Author Topic: Program that resets trial programs (30 day trials, 15 day trials, etc)  (Read 1413 times)

ISX

• Kudos: 0
Ok, I did the Riddler thing..but I dont think it worked.

I got DOS running and I typed this:
C:\Windows\SMARTDRV (Enter)
CD\
DELTREE\Y TEMP
Etc

And it just went right to the next line, and when I go to IE (Other people still use it, other than me) there are a few URL's in the pulldown bar.
Did I type that wrong, do I have to type the full URL each time?

Thanks

iancom

If your privacy is absolutely, positively so important to you that you can't allow anyone at all to ever see what websites and downloads you've visited then:

1. Just don't use Windows. I'd explain why but it's covered in so many other articles all over the web.

2. If you're running Linux (and that's just one example - there are loads of other secure OS's out there for the i386) you can mount your ~/.netscape/cache directory (if you're using Netscape) on a seperate 100MB partition and zero it every time you log on or off the machine. Practically no chance of anyone finding out what you've been up to. Unless of course you're on a corporate LAN which is logged through the proxy server...

In any case, if you're really *that* worried about what you're leaving behind, read up as much about cache files etc. as you can, to understand more about them and how to get rid of them. Google is Your Friend.

ISX

Ok, does anyone know if I did something wrong in MS DOS?
C:\Windows\SMARTDRV (Enter)
CD\
DELTREE\Y TEMP
Etc

I won't be using IE anymore, i'm gonna use Mozilla..so once I get rid of this it wont be a problem.

And, how do you get rid of find fast?

Thanks

iancom

I'm afraid I've never really used IE on any of my regular systems, so I can't really say what you might have been doing wrong there.

However, the commands you listed in your post seem to do the following:

start up SMARTDRV - all this does is speed up disk access in DOS mode, if it doesn't work it won't affect your results.

delete c:\temp.  As far as I know, IE has never kept any of its files in there anyway.

The directories you really want to delete are the later ones mentioned in the article: cookies, tempor~1 and history.

From what you've said it seems that for whatever reason you didn't actually make it that far?

What OS are you using? The deltree command certainly doesn't work on my Win2K machine, so it may be something like that...

iancom

Sorry... forgot about FindFast!

Horrible program. Will steal many resources from you with no benefit.

1. Remove it from your (and all other profiles) startup folder. Usually start-programs-startup.

2. Remove all indices... start-control panel-findfast and delete the C: drive index (plus any other drives/partitions you may have).

Calum

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 1000
    • Calum Carlyle's music
You can go to Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs>Findfast and that will uninstall the beggar, then you may have to do a Find/Search for files or folders containing FindFast and use yr judgement to decide which ones to delete.
If installing Office again, i found they give you the option not to install FindFast in the first place. This is M$Office97 i am talking about so it may not be the case in later versions.
visit these websites and make yourself happy forever:
It's my music! | My music on MySpace | Integrational Polytheism

ISX

So, what commands do I NEED to type in DOS?

About find fast:

I go to Add/Remove and findfast doesn't show up, I deleted the index but I can't remove findfast.

Ron

Info's in
                    http://fuckmicrosoft.com/content/ms-hidden-files.shtml

as mentioned above. And I beat Bill Gates. I did a format /u and MSUndelete couldn't. Haha Bill. Oops.Still, more space for Linux (when I finally get it)
Can anyone tell me where I can get any decent version on cd without paying
:eek:
I see dumb people
         :eek:

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
Go to http://www.lsl.com and I think you will find you can order any distro "cheap".  RedHat 7.2 for around $3 for instance....
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

magnus

quote:
Originally posted by Ron:
Can anyone tell me where I can get any decent version on cd without paying

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
how big an inbox would one need to cope with such an arrangement?

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
640MB     ISPs *love* it when you try and email 640MB ISO files.  It's good for their mail servers, and the dialup user just loves to receive files this big.  Wonder how many weeks it would take for the receiver to be online waiting for his message to download to his local machine?  
Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Calum

• Global Moderator
    • Calum Carlyle's music
i guess 3 weeks, given telephone cable noise/sync issues/other x factor.
Great! I can just set my cd image to download, then nip off on a 3 week holiday, and it MIGHT be finished by the time i get back! (except that the isp would have cut me off after 4 hours!)
The wonders of modern technology!   ;)

Master of Reality

• VIP
  • Kudos: 177
    • http://www.bobhub.tk
it took me around 3 hours to dl three mandrake iso's
(there is three cd's for mandrake)

Disorder | Rating
Paranoid: Moderate
Schizoid: Moderate