Author Topic: Why I use MS products.  (Read 1082 times)

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
Why I use MS products.
« Reply #15 on: 1 July 2003, 05:02 »
quote:
Originally posted by [xile@localhost]$:

Oh =) just a misunderstanding then.

Wow... this post really went off topic    

yes. yes it did.

as for not bothering to code html correctly and bitching about ie. If you were any decent at coding and designing web pages, your site would function properly in all browsers. If you code using the STANDARDS handed down from the w3c, then you wouldn't have to worry about this. Fuck. Use your head. Microsoft doesn't make the rules. You don't have to do what they say. I swear, when we all go down in a glorious ball of fire, it will be written in new bibles and holy documents that it was the fault of the sheeple. They spread the disease of apathy and carelessness and let them selves be destroyed. or something like that...

jasonlane

• Kudos: 0
    • http://www.root10.net
Why I use MS products.
« Reply #16 on: 2 July 2003, 15:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by Refalm:
For the people that didn't now: don't use <font> tags when you're already using style-sheets. I know it sounds logic, but many web developers seem to forget that.

Font tags should not be used in XHTML (or at least HMTL 4.01) anyway, there depricated for <span/> and classes. Or at least they should be.

What I hate the most is this <DIV class=blah><span class=blahblah>...</SPAN></DIV>

Check the standards out people ALL attributes are in quote marks. Personal taste, all tags I think should be lower case, but make your mind up! Infact this site does this! The front page has 134 errors!
The MES Anti-Prude Force
"I don

TheKnifeThrower

Why I use MS products.
« Reply #17 on: 3 July 2003, 03:14 »
You really should get winex. I know it costs money but cough...emule...cough.

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
Why I use MS products.
« Reply #18 on: 3 July 2003, 03:50 »
quote:
Originally posted by ecsyle:951:

..as for not bothering to code html correctly and bitching about ie. If you were any decent at coding and designing web pages, your site would function properly in all browsers. If you code using the STANDARDS handed down from the w3c, then you wouldn't have to worry about this.

Hmm, not quite so. Eventhough one's site may comply with the W3C standards, it won't display properly on all browsers. For example, Netscape 4.* and IE 5.* have a terrible time interpreting Level 2 CSS code, eventhough as I mentioned, they may validate just fine. Bottom line is, it all comes down to the browser.  

xyle_one

• VIP
Why I use MS products.
« Reply #19 on: 3 July 2003, 03:51 »
quote:
Originally posted by Panos:

Hmm, not quite so. Eventhough one's site may comply with the W3C standards, it won't display properly on all browsers. For example, Netscape 4.* and IE 5.* have a terrible time interpreting Level 2 CSS code, eventhough as I mentioned, they may validate just fine. Bottom line is, it all comes down to the browser.    

yeah. i should have worded that differently.

Pantso

• Kudos: 55
    • http://www.support-freesoftware.org
Why I use MS products.
« Reply #20 on: 3 July 2003, 03:59 »
quote:
Originally posted by ecsyle:951:

yeah. i should have worded that differently.

*off topic* I just noticed you have more than 1000 posts! Boy, I've been gone for a long time.   :D

xyle_one

• VIP
Why I use MS products.
« Reply #21 on: 3 July 2003, 04:00 »
quote:
Originally posted by Panos:

*off topic* I just noticed you have more than 1000 posts! Boy, I've been gone for a long time.    :D  

and i spend too muh time here  ;)

TheQuirk

• VIP
  • Kudos: 315
Why I use MS products.
« Reply #22 on: 3 July 2003, 05:25 »
"Why I use MS products."

Why do I care?

Use whatever you want. Don't tell us about it. You clearly don't want an alternative (at least you don't ask for one), so why would we want to know about your current computing situation?

gump420

Why I use MS products.
« Reply #23 on: 11 July 2003, 12:02 »
It'd probably surprise you to know that the majority of websites are coded on a Macintosh.  However, since M$ is now discontinuing IE for Mac, this is no longer a viable solution.  If you ask me, M$ discontinued IE for Mac specifically to force webdesigners over to Winblows platforms.  However, I can only hope it will simply encourage the intelligent webdesigners to code to standards rather than to IE.  Eventually, this would cause M$ problems as more and more websites appeared just fine in everything but IE.

Not that this will happen, but I can hope so . . .
I can't get over you until you get out from under him.

jasonlane

• http://www.root10.net
Why I use MS products.
« Reply #24 on: 12 July 2003, 00:16 »
quote:
Originally posted by maghor:
It'd probably surprise you to know that the majority of websites are coded on a Macintosh.  However, since M$ is now discontinuing IE for Mac, this is no longer a viable solution.  If you ask me, M$ discontinued IE for Mac specifically to force webdesigners over to Winblows platforms.  However, I can only hope it will simply encourage the intelligent webdesigners to code to standards rather than to IE.  Eventually, this would cause M$ problems as more and more websites appeared just fine in everything but IE.

Not that this will happen, but I can hope so . . .

Not having IE on the mac won't move developers or web designers away.

I always find that if I develop on Mozilla or Safari (well anything other than IE) I tend have less problems. I learnt this along time ago, sort out the IE problems at the end. Also if your not using M$ standards bastardised in the first place, such stupid little JScript or Active X tricks then your going to be producing code that is far more likely to be compatible with IE in the end anyway.

I actually think that *nixes (including OS X) are actually growing as dev platforms anyway. Here's an interesting link:

OS of choice

I'll have to request this sort of info across the apache group, (xml.apache etc...) it would interesting to see.

:D
The MES Anti-Prude Force
"I don