Author Topic: Windows- Big Brother 1984  (Read 833 times)

Dressler

• Kudos: 0
Windows- Big Brother 1984
« on: 27 November 2002, 01:33 »
I have given up on Linux...Ok, I don't know how to program (actually Mandrake worked fine, though no matter what I did my Ethernet wouldn't work).
MY RedHat freezes upon boot. Anyways, I have no interest in using Linux, I just want to kill off every kind of spyware that XP has installed...
How do I do this?
Gates...Damn him, Damn that man!

xyle_one

• VIP
  • Kudos: 135
« Reply #1 on: 27 November 2002, 01:42 »
you dont have to know how to program to use linux, and if you have any questions, or something just will not work, ask somebody on this forum, or at someplace like LinuxNewbie.org
If you really want to get rid of the spyware, your only option is to get rid of windows. if you dont like liunx, maybe save the cash and buy a mac. osX is very easy to get into and use, and if you are feeling adventurous, you can always open up the terminal and learn the command line/darwin. though, i think linux is the most feasable option though, since you already have the computer, and the os. anyways, i say dont give up!! it took me a while to get comfortable with linux, but i found redhat8 to be a very nice choice. it picked up my ethernet card automatically, and i was up and running in no-time.
okay, to kill the spyware, you have to get rid of windows. period.

Dressler

« Reply #2 on: 27 November 2002, 02:00 »
I don't know what to do. When I am supposed to log on in RH8 the computer just freezes. For someone like me who is only good at Windows (shameful, I know), I can't see what I could do to resolve this. Already reinstall it 3 times, but it didn't help. Help?

pkd_lives

« Reply #3 on: 27 November 2002, 02:03 »
You can disconnect your computer from the internet. Never connect it up again. This is the only way to stop your computer speaking to Microsoft Corporation. I know that's stupid and impractical.

This is why so many people make the switch - the option to stay with what they've got is no longer viable. The constrictive EULA - which in some cases may actually be illegal, a company that has been convicted for not playing by the rules. It is insecure and bug ridden - with a bug response time of months at best, spyware and licensing and constant upgrade costs.

Your hardware vendor may not support Linux, that is hardly the fault of Linux. Many people like you want to switch from an ideologically stance, and that means either commitment by you or not. How deep does you hatred run?

Personnally I would stop using computers altogether if M$ were the only option. I'd pack it up and become a lumberjack. However they are not. Lack of knowledge is all that is holding you back, and that can be cured. That is what the net is all about (information abounds out here). So maybe you can't switch suddenly, do it slowly. There are plenty of people on this forum who dual boot, until they have cured their deficiencies of knowledge, others are just waiting for a few more games to come out under Linux.

Hell it's taken me six months to get my network card running under redhat, I have multiple booted with 2K, 98, Mandrake Linux. I used what worked ineffectually until I could get what I wanted up and running.

Or buy a Mac.

Until then use non-M$ apps. Openoffice, mozilla, opera, etc.
Tough - Adapt or die : Read The Fucking Manual.

Local Area Network in Australia: the LAN down under.

voidmain

• VIP
  • Kudos: 184
    • http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/
« Reply #4 on: 27 November 2002, 02:07 »
If you would like to put forth the effort could you give us as much information about your hardware as you can? Computer make/model, video card make/model/chipset, network card make/model/chipset, processor make/model, sound card make/model. Does it also happen if you try and log in to KDE rather than Gnome?

[ November 26, 2002: Message edited by: void main ]

Someone please remove this account. Thanks...

Dressler

« Reply #5 on: 27 November 2002, 16:30 »
AMD Athlon 1.333 Ghz 512mb RAM (SD) one 5400 rpm HD one 7200 rpm HD MS-6340 via kt133 chipset Geforce2 MX The ethernet card is pretty unknown, made by a Danish company called Sandberg.

It logs into the RedHat boot thing where I choose which OS i want to boot. If i choose RH, it goes thorugh all those steps, and the login screen is there. Then it freezes.

DJ

• http://mypage.iu.edu/~dpjackso
« Reply #6 on: 29 November 2002, 23:58 »
I am just glad I have another PC as, dual booting has not worked for me  :(  but Linux will prevail as soon as I learn it all

Dj
=)

beltorak0

• http://www.angelfire.com/realm/beltorak
« Reply #7 on: 30 November 2002, 13:48 »
is there a way to kill the graphical login for redhat without needing to boot into redhat?  I think there might be an error message that is not visible under the GUI; or is there a console that maintains separation from the GUI login?  In slackware it is tty4;  how about passing single-user-mode to the kernel?

Just a few ideas about how to find out what is going wrong; I don't know how to do any of them -- i boot to a console.

-t.

btw; you might try to download knoppix or demo-linux and run linux purely from a cd for a while.... or use it to attempt to get redhat to boot single-user without the GUI login....  and if yer feeling very adventurous, install slackware, debian, or LFS/Gentoo  ;)

[ November 30, 2002: Message edited by: beltorak0 ]

from Attrition.Org

quote:
Like many times before, Microsoft is re-inventing the wheel and opting for something other than round.

-t.

tr_one

• http://www.
« Reply #8 on: 30 November 2002, 15:20 »
4 months it took me to set-up my eth network. I still don't know how I did it  :D  but it works now. it takes time and a willingness to read about the system and the problem you are having. don't discount the fact that the ethernet card might not work with linux. you might have to look it up and see if it does work
Red Hat Hardware Compatibility List. ask for help in the unix/linuix fourm
UNIX/Linux style systems

smokey

« Reply #9 on: 30 November 2002, 17:58 »
<semi offtopic>
I quite like using linux but some things (like permissions) really piss me off sometimes. I would use Linux now instead of windos except it hates my radeon  :( . I am deciding if I should temporarily downgrade to my GeForce 3 to try out Mandrake 9.
</semi offtopic>

You dont need to know how to program to use Linux - you just need to be able to read. It is easy enough and once you do it you will find it painless afterwards.

As for killing off spyware in XP - I dont know any alternative to the following :
1) Aquire a Linux install CD set
2) Insert Disc 1
3) Reboot computer
4) Delete all partitions with filesystem type of NTFS, FAT32 and FAT16.
5) Continue with Linux install

well you get my point  

<*puts on flame retardant suit*> ok im ready   :D
//this is how I was born :)

cat /dev/urandom > /dev/mybrain

Tip for win98 (l)users: type copy /con/con in your command prompt to increase stability

choasforages

• VIP
  • Kudos: 7
    • http://it died
« Reply #10 on: 30 November 2002, 22:11 »
is windoze on it?

ok goto my computer right click it, goto the hardware section and goto the network section or something like that and click properties on the network card. tell the exact model  listed. if that doesn't help and you have some sort  of linux running type

cat /proc/pci

and tell us what it said
x86: a hack on a hack of a hackway
alpha, hewlett packed it A-way
ppc: the fruity way
mips: the graphical way
sparc: the sunny way
4:20.....forget the DMCA for a while!!!