Author Topic: M$ likes to shove its shit down people's throats  (Read 871 times)

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
M$ likes to shove its shit down people's throats
« on: 3 September 2004, 23:28 »
So today I installed Service Pack 2 for Windoze XPee. I didn't want to do it, nor do I want to use XPee at all in the first place, but I'm forced to use it for some stuff at school and I was forced to install SP2 because of all the viruses on the campus network.

I was hoping to get it to install the cumulative set of patches to cover all the holes in the system. But What I do I get in addition to that?
Windows Media Player Series 9 installed
DirectX 9.0c installed

Piece of shit didn't even ask if I wanted that. What crap!

udaki

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #1 on: 4 September 2004, 02:39 »
I may agree with you on the windows media player 9 thing its a bloated piece of shit but directx?Microsoft did good on the directx all my games played flawless with directx and kinda glitchy and slow on opengl

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #2 on: 4 September 2004, 04:07 »
My dad uses WMP 7...I wonder what he'll think after I install SP2 there.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Xeen

• VIP
  • Kudos: 55
« Reply #3 on: 4 September 2004, 05:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by udaki:
I may agree with you on the windows media player 9 thing its a bloated piece of shit but directx?Microsoft did good on the directx all my games played flawless with directx and kinda glitchy and slow on opengl

The point is that I didn't want DirextX 9.0c installed there, whether it sucks or not. I have no need for it. I dont play games. Things like this should be asked the user before they happen. That is one of the biggest problems today with not just Microsoft but almost every other major software company.

zao

« Reply #4 on: 4 September 2004, 08:53 »
quote:
Microsoft did good on the directx all my games played flawless with directx and kinda glitchy and slow on opengl

Most PC games are designed with DirectX in mind so there are little optimization for OpenGL. This is a very bad pratice from PC developers because the source code will be very hard to be ported on other OS. DirectX is Microsoft only (which means Other OS unlikely to get its support) while OpenGL is available on most OS.

hm_murdock

• VIP
  • Kudos: 378
  • The Lord of Thyme
« Reply #5 on: 4 September 2004, 11:57 »
The shit isn't gonna hurt you, ya know. Once it's installed, it's removeable I believe, save for WMP9. Windows Media 9 is nothing more than updated WMV/WMA codecs and a new player fontend. It's the same size as what was there before.

As for whoever's dad uses WMP7... how will this affect him? If your OS runs Media 7, then it obviously isn't XP. XP was released with 8. :-D
Go the fuck ~

worker201

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 703
    • http://www.triple-bypass.net
« Reply #6 on: 4 September 2004, 14:15 »
That's weird, because according to all the update information I have seen, DirectX and WMP cannot be installed at the same time as other updates.  So they're usually pretty easy to avoid.

And while I haven't gotten it yet, I'm sure that the install is somewhat customizable, maybe.  Fuck it, it ain't my computer, it's the company's.  I sure as hell won't be having any Wincrap on my own machines.

WMD

• Global Moderator
  • Kudos: 391
    • http://www.dognoodle99.cjb.net
« Reply #7 on: 4 September 2004, 20:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyJames: GenSTEP Founder:As for whoever's dad uses WMP7... how will this affect him? If your OS runs Media 7, then it obviously isn't XP. XP was released with 8. :-D

7, 8, what's the difference.  :D   He does have XP.
My BSOD gallery
"Yes there's nothing wrong with going around being rude and selfish, killing people and fucking married women, but being childish is a cardinal sin around these parts." -Aloone_Jonez

Novaz04

« Reply #8 on: 17 September 2004, 12:42 »
DirectX is microsofts little dirty way of putting pressure on developers to not port to other OS'es.

mobrien_12

• VIP
  • Kudos: 711
    • http://www.geocities.com/mobrien_12
« Reply #9 on: 17 September 2004, 13:34 »
quote:
Originally posted by Novaz04:
DirectX is microsofts little dirty way of putting pressure on developers to not port to other OS'es.

One of the things I noticed about WinXP was that it included drivers for high end Nvidia and ATI boards, but ONLY with D3D drivers, NO OPENGL.
In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight....

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #10 on: 17 September 2004, 15:41 »
quote:
Novaz04: DirectX is microsofts little dirty way of putting pressure on developers to not port to other OS'es.

Bwa, if you make a game in SDL+OpenGL first, it can be easily ported to DirectX. Look at Unreal Tournament 2004 or Neverwinter Nights for example.

Novaz04

« Reply #11 on: 17 September 2004, 15:57 »
How long does porting take a company? If it's a long time, they would probably jump the gun first and develop it on DirectX first, because of Windows' huge market share. This wouldn't cover Mac - Direct X porting though, would it?

Refalm

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 704
  • Sjembek!
    • RADIOKNOP
« Reply #12 on: 17 September 2004, 18:12 »
quote:
Novaz04: How long does porting take a company? If it's a long time, they would probably jump the gun first and develop it on DirectX first, because of Windows' huge market share. This wouldn't cover Mac - Direct X porting though, would it?

It doesn't take long if the engine is build on SDL+OpenGL. The only thing to do then is to write a DirectX porter for it.

The game devs work on it in SDL+OpenGL and the programmers work on the engine and the port programs. It all depends on the engine.

For example, the Half-Life 2 engine is constructed from the beginning in DirectX. Porting it to Linux will be very unlikely.

The DOOM III engine has it's base in SDL+OpenGL, and porting is much easier.

cX_GX

« Reply #13 on: 19 September 2004, 11:57 »
Microsoft likes to Ram all their crap down your throat.  Trying to remove 7-8-9 WMP and install mediaplayer 6.4 on a windows XP box is a chore and a half.  Also they force you to use MSN messager 5.0 or later so you get the advantage of all the latest bloat.