Author Topic: apple  (Read 2243 times)

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
Re: apple
« Reply #15 on: 3 February 2007, 04:53 »
Quote from: piratePenguin
I'm pretty sure it'd all be done. Google, Sun, IBM, Mandriva, Canonical, Novell, whoever, will quickly pick up any brains. Even if they aren't picked up, they can still get all their work done in pretty much exactly the same way if they so wish.

I was just using Red Hat as an example of the good in Linux commercial interest.  You have helped - lots of companies do stuff - and, more importantly, the community itself can't/won't do everything, so it's good that they're there.

Quote from: piratePenguin
If Apple goes down, OS X will just vanishes out of existance (unless they sell it (and maybe they'll be too proud to consider that)).

"Apple: Going out of business since 1984." -some person I can't remember. :D  I doubt it would vanish...I mean, people have "re-made" BeOS, and they had less to go on than a theoretical community OS X (which has a good block `of` open source code powering it).

Quote from: yahurd
burn os x you shitty os! integrating safari, and all that drm bah!

Sigh...I haven't gotten anywhere with this, have I? :p
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #16 on: 5 February 2007, 07:23 »
I don't think there's a need for an Apple eradication society.

Apple is making better stuff than MS is.  OSX is now about what, six years ahead of Vista?  They have come up with some really innovative stuff.  They are not anywhere near as predatory as MS is.

However, to be honest, it is pretty clear to me that Apple is very prone to being a bunch of hardcore dicks.

Worse, they fuck up on elementary things, and are still arrogant dicks.

But, I have a choice.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

Orethrius

• Kudos: 982
« Reply #17 on: 5 February 2007, 08:15 »
Microsoft made better products than IBM at one point in time.  They had to in order to survive; it's the entire point of free-market capitalism.  The problem that we're facing here is this: how do we go after a company that has a proprietary hardware platform if they find themselves in Microsoft's position years down the road?  Do we just sit by and let our hardware be DRMed clear to hell and back?  I, for one, will flush my Nano if that comes to pass.

Proudly posted from a Gentoo Linux system.

Quote from: Calum
even if you're renting you've got more rights than if you're using windows.

System Vitals

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #18 on: 5 February 2007, 16:41 »
What? Where'd you hear that? (and also, what ever happened to fuckapple.com?)
i read it on fuckmicrosoft.com in 2001 sometime, but not sure if i can find the page now (don't know if it's still up). hang on...

nope, can't find it. it was before the forums, even, or round about the time the forums started anyway.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
« Reply #19 on: 5 February 2007, 17:12 »
Quote from: mobrien_12
I don't think there's a need for an Apple eradication society.

Apple is making better stuff than MS is.  OSX is now about what, six years ahead of Vista?  They have come up with some really innovative stuff.  They are not anywhere near as predatory as MS is.

However, to be honest, it is pretty clear to me that Apple is very prone to being a bunch of hardcore dicks.

Worse, they fuck up on elementary things, and are still arrogant dicks.

But, I have a choice.

not directly related, but a very funny article: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/05/gates_apple_outburst/print.html

really, read it, folks, very funny.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism