Author Topic: I'm using Windows XPee  (Read 1120 times)

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
I'm using Windows XPee
« on: 22 September 2003, 20:33 »
Well today my school finished the upgrading process they began in the summer. Every computer in each of the 10 computing sites on campus is now running XPee "Pro".

I honestly do not know why the hell they wasted their time and money in upgrading. All the PCs before were running Win2000 and they were great. It's not like they changed the computers, they just changed the OS on the old computers.

As I'm sitting in one of the computing sites right now between classes, I already feel the lagging and slowness of XP (which 2000 doesn't have).

WHYYY DID THEY DO THIS?????? ARGH!! XP Sucks.

jasonlane

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.root10.net
I'm using Windows XPee
« Reply #1 on: 22 September 2003, 20:47 »
'systema decentia FENESTRARIA XP est lentitudo saepe'

- proprietary system Windows XP is often slow.

practising my Latin today.
The MES Anti-Prude Force
"I don

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
I'm using Windows XPee
« Reply #2 on: 22 September 2003, 21:03 »
Shouldn't that be 'Sistema occlusus FENESTRARIA XP saepe lentis est'?

BTW, I like that sentence. I'll add it to my sig, if you don't mind.

[ September 22, 2003: Message edited by: Laukev7 ]

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
I'm using Windows XPee
« Reply #3 on: 22 September 2003, 21:11 »
Ventanas XP esta muy facil?

Go the fuck ~

Laukev7

• VIP
  • Kudos: 495
I'm using Windows XPee
« Reply #4 on: 22 September 2003, 21:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy's Always On Topic:
Ventanas XP esta muy facil?

jasonlane

I'm using Windows XPee
« Reply #5 on: 22 September 2003, 22:01 »
No compa
The MES Anti-Prude Force
"I don

Zombie9920

• Kudos: 33
I'm using Windows XPee
« Reply #6 on: 22 September 2003, 22:03 »
Lagging? Hmmm, XP doesn't lag on this system(2.4c ghz P4 o/ced to 3.2ghz, i865PE chipset, 512MB PC3200 DDR Ram in Dual Channel DDR config). As a matter of fact, it doesn't even lag on an old 1ghz PIII on i815E chipset w/256MB of PC-133  SDRAM box that I have sitting down in my basement.

I even managed to get it to run decently on a buddies Pentium II 233mhz(oc'ed to 300mhz) on i440BX chipset w/256MB of PC-100 SDRAM(a system I built for him a long time ago). That same friend also owns a 550mhz AMD K6-2 w/256MB of PC-100 Ram Hewlett Packard computer. We can't get XP to run worth a shit on it. OEM computers just simply suck. They are built with the cheapest possible parts so the OEM makes more money in the end. When you skimp on part quality you lose performance, no doubt about it. Oh yeah, both of his comps use a 30GB 7,200 RPM hard drive w/2MB cache buffer that runs in ATA/66(the drive in his PII can do ATA/100 but the chipset doesn't allow that mode because it is so old). So the HD is not a difference making factor between the 2 comps.

I'm willing to bet your school uses OEM computers. I guess shitty computers should have an old OS on it like Windows 2000.

[ September 22, 2003: Message edited by: Viper ]

jasonlane

I'm using Windows XPee
« Reply #7 on: 22 September 2003, 22:17 »
I guess you're right, Viper. Makes sense......You'll never convert anyone here though      

Oh and

Billvs Gatvs fur est!

[ September 22, 2003: Message edited by: Zardoz ]

The MES Anti-Prude Force
"I don

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
I'm using Windows XPee
« Reply #8 on: 22 September 2003, 22:21 »
Yup, they're all Dells.

And by the way, I noticed two more things:
1. All the newly installed XP machines also now have Netscape installed. Sounds good eh? NOT!! For some reason that I bet even they themselves don't know, they installed Netscape 4.0!!!

2. And the other thing I noticed in the main library (the biggest computing site of all 10), is that they replaced about 20 Macs with OSX with Dell XP machines.

jasonlane

I'm using Windows XPee
« Reply #9 on: 22 September 2003, 22:23 »
quote:
Originally posted by xeen:
Yup, they're all Dells.

2. And the other thing I noticed in the main library (the biggest computing site of all 10), is that they replaced about 20 Macs with OSX with Dell XP machines.

That's just plain stupid.
The MES Anti-Prude Force
"I don

Zombie9920

I'm using Windows XPee
« Reply #10 on: 22 September 2003, 22:26 »
quote:
Originally posted by Zardoz:
[QB]I guess you're right, Viper. Makes sense......You'll never convert anyone here though          

I'm not out to convert anyone. I'm not like over-zealous Linux/Mac users who think the whole world needs to be running the same thing that I prefer. I'm not like overzealous Windows users(like that Microsoft Corporation dude) who think the same way over-zealous Linux/Mac users do. It does not make me feel inferior because everybody isn't using what I like to use. Using an OS as a status measurement is retarded.

Quite frankly, I don't give a damn what OS you all use. A person's OS preference is their OS preference. That is all that I can really say about it. I prefer to use Windows for some obvious reasons like it supports all of the software that I use and it runs flawlessly for me. Me saying that I prefer to use it doesn't mean I'm trying to push it on everybody else.

I do however take it upon myself to point out when people are talking complete BS. The thread starter probably isn't full of shit, XP may very well be running laggy on those shitty OEM school computers. However, just because it doesn't run well on shitty computers doesn't mean the OS has lag issues. If you use it on a decent computer it runs like a champ, so the blame for it's poor performance on those comps is the computer hardware...not the OS.

[ September 22, 2003: Message edited by: Viper ]

jasonlane

I'm using Windows XPee
« Reply #11 on: 22 September 2003, 22:42 »
All good Viper.   ;)
The MES Anti-Prude Force
"I don

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
I'm using Windows XPee
« Reply #12 on: 22 September 2003, 22:51 »
My Spanish is rusty as hell, and also constantly in a state of confusion. I started out with Central American Spanish, and then in HS, our instructor taught us Castellano, and half the rules are different! ahh!
Go the fuck ~

jasonlane

I'm using Windows XPee
« Reply #13 on: 22 September 2003, 22:58 »
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy's Always On Topic:
My Spanish is rusty as hell, and also constantly in a state of confusion. I started out with Central American Spanish, and then in HS, our instructor taught us Castellano, and half the rules are different! ahh!

I't good though, I'm impressed. I lived in Spain, I went there (Barcelona) when I was 3, came back when I was 12. I haven't been back for such a long time, I will though soon. And no I don't speak much Catalan. My family was there from 1973 at which point Catalan was illegal to speak.
The MES Anti-Prude Force
"I don

Zombie9920

I'm using Windows XPee
« Reply #14 on: 22 September 2003, 23:01 »
No Hablas Esponal.