Author Topic: apple  (Read 2283 times)

yahurd

• Kudos: 384
  • Hero of Time
    • http://www.yahurd.my-place.us/
apple
« on: 1 February 2007, 22:49 »
Anyone else get the feeling they will be the new microsoft?
recent news items are worrying me.:(

piratePenguin

• VIP
  • Kudos: 775
    • http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com/~declan/
Re: apple
« Reply #1 on: 1 February 2007, 23:01 »
Anyone else get the feeling they will be the new microsoft?
I think most-all companies wouldn't do much different to MS in their position. I'd think Apple would delightfully oppress 90%+ of computer users if they had the chance. So I don't hope they get the chance.
"What you share with the world is what it keeps of you."
 - Noah And The Whale: Give a little love

a poem by my computer, Macintosh Vigilante
Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 954
« Reply #2 on: 1 February 2007, 23:19 »
Even Redhat would rip us off if they managed to get the majority to buy their software but it will never happen so it doesn't matter.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

Oh and FUCKMicrosoft! :fu:

cymon

• Kudos: 172
« Reply #3 on: 1 February 2007, 23:31 »
Of course they would. Redhat as MS would be the best option, since their stuff is GPL, and then we would at least be able to have some control of the software.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 1 February 2007, 23:39 »
Quote from: cymon
since their stuff is GPL

Which is fine but they do already have proprietary extensions which they could further develop and screw people over with.

Anyway (like I said) it won't happen so it doesn't matter.
This is not a Windows help forum, however please do feel free to sign up and agree or disagree with our views on Microsoft.

yahurd

• Hero of Time
« Reply #5 on: 1 February 2007, 23:50 »
i just feel that were this to become apple erad. soc. it would be the first of many.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #6 on: 2 February 2007, 06:34 »
I've heard people say "Apple is just like Microsoft, but with better software."  I'm not entirely sure if they're as bad as Microsoft*, but regardless, ideally I want a world where no operating system has the market share that Windows does.  That way, it becomes impossible/not worth it to do what MS has in its history.

*Call me when Apple starts using their TPM chip to help out iTunes DRM; that'll be bad, to say the least.  I don't think it'll happen - in fact, the Core2-based machines don't seem to have them, from everything I've read.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #7 on: 2 February 2007, 17:21 »
Quote from: yahurd
i just feel that were this to become apple erad. soc. it would be the first of many.

if we tried to change this to an anti apple site, then the next time the webmaster visits here (in about 2014) the whole thing would be shut down, since as specified many years ago back when the site still had some promise, this site is only really against microsoft because they are against apple (implicitly: NOT because they inhibit proper technological development).
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: 2 February 2007, 18:03 »
Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
Which is fine but they do already have proprietary extensions which they could further develop and screw people over with.
You're perfectly right. Ideally, I think as much work as can be will be done by a community rather than a commercial entity naturally bent on making money. So I know what OS I'll use today.

Macintosh amends a damned around the requested typewriter. Macintosh urges a scarce design. Macintosh postulates an autobiography. Macintosh tolls the solo variant. Why does a winter audience delay macintosh? The maker tosses macintosh. Beneath female suffers a double scum. How will a rat cube the heavier cricket? Macintosh calls a method. Can macintosh nest opposite the headache? Macintosh ties the wrong fairy. When can macintosh stem the land gang? Female aborts underneath macintosh. Inside macintosh waffles female. Next to macintosh worries a well.

Aloone_Jonez

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 2 February 2007, 22:12 »
Whilst I strongly agree, paradoxically, (as you know) I still feel that commercial interest in Linux is a good thing, even if there may bea small proprietary element to it. More investment means more users, means a bigger community means more developors. Providing no one company dominates the market, no harm can be done so I don't see any problem at the moment.

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #10 on: 2 February 2007, 22:20 »
i have to agree with you. you know ESR's essay, the cathedral and the bazaar? remember, that in a bazaar, there's a lot of buying, selling, bartering and swapping going on!
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

yahurd

• Hero of Time
« Reply #11 on: 2 February 2007, 23:27 »
this site is only really against microsoft because they are against apple (implicitly: NOT because they inhibit proper technological development).
holy crap!:(

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #12 on: 2 February 2007, 23:36 »
Quote from: Calum
since as specified many years ago back when the site still had some promise, this site is only really against microsoft because they are against apple (implicitly: NOT because they inhibit proper technological development).

What?  Where'd you hear that?  (and also, what ever happened to fuckapple.com?)

Quote from: Aloone_Jonez
Whilst I strongly agree, paradoxically, (as you know) I still feel that commercial interest in Linux is a good thing, even if there may bea small proprietary element to it. More investment means more users, means a bigger community means more developors. Providing no one company dominates the market, no harm can be done so I don't see any problem at the moment.

Building on this...you know, if Red Hat were to vanish today, lots of stuff wouldn't get done.  Programmers there do most of the work on things like glibc that are important but boring.  They also do a good amount of kernel work (but then again, so does everybody).
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

piratePenguin

• VIP
« Reply #13 on: 3 February 2007, 01:29 »
Quote from: WMD

Building on this...you know, if Red Hat were to vanish today, lots of stuff wouldn't get done.  Programmers there do most of the work on things like glibc that are important but boring.  They also do a good amount of kernel work (but then again, so does everybody).
I'm pretty sure it'd all be done. Google, Sun, IBM, Mandriva, Canonical, Novell, whoever, will quickly pick up any brains. Even if they aren't picked up, they can still get all their work done in pretty much exactly the same way if they so wish.

If Apple goes down, OS X will just vanishes out of existance (unless they sell it (and maybe they'll be too proud to consider that)).

yahurd

• Hero of Time
« Reply #14 on: 3 February 2007, 02:24 »
burn os x you shitty os! integrating safari, and all that drm bah!