functionality or are unstable because they are a product of reverse engineering?

The fact that some hardware companies support Linux is a good thing, it means more people will want to use the operating system.

I suppose, you've got me on that one, there again, I wasn't really talking about drivers. I was talking more about applications such as drawing and word-processors. Vendor lock-in with Linux software is highly unlikely even if some proprietary does become popular, for example because the OpenOffice.org.org dominates no one would consider using an office suit on Linux that isn't compatable with it, even if they prefer a proprietary alternative.

obviously you haven't tried any extensions yet

No, because with Opera I don't need any.

you also spelled so many things wrong you NEED Firefox:rolleyes:,

Opera does have a spellchecker but I don't bother using it, perhaps I should, anyway perhaps more software should include a grammar/punctuation checker, since you've missed out capital letters everywhere!

opera has limited functionality and Firefox has been refined amazingly in minefield from what i saw, also,

Looking at it another way, Firefox has limited functionality; the fact that many people have to rely on extensions demonstrates this.

Why should I bother wasting my time with buggy extensions that can possibly break Firefox and possibly introduce new security flaws when Opera does all I need without any, whilst being faster and uses less resources?

it is very obnoxious to say it is better than Firefox,

Sorry if I've annoyed you, but it should've been obvious that I was expressing my opinion.

There again it depends on what you mean by better, if you're talking about security for example then Opera is better in this regard, there are not unpatched Opera vulnerabilities whilst there is still one unpatched Firefox 2.x advisory.

i see why someone would prefer it, but in the end it is a matter of what suits your needs. also because of the modularity it is possible to get 5000+ Firefox  developers working on it. so it is released more often

I can also see why you prefer Firefox, the extensions are an advantage but, as I've said previously I'd rather do without them because they pose an additional security risk.

not true. if it was indeed true than things like gnome, xgl, Firefox and Openoffice would not exist

Why wouldn't they exist?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they're crap, I like both Gnome and OpenOffice.org but I don't think there's anything particularly novel about either of them.

They don't exist because they're innovative, they exist largely because they are, lower cost than their alternatives, they are good quality and they appeal to people like us who oppose the Microsoft and even Apple.

also a lot of proprietary stuff wasn't innovative either but some was, so too was some open source software innovative*cough*amarok*ahem*

I've never even heard of that, I suppose it isn't something that I would use.

Hell, I wasn't even meaning to say that open source software can't be innovative, it was just my theory as to why some of it isn't very innovative and there is no proof that it is less innovative than proprietary software. I just feel that the ability for companies to keep trade secrets is often a motive for innovation.

I often feel that innovators are mostly relatively small software companies who are trying to get more people using their software, take Opera for example, they are a lot smaller than Netscape or Microsoft but they've produced the one of the most innovative browsers, the lots of features that appear in Firefox have actually been borrowed from it.

have you noticed that Novel has not gone belly up? they are not the only ones who worked on mono and xgl at first but everyone has it now, because you can use the gpl, if someone DOES decide to take your products feature and add it, than take their code and re-brand it yourself, it takes a while to get a new feature into your code unless you have it first (Novel had xgl first) so you if two companies compete than the innovator will rake in and customers will win because companies have to compete or at least aim for different things so that it is a matter of opinion between them, like suse and red hat

I don't buy your argument, for one the companies you're talking about also produce proprietary software and I don't see the big delay in a competitor using code, not to mention that you can't actually make someone pay for free source software.

YEAH windoze does, do YOU run that POS

Being a bit hypocritical aren't we?

A Windows supporter might find that remark very obnoxious.

To answer your question, yes I do run Windows and search the forum if you don't know why.

There is no proof to back up what you have said above, all that is, is an opinion maybe or even a theory, it has been proven no more than my theory that software developers releasing there products as free software might not have any motivation to innovative because they can't keep any trade secrets.

Take the Opera vs Firefox security debate, why is there still an unpatched Firefox advisory? Where are all the 1000,000s of people trying to fix it?

There is also the disadvantage that hackers can find exploits in the source there again most exploits aren't found in the manner.

have you used word to make 3d stuff,

That still doesn't detract from the fact that OpenOffice is playing catch up with Word on a couple of things, sure, you can create better 3D shapes but how many people actually use that feature? Isn't this something more useful in a drawing package? Even then it really belongs in a 3D CAD program and compared to that it's pretty poor.

I would say that OpenOffice.org isn't that far behind MS Office as far as features are concerned but it is enough to put some people off and not without valid reason.

My main criticism with OpenOffice.org is that despite being more compact than MS Office, it still uses more memory, it still takes longer to load than any MS Office program. This is because MS Office is made up of smaller binaries whilst OpenOffice has one big fuck-off soffice.bin, for example you load Word and word.exe loads, you load Writer and soffice.bin loads containing Impress, Calc, Draw etc. even though you don't need them.  You might say, oh what about, swriter.exe, sdraw.exe etc? Well those little binaries just launchers, if you look at your task list, you'll find that soffice.bin loads regardless of which launcher you run.

and used word to make sure word xp users and word 95 and 6 users can live in peace?

That's a non-issue for most companies because they just use one version of MS Office let's not even mention the nightmare of incompatibilities between MS Word and OpenOffice.org.

Please also note that I'm looking at this from the user's perspective. I am fully aware that the vendor lock-in associated with MS Office is a bad thing and has noting to do with the quality of OpenOffice.org, however it does effect how useful it is. You can't just tell everyone who sends you a Word to resend it in ODF or PDF, it will put people off doing business with you.

Quote from: Worker201
The whole software game comes down to "Which one is most like Microsoft Word?" And obviously, Word is going to win that match.

Because Word has dominated the market for so long, this will be the case. Suppose a user tries OpenOffice.org only to realise that they can't do something they could in Word, they will drop it like a hot potatoe and come rushing back to MS Word. The only way a word processor can actually beat Word is by being able to do everything that Word can do and more while being cheaper and more stable.

A simple word processor with extensions might be a good idea but I don't always like extensions as the can often cause stability and security issues. Perhaps if they were to be implemented in such a way that they could fuck things up then I would suport them.
« Last Edit: 13 January 2007, 19:33 by Aloone_Jonez »
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Lead Head

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 534
« Reply #38 on: 13 January 2007, 16:08 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
That's because the hardware is mostly closed source therefore the drivers are too, but would you prefer proprietary drivers than no drivers or free drivers that contain bugs, lack functionality or are unstable because they are a product of reverse engineering?

The fact that some hardware companies support Linux is a good thing, it means more people will want to use the operating system.

I suppose, you've got me on that one, there again, I wasn't really talking about drivers. I was talking more about applications such as drawing and word-processors. Vendor lock-in with Linux software is highly unlikely even if some proprietary does become popular, for example because the OpenOffice.org.org dominates no one would consider using an office suit on Linux that isn't compatable with it, even if they prefer a proprietary alternative.

No, because with Opera I don't need any.

Opera does have a spellchecker but I don't bother using it, perhaps I should, anyway perhaps more software should include a grammar/punctuation checker, since you've missed out capital letters everywhere!

No, Firefox has limited functionality; the fact that many people have to rely on extensions demonstrates this.

Why should I bother wasting my time with buggy extensions that can possibly break Firefox and possibly introduce new security flaws when Opera does all I need without any, whilst being faster and uses less resources?

Ah, So I suppose Opera can automically download videos to your HD from sites like youtube, google video,etc...,let you use GMAIL as a file hosting service, let you switch between the IE and FF rendering engine? Or how bout converting text to binary,rot13, morse,etc? Or even control your media player from your browser? How about a plugin that automatically can block nearly every ad on the internet, let you easily block images, flash animations,etc..? Or imageshack upload plugin so you can just upload an image that you see to imageshack? Haven't seen opera do any of that.

And these plugins, are alot more refined and less buggy then you think.
sig.

ReggieMicheals

• Kudos: 228
    • http://osadvocacy.frih.net/
« Reply #39 on: 13 January 2007, 16:56 »
Quote from: Lead Head
Ah, So I suppose Opera can automically download videos to your HD from sites like youtube, google video,etc

low quality .flv files? Yech...

...,let you use GMAIL as a file hosting service,

Attatch file to draft? Or email to yourself?

let you switch between the IE and FF rendering engine?

I'm not really that lazy. I use keyboard shortcuts now to summon browsers :P

Or how bout converting text to binary,rot13, morse,etc?

Only one halfways useful you mention up there is ROT13, and I'd rather have an MD5 encryptor/decryptor, neither of which come to use for me when there's a PHP function for that and I don't need to manually encrypt that stuff.

Or even control your media player from your browser?

Every time I see an MP3 or whatever I can control the thing from the browser. I've never had the problem of not being able to do this.

How about a plugin that automatically can block nearly every ad on the internet, let you easily block images, flash animations,etc..?

There is a content blocker in Opera. If you know how to use it you can block absolutely any ad(even AdSense ads) on any page for every page you visit just like AdBlock. I can show you proof by a screenshot of YTMND stripped completely of ads if I need to.

Or imageshack upload plugin so you can just upload an image that you see to imageshack? Haven't seen opera do any of that.

Imageshack? That slow thing? I would never upload to something that slow.
Operating System Advocacy. I've given up on the Microsuck project, as well as any of the minisite spinoffs. You can still view the new beta site, though!

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
« Reply #40 on: 13 January 2007, 17:01 »
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Jack2000

« Reply #41 on: 13 January 2007, 22:29 »
Tl;dr

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #42 on: 14 January 2007, 04:26 »
Quote from: Jack2000
Tl;dr

Congratulations, you won the Internet. :D

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

yahurd

• Hero of Time
« Reply #43 on: 14 January 2007, 04:58 »

I suppose, you've got me on that one, there again, I wasn't really talking about drivers. I was talking more about applications such as drawing and word-processors. Vendor lock-in with Linux software is highly unlikely even if some proprietary does become popular, for example because the OpenOffice.org.org dominates no one would consider using an office suit on Linux that isn't compatible with it, even if they prefer a proprietary alternative.

the openness of 0penoffice makes it possible to make things compatible with it very easily, i use abiword for light things and koffice for memos and openoffice for heavy duty word processing, what if people use staroffice? thats proprietary and thats compatible

[ i haven't tried any extensions yet] because with Opera I don't need any.

fair enough i see why you prefer it but when does 10.0 come out?

i never knew that. and yeah i wish that more things corrected grammar i don't care about capitols.

Looking at it another way, Firefox has limited functionality; the fact that many people have to rely on extensions demonstrates this.

right, i agree, but the fact is that most people don't need a bittorrent client and those that do generally prefer a bittorrent client that isn't tied to something else, so why include one? i tried getting staroffice 8 with opera's built in client but i decided to go with ktorrent as opera wasn't doing anything

fair enough it suits your needs better and there is no clear cut winner, at least not as much as there is comparing either to internet explorer

Sorry if I've annoyed you, but it should've been obvious that I was expressing my opinion.

once again fair enough, thats your opinion but you quote bigpimping, making an edit so as to "correct him" that it is his opinion not fact that windows gets less secure with each release, then you turn around and oh so blatantly state Firefox is inferior!

There again it depends on what you mean by better, if you're talking about security for example then Opera is better in this regard, there are not unpatched Opera vulnerabilities whilst there is still one unpatched Firefox 2.x advisory.

if you are talking about KNOWN vulnerabilities than sure it is less secure but altogether Firefox wins in that regard, anyone using Firefox that visits this link will be pleasantly surprised

I can also see why you prefer Firefox, the extensions are an advantage but, as I've said previously I'd rather do without them because they pose an additional security risk.

i see why you don't like extensions and you can see why i do, so fair enough lets forget about them

Why wouldn't they exist?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they're crap, I like both Gnome and OpenOffice.org but I don't think there's anything particularly novel about either of them.

They don't exist because they're innovative, they exist largely because they are, lower cost than their alternatives, they are good quality and they appeal to people like us who oppose the Microsoft and even Apple.

openoffice is young, let it time, and gnome is not innovative but it isn't designed to be, just like Ubuntu isn't designed to be innovative, they are both good though
if you want innovation then go with Novell who pioneered xgl and mono and made macros from excel work in calc
and kde the most innovative thing ever! amarok, twin paneled file management and more!

I've never even heard of that, I suppose it isn't something that I would use.

you never heard of amaroK!?!?!?!?

Hell, I wasn't even meaning to say that open source software can't be innovative, it was just my theory as to why some of it isn't very innovative and there is no proof that it is less innovative than proprietary software. I just feel that the ability for companies to keep trade secrets is often a motive for innovation.

i think the ability to keep trade secrets detracts from innovation, Microsoft made no notable changes to .doc format sine 1995, if 0penoffice 2.0 was released in 98 then in order to make sure noone could read .docs they would have to add some feature or compress it a bit, or do SOMETHING big that would make it both preferable and incompatible to openoffice

I often feel that innovators are mostly relatively small software companies who are trying to get more people using their software, take Opera for example, they are a lot smaller than Netscape or Microsoft but they've produced the one of the most innovative browsers, the lots of features that appear in Firefox have actually been borrowed from it.

Netscape was more innovative, actually, at least until Microsoft killed them and AOL bought them up also apple is big and its name goes hand in hand with innovation

I don't buy your argument, for one the companies you're talking about also produce proprietary software and I don't see the big delay in a competitor using code, not to mention that you can't actually make someone pay for free source software.

if they wanted to xgl would belong to Novell and so would mono, but as Nat Friedman said "there are a couple of things we are not letting go of, freedom were not letting go of" so fedora Ubuntu and Mandriva can all have 3d but after Novell

Being a bit hypocritical aren't we?

A Windows supporter might find that remark very obnoxious.

To answer your question, yes I do run Windows and search the forum if you don't know why.

well then as you run windows that remark applies but i laugh at you're remark as orethrius and i don't use windows so you might as well say "all non Microsoft oses are Kubuntu"

There is no proof to back up what you have said above, all that is, is an opinion maybe or even a theory, it has been proven no more than my theory that software developers releasing there products as free software might not have any motivation to innovative because they can't keep any trade secrets.

Take the Opera vs Firefox security debate, why is there still an unpatched Firefox advisory? Where are all the 1000,000s of people trying to fix it?

There is also the disadvantage that hackers can find exploits in the source there again most exploits aren't found in the manner.

That still doesn't detract from the fact that OpenOffice is playing catch up with Word on a couple of things, sure, you can create better 3D shapes but how many people actually use that feature? Isn't this something more useful in a drawing package? Even then it really belongs in a 3D CAD program and compared to that it's pretty poor.

I would say that OpenOffice.org isn't that far behind MS Office as far as features are concerned but it is enough to put some people off and not without valid reason.

My main criticism with OpenOffice.org is that despite being more compact than MS Office, it still uses more memory, it still takes longer to load than any MS Office program. This is because MS Office is made up of smaller binaries whilst OpenOffice has one big fuck-off soffice.bin, for example you load Word and word.exe loads, you load Writer and soffice.bin loads containing Impress, Calc, Draw etc. even though you don't need them. You might say, oh what about, swriter.exe, sdraw.exe etc? Well those little binaries just launchers, if you look at your task list, you'll find that soffice.bin loads regardless of which launcher you run.

ok fine on a windows machine, word starts up faster but if you try it under wine or crossover compared to the windows version of 0penoffice you'll see it for the bloated pos it is, it is tied to the operating system is why its faster! i use it occasionally under crossover and i HATE its startup!

That's a non-issue for most companies because they just use one version of MS Office let's not even mention the nightmare of incompatibilities between MS Word and OpenOffice.org.[/quote]

no, lets DO talk about the compatibility issues! i have openoffice at work because a couple of people use older versions and i like to keep the peace with it and as you can save in all versions of .doc(flawlessly in 2.0) it has no "incompatibility issues" i HATE the interface and i HATE the features but it is SO compatible i need it

Please also note that I'm looking at this from the user's perspective. I am fully aware that the vendor lock-in associated with MS Office is a bad thing and has noting to do with the quality of 0penOffice.org, however it does effect how useful it is. You can't just tell everyone who sends you a Word to resend it in ODF or PDF, it will put people off doing business with you.

no you cant but you CAN open the .doc and save in .doc so it doesn't matter! from what you say it seems like you need to try 2.0 i don't think you have, you may have tried 1.x but 2.0 deals with all the issues

Because Word has dominated the market for so long, this will be the case. Suppose a user tries OpenOffice.org only to realise that they can't do something they could in Word, they will drop it like a hot potato and come rushing back to MS Word. The only way a word processor can actually beat Word is by being able to do everything that Word can do and more while being cheaper and more stable.

A simple word processor with extensions might be a good idea but I don't always like extensions as the can often cause stability and security issues. Perhaps if they were to be implemented in such a way that they could fuck things up then I would support them.___

no the issue isn't which one is more like word the issue is which one is more compatible with what we have now, which one is easier to use or learn to use and which one will give us more value in the total cost of ownership, word use to win but not anymore!

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: 14 January 2007, 13:13 »
the openness of 0penoffice makes it possible to make things compatible with it very easily, i use abiword for light things and koffice for memos and openoffice for heavy duty word proccesing, what if people use staroffice? thats proprietary and thats compatible

My point exactly, no one will ever consider releasing some proprietary software for Linux without making it compatible with the existing formats which are open therefore proprietary software on Linux is unlikely to create vendor lock-in.

fair enough i see why you prefer it but when does 10.0 come out?

The release date hasn't been finalised yet.

once again fair enough, thats your opinion but you quote bigpimping, making an edit so as to "correct him" that it is his opinion not fact that windows gets less secure with each release, then you turn around and oh so blatantly state firefox is inferior!

Where did I say that?

Would you please evidence to back up your claim, like a quote and a link to the post?

if you are talking about KNOWN vulnerabilities than sure it is less secure but altogether firefox wins in that regard,

How does Firefox win?

Perhaps it's because Opera has more known vulnerabilities than Firefox, but it doesn't matter since unlike Firefox they've all been patched.

I don't see how having more known unfixed vulnerabilities than Opera is good news for Firefox.

Obviously this only deals with known exploits because it's impossible to deal with the unknown exploits!

Sure, Opera might have more unfixed unknown vulnerabilities than Firefox, Firefox could have more unknown vulnerabilities than Opera.

You could argue that only the known vulnerabilities are more important since they can be used for an attack, there again so can the vulnerabilities that we don't know about but the attackers do either there's no point in arguing this because there is no way of proving which browser has the most unknown vulnerabilities we can only go on what we know.

if you want innovation then go with novell who pioneered xgl and mono and made macros from excel work in calc

XGL, well maybe I'll give you that but I wouldn't say that making macros from Excel work in Calc is innovative, besides correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the latter a proprietary extension?

kde the most innovative thing ever!

I don't know but tell that to a Mac OS fanboy and they'll probably list the features copied from Mac OS.

netscape was more innovative, actually, at least until microsoft killed them and aol bought them up also apple is big and its name goes hand in hand with innovation

Netscape more innovative than Opera?
That's debatable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Opera_Browser
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netscape

Screenshot of MultiTorg Opera circa 1995, running on Windows 3.1, remember that?

Screenshot of Netscape Navigator 4.08 released in 1998.

Opera was released in 1996 just as Netscape was on the wein due to MS illegally bundling IE with Windows and lack of innovation on their part probably had a hand in it too. No doubt, Opera has borrowed from Netscape but it added new features, look at it another way Netscape has gone and Opera is still here which is mainly due to innovation.

well then as you run windows that remark applies

Running Windows doesn't mean anything. Actually, I agree with your remark regarding Windows being a pice of shit, all that fucking DRM!

I was making the point that a Windows fanboy might find that remark offensive.

Would you find it offensive if someone said "Linux is a fucking piece of shit!" or "Firefox is an inferior  compared to Internet Explorer which is superior in every way"?

but i laugh at youre remark as orethrius

Was it that funny? Well thanks, could you please highlight what you found funny so I'll remember to tell the joke again. :D

so you might as well say "all non microsoft oses are kubuntu"

No, don't be silly. I wouldn't say that FreeDOS or even Mandriva are anything like Kubuntu!

ok fine on a windows machine, word starts up faster but if you try it under wine or crossover compared to the windows version of 0penoffice youll see it for the bloated pos it is, it is tied to the operating system is why its faster! i use it occasionally under crossover and i HATE its startup!

You will obviously find that the performance of programs will differ between Windows and Wine. I haven't tried MS Office in WINE so I can't possibly comment on this.

One thing I can comment on is memory usage, I've found that MS Office mostly uses less memory than OpenOffice. I don't believe that this can vary much between WINE and Windows. A program mallocs what it wants, there is no reason why a should suddenly decide to use more memory under WINE or Windows because it doesn't actually know what OS it's running under. I suppose there could be difference between how much memory a GUI object uses but it shouldn't be that great.

There again, I suppose we're talking about personal experience again, yours will differ from mine.

no you cant but you CAN open the .doc and save in .doc so it doesnt matter! from what you say it seems like you need to try 2.0 i dont think you have, you may have tried 1.x but 2.0 deals with all the issues

OpenOffice 2.0? That's so last year!

I'm using OpenOffice 2.1 and it's a myth that all of those issues have been resolved.

Here's an example, OpenOffice formula doesn't support more that one line but MS Equation does.

Open Word, go to insert object, MS Equation, enter a formula containing several lines, save the file.

Now try to open the file in OpenOffice and see what happens to your formula!

Just because you haven't had any compatibility problems, it doesn't mean that other people haven't.

I understand that people only have such compatibility problems with OpenOffice.org because MS has locked them into using their products. Regardless of the the cause these compatibility problems still exist and are a major reason for people choosing MS Office over OpenOffice.org.